Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Anyone here buy beef from a local farm?

Thinking about buying beef by the quarter...looks to be around 200# worth of beef with various cuts obviously. Price per lb is $1.85 + the processing fees, which I'm not sure how much that would cost in all. It would be corn fed black angus without the hormones and everything else going into our food.

Any advice about doing this?
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #2
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone here buy beef from a local farm?

If you can buy a half. When you buy a quarter a lot of times you kind if get burned. The other thing is you really have to have faith in the seller and processor. The angus thing makes no difference IMO but the grain fed makes a huge difference in the quality of the meat.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:34 PM   #3
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

^ +1. If you can Duane, get references from the place. I used to buy beef & pork in bulk but have been reamed so many times I gave up. You really have to look hard to find a reputable processor sometimes.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
If you can buy a half. When you buy a quarter a lot of times you kind if get burned. The other thing is you really have to have faith in the seller and processor. The angus thing makes no difference IMO but the grain fed makes a huge difference in the quality of the meat.
I'm trying to decide if I'll have enough room for that much. I do have a ~ 20 cubic feet freezer and I'm not sure how much space a half would take. I also have a rack with a basket that should slide, but I can't use it because one of the glides on the inside of the freezer kind of gave out and won't support any weight in that basket to speak of. Not really sure how I can reinforce it without doing anything to poke through something that maybe I shouldn't poke a screw through. That loses 3-4 cubic feet I bet. Their website says it'll take up 13-14 cubic feet of space for a half. Maybe I'll mess with it a bit and see if I can figure something out.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:32 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Buy my beef and pork from local farmers and have it processed at a local butcher - always excellent. In fact, was just talking about getting a half.

Find out if you are tlaking live weight price or what?

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Buy my beef and pork from local farmers and have it processed at a local butcher - always excellent. In fact, was just talking about getting a half.

Find out if you are tlaking live weight price or what?

I'd think by saying what a quarter/half/whole weight is around 200#/400#/800#, they're talking actual processed weight.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
timj219
Feeling at Home

First Name: Tim
Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

I buy local beef pork lamb and chicken. Plus the occasional duck rabbit or turkey. If possible buy individual cuts from some local farmers that participate in farmers markets. You'll get a chance that way to compare grain fed vs grass fed vs grass finished beef. IMO It's the only way to be sure you'll get what you like best.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #8
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I'd think by saying what a quarter/half/whole weight is around 200#/400#/800#, they're talking actual processed weight.
I'd think so too, but ask to be sure. Better safe than sorry.

Peac eof the Lord be with you.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 PM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Just so you know, I am looking at about $800 for a 1/2 and about $400 for a quarter. I would be looking at $1.02 a pound (live weight) and $0.42 a lb for processing.

Old 03-19-2011, 07:33 PM   #10
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
Just so you know, I am looking at about $800 for a 1/2 and about $400 for a quarter. I would be looking at $1.02 a pound (live weight) and $0.42 a lb for processing.

This is their price structure:

Beef Price Breakdown
Amount Price Per Pound Approximate Cost*
Whole $1.75 $1400
Half $1.80 $750
Quarter $1.85 $370
*Approximate Cost does not include processing fees.

Slaughter Fee: $7.50-30.00
Processing of Beef: $0.40/lb
Patties (optional): $0.50/lb
Old 03-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

See if you have a local place like this.You should be able to find beef in the burbs...
http://www.wagnersmeats.com/
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM   #12
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
See if you have a local place like this.You should be able to find beef in the burbs...
http://www.wagnersmeats.com/
My issue buying direct from the processor is that you're paying a mark up on the beef. Buying straight from the farmer, I know my price is $1.80/lb and know how I'll be charged by the processor and pay them directly for the butchering. Your odds of getting it at the price they paid are slim to none.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:53 PM   #13
BigFrank
5 3 1

First Name: Frank
Trading: (25)
Partagas
BigFrank will become famous soon enough

Years ago I used to live near a Bison Farm and would buy from them. I saved a ton of money and the quality was so much better than anything I could buy in the store. Make sure you have a good deep freezers and get a battery backup on that thing.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:09 PM   #14
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

Some odds and ends:

As an example, with a live weight of 1,200 lbs., a steer at $1.10/lb with yield of 63% (average yield, at least in the old days) would give you a hanging carcass weight of 756 lbs. for a cost, before any processing (with attendant bone wt. loss) of $1.75/lb.

If buying quarters, the rear half has higher quality cuts.

After processing a quarter or half, you'll end up with way less meat than you were expecting and you'll have lots of hamburger.

If you get a bad one, it will be a long way to the bottom of your freezer!!!

I was in the cattle business for 35 years and we fed around 20-25,000 head per year. I rode into a pen of fats and cut out a nice fat one every once-in-awhile for various family member's and employee's so got to pick the best finished animals in the pen. Most of these animals graded prime with a few high choice (this was before the grading standards were "dumbed down") and they were exceptional eating but I do have vivid recollections of one steer that just wasn't very good. Don't have any idea why but it was a long way to the bottom of the freezer, that's for sure. BTW, we always aged our beef for 21 days.

There's a lot of trust involved when buying cattle from locals, on the hoof.

The "organic" label means nothing.

Grass fed beef doesn't taste very good. (That is, to say, it sucks when compared to corn fed beef.)

We eat very little beef, anymore. I never could get used to supermarket beef, especially around here. We eat lost of chicken and pork. When we buy good beef, we buy it in Valentine, NE (wife is from there and we go back to visit her dad) and freeze it and haul it back here.

I think you're better off to find a good meat market and establish a relationship with them than to buy from an unknown, especially on the hoof unless you have recommendations from friends. (And, if they're good friends, you'll have a chance to eat their beef before you "buy in".) A good meat market will stand behind their product if you get some bad cuts and make some "adjustments".

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
timj219
Feeling at Home

Trading: (15)
Partagas
timj219 will become famous soon enoughtimj219 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
The "organic" label means nothing.

Grass fed beef doesn't taste very good. (That is, to say, it sucks when compared to corn fed beef.)
I'm not sure what standards have to be met to put "organic" on the label. But IMO eating meat with no hormones and minimal antibiotics is just common sense. I have to respectfully disagree on the taste. Grass fed and grain fed taste different and it may not be for everyone but I like the grass fed flavor just as much as the grain fed. And I think the evidence shows that it's healthier with more omega-3 and beta carotene and CLA and less saturated fat.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:52 PM   #16
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I've often thought about this as well....but meat is meat and I'll eat a cow anywhere they will sell it. I find there the local bumf**k city grocery store carries some damn good meat at a cheap price. Maybe like $4-5 bucks a pound but hey I get to see the cut of meat I'm getting every time. I'd pay double for that hands down. I figure when they give you a whole cow or quarter you might not get as good of quality cuts depending on what part of the cow they give you. Certainly not ALL of the meat you get will be good either.

It also looks that by the time you're done with it you're paying like $2.50 a pound anyways.....and that's for whatever the cow yields that they give you. I think seeing before you buy beats the hell out of random meat.

Either way I'd season it up and eat it. It's also noted that $4 at the grocery store for a good cut of meat beats paying $15 at a steak house for a bland $hit steak. I haven't had a decent steak at a restaurant in a good long time.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:20 AM   #17
14holestogie
Serial banter killer

Trading: (52)
Partagas
14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold14holestogie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
If buying quarters, the rear half has higher quality cuts.

After processing a quarter or half, you'll end up with way less meat than you were expecting and you'll have lots of hamburger.

If you get a bad one, it will be a long way to the bottom of your freezer!!!

There's a lot of trust involved when buying cattle from locals, on the hoof.

I think you're better off to find a good meat market and establish a relationship with them than to buy from an unknown, especially on the hoof unless you have recommendations from friends.
WyoBob

Bob is wise. I've lived through all of these. Got a bowling buddy I buy from now who I know will stand behind the deal.
Old 03-20-2011, 05:47 AM   #18
safariguy
There's one. Set for stun

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
safariguy will become famous soon enoughsafariguy will become famous soon enough

We have had good success with buying both beef and pork around the time of the county fair from families we know who's kids raised the animals for 4H projects. We don't buy beef any more because all of our red meat is wild game, mostly bison.
safariguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:16 AM   #19
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by timj219 View Post
I'm not sure what standards have to be met to put "organic" on the label. But IMO eating meat with no hormones and minimal antibiotics is just common sense. I have to respectfully disagree on the taste. Grass fed and grain fed taste different and it may not be for everyone but I like the grass fed flavor just as much as the grain fed. And I think the evidence shows that it's healthier with more omega-3 and beta carotene and CLA and less saturated fat.
The last I knew, there were no standards for "organic" beef.

Unless you test for it, you'll never know if the animal had antibiotics at a "therapeutic" level in the feed or injections (to save a $1,300-$1,400 investment.)

I say, if you like grass fed beef, that's what you should eat. Some folks will supplement their range beef with cracked corn to put a little "finish" on them. Of course, when corn is around $6.40/bushel, you'll certainly be paying for it. (I think the highest corn prices got when I was feeding were around $3.75/bu. Possibly, if you adjust for inflation, I suppose that figure would be close to $6-7.00/bushel, though).

Most folks eat grass fed beef on a regular basis. It's called "hamburger" and is made mostly out of cows (that's a female bovine who's had a calf) who have outlived their usefulness (either dairy cows or range cows used for beef production). The beef is ground up and mixed with fat trimmed from finished beef.

I ate grass feed beef a few times when, over the years, we had a couple of yearling steers on grass break their legs. I shot them and loaded them into a trailer and hauled the carcass to an employee's house and he helped me butcher and wrap the meat. (I hate that work and would gladly have paid our local butcher to process the animal but animals must pass over their threshold under their own power and I wouldn't harass an animal in pain by loading them into a trailer and hauling them to town.)

As far as the health benefits of grass fed over finished, I'm hoping my 40 years of chewing Skoal, 20 years of cigars, several years of pipe smoking and Scotch & beer drinking will offset the negative aspects of eating corn fed beef

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #20
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

A few years ago, my friends and I used to all split a whole cow. Two of us would split each half. We used to get a sheet showing the cuts where you'd specify what you wanted, how thick to cut the steaks, how much burger, etc. Worked out quite well as you got stuff from both the front/back.

Another thing to look into is farms that sell "shares". You get a quarter of the cow per share, but they give you a mix of cuts.

I now buy from a farmer who does all grass fed, for $4.50/lb, with no other fees.