Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #21
floydp
Team of 11

First Name: Frank
Trading: (0)
Partagas MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
floydp will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Mac Or PC

If you game then I'd say PC or have the dough to get a Mac Pro. Heavy gaming on an Imac 24" at least the last generation creates to much heat and will in some cases fry the vid card. My wifes died after 16 months and like a dummy I didn't get Apple care. She ended up with a 2,000 dollar paper weight. Fixing would of been in excess of 500 bucks(if that works,some cases the mb needs replacing) for a vid card that has street value of less than 50 bucks. The problem was the vid card was soldered in so that's beyond my capability. Needless to say she's back to pc mainly because this issue on the windows platform costs me whatever the best vid card that the mb could tolerate. I have to say I like Windows 7. I personally use a Macbook pro and also have a Macbook that I take if we travel. I think the the Imac is a very good machine but I wouldn't get another without Applecare. This is merely my opinion and mine alone. Your mileage may vary.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM   #22
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

I use both. Both have a place in my heart and work space. Macs are easier. Pcs are good for gaming.

Do you game?

If not consider the Mac
Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #23
Titan410
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Vince
Trading: (26)
Titan410 is on a distinguished road

Get a Mac and put Windows 7 on it if you must.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #24
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
I use both. Both have a place in my heart and work space. Macs are easier. Pcs are good for gaming.

Do you game?

If not consider the Mac
Don't Game Much, So I would Just Have To Learn The Mac Language If I Went That Route.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #25
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I don't know why people say macs are so easy to use. Windows is much more intuitive for me. We used macs forever at work and I was so happy two years ago when we finally switched to PC. I'm happy to say I'll never have to use a mac again. But then again, ymmv.

But my main question is why a desktop? Get a notebook, monitor and keyboard. That way if you need to take it with you, or want to do some work out of the office in the park with a smoke, you just go do that. You can pick up a keyboard for next to nothing, and if you get a generation old monitor, that will work fine and cost almost nothing too.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #26
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratters View Post
I don't know why people say macs are so easy to use. Windows is much more intuitive for me. We used macs forever at work and I was so happy two years ago when we finally switched to PC. I'm happy to say I'll never have to use a mac again. But then again, ymmv.

But my main question is why a desktop? Get a notebook, monitor and keyboard. That way if you need to take it with you, or want to do some work out of the office in the park with a smoke, you just go do that. You can pick up a keyboard for next to nothing, and if you get a generation old monitor, that will work fine and cost almost nothing too.
I Already Have a Dell Notebook, But I Like The Idea Of Having A "Permanent" All-in-one Desktop. I Also Need A Wireless Printer & Just Thought It Would Be Easier With Either An All-In-One PC Or Mac. Like I Said Before, I Can't Stand Wires & Cables Everywhere And I Think I Would Have That With A Noebook, Monitor, & Keyboard.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:43 PM   #27
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Not a big Mac user here, but I've never been let down by a PC since Windows 3.0. Whatever you decide, make sure of it, Greg.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 PM   #28
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysutherland View Post
Not a big Mac user here, but I've never been let down by a PC since Windows 3.0. Whatever you decide, make sure of it, Greg.
Thanks, Andy! No Big Rush For Me.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:45 PM   #29
ChicagoWhiteSox

PC all the way Greg! Mac's are way overated and not to mention over priced. Apple is just a marketing genius.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:51 PM   #30
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
PC all the way Greg! Mac's are way overated and not to mention over priced. Apple is just a marketing genius.
Maybe My Problem Is My Old Computer. It's As Slow As Christmas & Always Freezes Up. It "Is" 8 Years Old, Though!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #31
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishSmoker View Post
Until Steve Jobs and his obnoxious black turtleneck sweater and God Complex go the way of the Dodo, I will NEVER buy an Apple product...that being said, I use a PC...and am damned happy too...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Apple, Ipad's, Ipod's, iPhony's
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 PM   #32
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Cello on or off?

I am an Apple idiot for a lack of a better word based on some of the anti Apple comments on this board.

I own an iPhone
I own TWO iPods
I own an iPod Touch First Gen (for my grandson's use)
I own a MacBook
I own an Airport Extreme wireless router
I buy my music from iTunes
I can't wait for the next iPhone to come out this summer
I am thinking of buying an iPad

Yeah, that Steve Jobs is an idiot who makes dumb crap that gets intelligent people who run major companies, who earn six figures, to act like idiots and just buy all his crap that doesn't work.

I guess I do it it because I haven't figured out yet how to break the spell. Of course, it has absolutely nothing to do with what I perceive to be quality and joy of use. Nope. Nothing to do with that at all.

BTW,
I was doing some reading earlier and stumbled on a thing that as an Apple user I am not familiar with.
Can someone explain what "Anti Virus Software" means?
Why would I spend $50 annually on this?
Seems it is only for PC's and am concerned it is not for my MacBook.
Thanks.

Last edited by Blueface; 04-10-2010 at 09:20 PM.
Blueface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #33
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
BTW,
I was doing some reading earlier and stumbled on a thing that as an Apple user I am not familiar with.
Can someone explain what "Anti Virus Software" means?
Why would I spend $50 annually on this?
Seems it is only for PC's and am concerned it is not for my MacBook.
Thanks.
Don't feel left out Carlos, there are plenty of anti virus programs for macs too:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...acedition.html

Not to mention a bunch more under network and security

I've used a macs on and off since college, own a 24" imac for the last 1.5 years and can safetly say it doesn't float my boat. It's a nice computer, but I prefer using my pc dual booting Win7/whatever open source OS i'm feeling at the time
Old 04-10-2010, 09:43 PM   #34
MiamiE
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Erick
Trading: (38)
RA
MiamiE will become famous soon enoughMiamiE will become famous soon enough

I have a PC and want a Mac real bad. I also own an iPhone.
MiamiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:45 PM   #35
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Don't feel left out Carlos, there are plenty of anti virus programs for macs too:

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...acedition.html

Not to mention a bunch more under network and security

I've used a macs on and off since college, own a 24" imac for the last 1.5 years and can safetly say it doesn't float my boat. It's a nice computer, but I prefer using my pc dual booting Win7/whatever open source OS i'm feeling at the time
Joe,
You know what is one of the only few things worth my while to wake up with pains all over my body every morning due to breaking 50 and literally "breaking"? I get to see things repeatedly.

In the 60's/70's/80's, when I was the age of many on this board, the argument wasn't over Apple v. PC. It was over things like Caddy or Lincoln.
My dad owned a Lincoln. His neighbor owned a Caddy. Neither one could believe the other could possibly be better. When you hear the arguments over Mac v. PC, you swear you are hearing it over a Caddy v. a Lincoln all over again.

I guess if I make it to 90, I will look back at this one and chuckle when I hear what that one will be.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #36
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
In the 60's/70's/80's, when I was the age of many on this board, the argument wasn't over Apple v. PC. It was over things like Caddy or Lincoln.
My dad owned a Lincoln. His neighbor owned a Caddy. Neither one could believe the other could possibly be better. When you hear the arguments over Mac v. PC, you swear you are hearing it over a Caddy v. a Lincoln all over again.

I guess if I make it to 90, I will look back at this one and chuckle when I hear what that one will be.
Caddy hands down
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #37
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Caddy hands down
Yeah, but don't forget, Lincoln ALWAYS had the better ride.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #38
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Yeah, but don't forget, Lincoln ALWAYS had the better ride.
Don't be a Lincoln fanboy Carlos. I don't care about the smoother ride, or the less time they spend getting fixed, or how shiny they are, Caddy's are better because they are Caddy's and I own one so i'm an expert and my opinion is right because I know what i'm talking about. BAM!
Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 PM   #39
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

oh god, not another one of these threads! LOL
Old 04-11-2010, 05:53 AM   #40
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
oh god, not another one of these threads! LOL
A "Different" One, Jim! OK, I Figure I Can Get The Smaller Screen Mac With Everything I Want For Around $1600. The Dual Processor All In One From HP Is Around $1600. Which One Is Faster For Every Day Tasks & Which Is Better For Doing Several Apps At Once? This Would Be Using Windows 7 Vs. Mac's OS. It Also Seems That Mac Has An Automatic Back Up For Your Data That Seems Really Useful For Someone Like Me Who Is "Computer Illiterate".