Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #4181
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Red's Fans Check in

unsurprising result, Bucs wanted it, Reds didn't care.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #4182
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
Wow, Liriano was totally unhittable. That slider is awesome.
Liriano may have pitched well, but the lack of leadership or will to win was evident from the entire Reds team. The Reds checked out as soon as they clinched their playoff spot.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #4183
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Liriano may have pitched well, but the lack of leadership or will to win was evident from the entire Reds team. The Reds checked out as soon as they clinched their playoff spot.
I don't think they checked out. They just couldn't hit a better Pirates team.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #4184
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I don't think they checked out. They just couldn't hit a better Pirates team.
Did you watch the games this last week or last night? No emotion, no leadership, someone on 700 WLW, who was in the locker room at the final series said that you couldn't even tell whether they won or lost after the games. Cueto drops the ball on the mound and then gives up a homerun, Phillips botches a double play ball, Votto can't scoop a hard grounder, no emotion after any of them. Just a few examples from last night.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #4185
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
Did you watch the games this last week or last night? No emotion, no leadership, someone on 700 WLW, who was in the locker room at the final series said that you couldn't even tell whether they won or lost after the games. Cueto drops the ball on the mound and then gives up a homerun, Phillips botches a double play ball, Votto can't scoop a hard grounder, no emotion after any of them. Just a few examples from last night.
Ehhh... I will agree with you on most of that. Sure they checked out, but did you see Liriano's slider last night? That was one wicked pitch. Looks like a strike and then it is in the dirt.
Old 10-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #4186
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about the game last night, guys.
I don't think your boys played with a whole lot of confidence, but my guess is that they really weren't prepared for what they found in Burgh when they got there.
Between the crowd and Liriano being dialed in, that had to be one huge distraction to overcome.
I really didn't expect to see the boots and the error from Cinnci. I can't explain them except for nerves. If the guys haven't had a lot of cohesiveness in the clubhouse, and were all out there as single players, there'd be lots of nerves.
I feel bad for the fans, you guys have a rightful gripe, for sure.

I'm excited to see how far the Pirates can take their season now.
If it's any consolation, it's nice to see my boys not suck for awhile.
Old 10-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #4187
Cincymike
grumpy senior in training

First Name: Mike
Trading: (0)
Cincymike is on a distinguished road

I agree with the stud. I know Votto left a man on 2nd at least twice; couldn't even hit a long fly to advance him. Cueto got rattled early. If Rolen were still around, he would have kicked ass in the clubhouse. They have NO on field leadership....... NONE.....the last 7 games were a strong testament to that. They need some big changes in that clubhouse.
Cincymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #4188
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Votto saying that getting on base is more important than driving runs in is a big part of the problem. That's two hole hitter mentality, not $200 million mentality.
Cueto smiling in the dugout last night after he was pulled is another part of the problem.
Dusty not getting his team pumped up, no sense of urgency is another part of the problem.
Complacency in the clubhouse and nomchalant attitudes from everyone but Phillips and Frazier is the biggest problem. They just don't care, so why should we? Ticket sales will drop next year if the complacent attitude from this team continues.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #4189
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Votto saying that getting on base is more important than driving runs in is a big part of the problem. That's two hole hitter mentality, not $200 million mentality.
His mentality, coupled with a 0-4 in the only game that mattered, speaks volumes about how drastically over-paid he was this season. At first, I thought that Votto was a bargain at $200+ million, now it appears as if it is a giant waste of money. When was the last time a $200 million player actually lived up to the contract though?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #4190
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Is it time for "a sense of urgency" yet?
Old 10-03-2013, 01:36 PM   #4191
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Next year during the broadcasts, a new sponsor is coming on board, to make a donation every time the Reds leave a runner on base.

The promotion will be called "Stuck on first", sponsored by Gorilla Glue.
Old 10-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #4192
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Next year during the broadcasts, a new sponsor is coming on board, to make a donation every time the Reds leave a runner on base.

The promotion will be called "Stuck on first", sponsored by Gorilla Glue.
Good one!
Old 10-04-2013, 06:54 AM   #4193
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

No more Dusty. Maybe the Reds will get a manager with some fire, who won't allow lackadaisical crap. Joe Girardi is available, or maybe Barry Larkin wants to come to the dugout.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #4194
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

I hate to see Dusty go. It isn't his fault Votto, Bruce, Phillips went 1/12 the other day. Oh well, hopefully they get Barry Larkin as manager and Sean Casey as hitting coach
Old 10-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #4195
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
I hate to see Dusty go. It isn't his fault Votto, Bruce, Phillips went 1/12 the other day. Oh well, hopefully they get Barry Larkin as manager and Sean Casey as hitting coach
No, but he has to be partially to blame for having the most talented roster in the NL Central, failing to win the division or even hosting the wild card game, and fizzling at the end of the season every year they made the playoffs. The "Players coach" moniker can only get you so far.

Apparently, Jim Tracy now resides in Cincinnati, and Tony LaRussa is still available as well. Luring Girardi away from the Yankees will be an impossible task, with the Cubs likely to offer him whatever he wants, and I think he still ends up back in pinstripes. As much as I would like to see how Barry could do as a manager, and how much hype/excitement it would bring to the Reds, I feel like hype is where it would end.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 AM   #4196
688sonarmen
Shipmate!

First Name: Jake
Trading: (17)
Bolivar Navy (Active)
688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice688sonarmen is just really nice

Sorry to see Dusty go.
688sonarmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #4197
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 688sonarmen View Post
Sorry to see Dusty go.
As a Cardinal fan, I am sure you are.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #4198
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

A reporter should ask Reds owner Bob Castellini if there is "a sense of urgency" to find a new manager.

(Sorry, non-locals, that quote about urgency is from a question Dusty Baker replied to going into the final week or so of the season. It appears Baker's answer didn't help his chances of staying employed.)

Anyhow, I vote for Tony Perez, the Reds only kept him around for 44 games after they hired him as manager last time. Not nice, and the front office never gave any sort of understandable reason. Yeah, I like to hold a grudge every so often..
Old 10-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #4199
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

Reds set to announce pitching coach Brian Price as new manager later today. I will let those with more baseball acumen discuss if this example of promoting-from-within is a good idea.
Old 10-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #4200
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

I am indifferent about the hire. I would have liked to see Larkin or Paul O'Neill in there, but Price should be fine.