Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 06-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #2321
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Red's Fans Check in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Dan, sports discussion:

How would you upgrade this team at this moment? No right or wrong answer, b/c you don't work in the front office. Same goes for all of us.

Adam, how would you upgrade this team?

Hugh, how would you upgrade this team?

Waffle, how would you upgrade this team?

We are obviously not gonna make the WS this year, but making the playoffs is a decent possibility at this point, despite being in 4th place right now. It's still before the All-Star break, so there's plenty of time. We're only 3 games back.

No wrong or right answer for anyone, but please be realistic. Don't come out and say let's get Pujols, Holiday, Lincecum, Wilson, Rivera, and the likes that we have absolutely NO chance of acquiring at this point. I know SF needs a catcher, but we're not gonna get Lincecum, Wilson, or any other big name from their team in return for Hernandez right now. He's awesome at offense this year, but he's old and starting to decline, especially at defense. Hanigan is obviously the better game caller and defender.
We could get a decent pitcher or starting position if we trade Hernandez, Alonso, maybe Stubbs, and someone else in a deal, but I'm not counting on it.

The fact is, SF is shopping for a good catcher with Posey out for the season. Ramon is only under contract for the rest of this year. Posey will be back next year, so it's only fitting if we in fact do trade a catcher for someone of worth, that it will be Hernandez. Hanigan's under contract past this year, and besides, I'd hate to give up his defense and game calling skills.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #2322
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

They need a starting pitcher or two. The talk was of Liriano, but I am not sure who they have on the market right now. If the Giants are in the discussion at trade time, you need to make an effort to get Cain or, at minimum, Vogelsong. Renteria and Hernandez work well in the trade with 2 or Sigle/Double-A prospects. It shouldn't take much to get a decent starting pitcher from the Giants in exchange for a few players with a servicable catcher.

I am interested to see if Willis can continue being a viable pitcher in Louisville, it would be nice to see him take another run at the big show. He was some kind of dominant for the Marlins and if he can return to form, he would be a very good 4 or 5 starter.

The Reds need to make a serious run at Reyes if he is available. Stubbs has to be included in that package and you can afford to run Janish with him as well. At this point, Janish has done little to convince me that he is more than a servicable day off for infielders. The argument against is obviously being able to afford him and Phillips in the years to come. He may not stay regardless, but they may both like the idea of having the best middle infield in baseball and batting 1-2 in the order in front of Votto. You have to believe that if this team isn't going to make the playoffs consistently, not talking 3 times in 7 years, but every year for a few years: Votto is gone and Phillips is gone. They are both the top 5 in their position in MLB and don't want to squander good baseball on a bad team. Might they stay for less money, yes, but not 20 million less.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:40 PM   #2323
Acesfull

Not sure why everyone is so high on Reyes when they have a great SS hitting like crazy in Louisville. I would be happy if they got rid of Stubbs though. He is HORRENDOUS
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #2324
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

There really isn't too much we can do. I'm not down on Stubbs like the rest of you. A nice speed/power combo. So, he strikes out a lot. A .250 hitter with 20/20 or 30/30 potential is ok in my book. He could be a good leadoff hitter if he did improve his strike zone awareness. He IS young, so I don't give up on him yet by any stretch. Reyes would indeed be great, but I doubt we'll get him at this point. I think that Henley is being shopped, but if he would change his attitude with a change of scenery is anybody's guess.

If our pitching stays strong, if our hitting remains decent, we could go far indeed. Volquez looked very good today. Cueto is hot, Arroyo can be very good, and the sticky fingers guy is also pitching well.

So- big IF- we play close to our ability we should/could go quite far even w/o changing much if anything.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:52 PM   #2325
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesfull View Post
Not sure why everyone is so high on Reyes when they have a great SS hitting like crazy in Louisville. I would be happy if they got rid of Stubbs though. He is HORRENDOUS
Reyes leads the NL in average, hits, triples and runs, 2nd in stolen bases, 5th in OBP, 6th in OPS, 4th in doubles, 7th in slugging. He ranks in the top ten in nearly every category besides HR. The defending NL MVP isn't even in the top ten in 5 categories, let alone 9.

He is a lead off hitter and has struck out only 26 times in 76 games, compare that to the Reds lead off hitter who has 111 strikeouts. It would be nice to upgrade twice with one player, leadoff and SS would get gigantic boosts. Plus the chance to unload an underachieving, overhyped, bad defending CF for an All-Star would be beneficial to Dusty. For some reason, albeit unjustified, Stubbs has to play every day.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:56 PM   #2326
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
There really isn't too much we can do. I'm not down on Stubbs like the rest of you. A nice speed/power combo. So, he strikes out a lot. A .250 hitter with 20/20 or 30/30 potential is ok in my book. He could be a good leadoff hitter if he did improve his strike zone awareness. He IS young, so I don't give up on him yet by any stretch. Reyes would indeed be great, but I doubt we'll get him at this point. I think that Henley is being shopped, but if he would change his attitude with a change of scenery is anybody's guess.

If our pitching stays strong, if our hitting remains decent, we could go far indeed. Volquez looked very good today. Cueto is hot, Arroyo can be very good, and the sticky fingers guy is also pitching well.

So- big IF- we play close to our ability we should/could go quite far even w/o changing much if anything.
I like your way of thinking, Hugh. But who is Henley?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Reyes leads the NL in average, hits, triples and runs, 2nd in stolen bases, 5th in OBP, 6th in OPS, 4th in doubles, 7th in slugging. He ranks in the top ten in nearly every category besides HR. The defending NL MVP isn't even in the top ten in 5 categories, let alone 9.

He is a lead off hitter and has struck out only 26 times in 76 games, compare that to the Reds lead off hitter who has 111 strikeouts. It would be nice to upgrade twice with one player, leadoff and SS would get gigantic boosts. Plus the chance to unload an underachieving, overhyped, bad defending CF for an All-Star would be beneficial to Dusty. For some reason, albeit unjustified, Stubbs has to play every day.
I'd love to have Reyes, Adam, but at this point, I don't think it's a possibility anymore.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM   #2327
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

BTW, I love the discussion in here today!

Insert quote here.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #2328
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:

If anyone has noticed, Volquez looks good when Hanigan is behind the plate. When Hernandez is behind the plate, Volquez sucks. I still say Volquez sucks, but it seems that Hanigan is the one who keeps our guys decent. He's got the lower ERA in games vs. Hernandez.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #2329
hotreds

Bolivar

Quote:
I like your way of thinking, Hugh. But who is Henley?
Ramirez
Old 06-29-2011, 08:46 PM   #2330
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Ramirez
hanley Ramirez? He put up Stubbs numbers last year, yet he had a much better average, but he's virtually worthless this year. That's why GOOD OL' DAVEY benched him. You gotta love DAVEY. I was always a Marge fan, but that was the worst decision she ever made, getting rid of Davey. He could have taken the team to at least one more WS in the 90s.

Insert quote here.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:09 PM   #2331
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I would bring up Cozart and get rid of Janish. I thought Janish would be good, but he turned out to only be good for his defense. I would like to see Heisey play more.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #2332
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Reds fail
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 PM   #2333
hotreds

Bolivar

Quote:
hanley Ramirez? He put up Stubbs numbers last year, yet he had a much better average, but he's virtually worthless this year. That's why GOOD OL' DAVEY benched him. You gotta love DAVEY. I was always a Marge fan, but that was the worst decision she ever made, getting rid of Davey. He could have taken the team to at least one more WS in the 90s.
They say he is fed up with Fla. He has a world of talent, but the question is if he can harness it again or if all the money he has made has made him lazy. The multi million dollar question. He is more likely to be available than Reyes. But, do we want him? At any price?
Old 07-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #2334
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Saw the River Bats tonight while I'm home in Louisville on leave. Adam Wood pitched a good game, is he coming off the D.L? Bats won 2-4 against the Braves farm team... So, Bats Win Bats WIN
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 08:52 PM   #2335
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

That was ugly tonight
Old 07-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #2336
Acesfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
That was ugly tonight
word.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #2337
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Votto, Phillips and Bruce make the All-Star team. Not surprisingly, none are starters. Votto got fortunate that Pujols got hurt, fans stopped voting for him once he got hurt.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #2338
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Reds win! Reds win!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #2339
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Stubbs for MVP
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 PM   #2340
hotreds

Bolivar

After a game, I can always tell who won by the last post- if it's Dan, we won, if it's Adam, we lost.