Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 12-29-2011, 06:20 PM   #781
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (6)
RA
ktblunden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Homebrewers - Whats in the fermeter?

Well, I placed an order today for some equipment to get into homebrewing. I should have pretty much everything I need to get started except bottles and an ingredient kit, both of which I'll be going to a nearby homebrew supply store for. I've been scouring the HBT forums and reading as much as I can to prepare. I'm really looking forward to it, but my wife is dismayed that I'm about to slide down yet another slope.
ktblunden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:12 AM   #782
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Good idea on the local homebrew store for your ingredient kit. They should be able to help you through any issues with the first batch.

If you don't mind a little work you shouldn't need to pay for bottles. When you get to the homebrew supply buy some b-brite powder, fill up a 5 gallon pail with water and some b-brite, add bottles of beer you've finished after you've rinsed them. The b-brite will make most labels fall right off, a light scrub will remove the glue. You've got a month to get 50 so get to drinking!
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 AM   #783
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

RA

I think I'll just go for some new bottles. I don't have anywhere near that many empties and I don't drink that much beer over the course of a month. Plus I was thinking of going with 22 oz bottles and that would get pretty expensive getting the ones that already have beer in them.

On another note, how does that b-brite compare with oxyclean? I've seen a lot of people recommending oxyclean on HBT for cleaning and removing labels.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM   #784
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I have never used the oxy, but have seen about it. Seems so much simpler.

I am lazy when it comes to de-labeling the bottles. I have decided I will just buy them bare from my local store.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:35 AM   #785
cricky101
Micro brew tester

First Name: Chris
Trading: (8)
RA
cricky101 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktblunden View Post
I think I'll just go for some new bottles. I don't have anywhere near that many empties and I don't drink that much beer over the course of a month. Plus I was thinking of going with 22 oz bottles and that would get pretty expensive getting the ones that already have beer in them.

On another note, how does that b-brite compare with oxyclean? I've seen a lot of people recommending oxyclean on HBT for cleaning and removing labels.
I use the off-brand, fragrance free oxy to clean bottles and remove labels (although I'm kegging now so haven't done it in a while).

I would fill up my laundry sink with warm water and mix in a scoop of the oxy stuff then let the bottles soak for a few hours. The labels would slide right off. I'd give em a good rinse and then set aside for sanitation/bottling.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #786
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
Good idea on the local homebrew store for your ingredient kit. They should be able to help you through any issues with the first batch.

If you don't mind a little work you shouldn't need to pay for bottles. When you get to the homebrew supply buy some b-brite powder, fill up a 5 gallon pail with water and some b-brite, add bottles of beer you've finished after you've rinsed them. The b-brite will make most labels fall right off, a light scrub will remove the glue. You've got a month to get 50 so get to drinking!
Dang...such a high price to pay

Old 12-30-2011, 11:18 AM   #787
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Dang...such a high price to pay

I subtract the cost of new bottles from the cost of the beer

Most of my pals are on notice to save me any decent bottles, and I've got them trained to rinse properly so that I don't have mold in the bottoms.

I use oxyclean now, never seen it at a homebrew store though which is why I recommended b-brite. Same concept, just put a bit in the water. I keep the bucket full of solution in a closet in the kitchen, that way every bottle which happens into the house winds up label free down in the brewery.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:20 AM   #788
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Maybe I should send you a "package" with some bottles after the first of the year...
Old 12-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #789
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Quote:
I use oxyclean now, never seen it at a homebrew store though which is why I recommended b-brite. Same concept, just put a bit in the water. I keep the bucket full of solution in a closet in the kitchen, that way every bottle which happens into the house winds up label free down in the brewery.
Yep, same here. I also will toss in airlocks, stoppers, tubing, etc., just to have it ready the next time. I use One Step as my sanitizer

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:17 PM   #790
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Test run of my new two burner, single tier stand and 15.5 gal sanke keg HLT and BK tomorrow. I like the idea of double the beer in about the same amount of time. I need to plan it right because my temperature controlled chest freezer will only hold two 6 gallon better bottles at a time.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:37 PM   #791
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Maybe I should send you a "package" with some bottles after the first of the year...
The homebrew thread is a safe zone Steve...

but I've got about 20 gallons of filled bottles in the basement in case of zombie attack, plagues, etc... just sayin
Old 12-30-2011, 03:41 PM   #792
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
The homebrew thread is a safe zone Steve...
A safe zone on CA...

Old 12-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #793
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Got my first brew in the fermenter. Nothing crazy just a blone ale. Starting with baby steps but had a good time putting it together. Im worried about the sanitation . Not me cleaning everything i was very careful, but my wife felt the need to just about put her face in the fermeting bucket and start talking to me in the process.Just after i pitched the yeast . She could not figure out why i was so upset with this after i had just spent time explaining the sanitation process and its importance to her. I guess i cant be to mad at her she did buy the kit for me. We'll see what happens next week hopefully its in good shape.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #794
ktblunden
Adjusting to the Life

RA

Stopped by my local homebrew store and grabbed the ingredients to do my first brew, an American-style Pale using their recipe. So now I have everything I need except the actual equipment, which I'm waiting on Midwest to ship. Having never been exposed to the raw ingredients for beer before, I have to say the grains smell amazing.
Old 12-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #795
RWhisenand
Feeling at Home

First Name: Rob
Trading: (7)
Punch AirForce (Served With Honor)
RWhisenand will become famous soon enough

Anyone interested in some bottles feel free to PM me.

Why?

I just recieved two 5 gallon kegs and the system from Northern Brewer yesterday!! hOOt

Can't wait, we've got the Chinook IPA kit ready to brew, and we will not be bottling it! Can't wait to give kegging a try.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #796
rack04
Lebowski Urban Achiever

First Name: Justin
Trading: (20)
HUpmann
rack04 will become famous soon enoughrack04 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Test run of my new two burner, single tier stand and 15.5 gal sanke keg HLT and BK tomorrow. I like the idea of double the beer in about the same amount of time. I need to plan it right because my temperature controlled chest freezer will only hold two 6 gallon better bottles at a time.
Well the inaugural brew was a success. No issues to speak of. Got 10.50 gallons fermenting away. Just wished I had a bigger chest freezer because tomorrow would be a great opportunity to brew.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:24 AM   #797
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I bought my first kit last week and it's due to arrive later this week. It's a cheapo kit-the Mr Beer Premium Edution Home Beer Kit. I saw the reviews on amazon were pretty good and when it appeared on woot for $25 shipped, I thought why not. Looking forward to seeing if it yields enough interest to make this a more serious hobby or not. I'm primarily interested in brewing hefeweizen and Kristallweizen.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM   #798
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I bought my first kit last week and it's due to arrive later this week. It's a cheapo kit-the Mr Beer Premium Edution Home Beer Kit. I saw the reviews on amazon were pretty good and when it appeared on woot for $25 shipped, I thought why not. Looking forward to seeing if it yields enough interest to make this a more serious hobby or not. I'm primarily interested in brewing hefeweizen and Kristallweizen.
Dont judge homebrew on a Mr Beer kit. If you dont like the results from Mr Beer, dont give up on homebrewing.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #799
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack04 View Post
Well the inaugural brew was a success. No issues to speak of. Got 10.50 gallons fermenting away. Just wished I had a bigger chest freezer because tomorrow would be a great opportunity to brew.
That switch to double the beer in the same amount of time is great. I went to a plate chiller when I switched and think I wound up saving time.

I brewed up an Irish Red that I'll be entering into our local clubs competition in a couple months. 5 gallons on some slurry from a scottish ale (wyeast 1728), and the other half on some marzen slurry (white labs 820). The 820 was slooowww the first time around, I hear the second round with it is usually faster though. We'll see...
Old 01-02-2012, 04:53 PM   #800
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Just bottled my first brew a blonde ale. Not very impressed when i tasted it. Tastes like watered down coors light if thats possible. I know its not carbonated yet but i dont think its getting any better. Its a start up kit from Mr. Beer so im not to worried. it was more to get my brewing legs. Im already working on getting supplies for the next one.