Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 AM   #41
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuban disappointment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
The only take-away here is that you don't care for the Montecristos. That should not mean that all CC's are "unimpressive". As with NC's (or anything) you just need to find what you like... The experimentation can be fun!
You can say the same thing about Cuban smokers who only smoke one or two "premium" NC and declared them as one dimensional, too strong and/or nicotine bomb. There are far too many non cuban cigars out there that will rival, if not exceed cuban cigars in terms of quality and consistency*, flavor and complexity**.

Regardless of where the tobacco was planted, if you look hard enough, you can find something that you will enjoy or be disappointed with.

*NC use to be so much better with these but Habanos is getting better the last 5 years or so

**Cuban cigars use to be the king in this area but all you need to do is try some of the new J Fuego, Oliva, Fuente, La Flor Dominicana and Pepin to change your mind.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #42
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
You can say the same thing about Cuban smokers who only smoke one or two "premium" NC and declared them as one dimensional, too strong and/or nicotine bomb. There are far too many non cuban cigars out there that will rival, if not exceed cuban cigars in terms of quality and consistency*, flavor and complexity**.

Regardless of where the tobacco was planted, if you look hard enough, you can find something that you will enjoy or be disappointed with.

*NC use to be so much better with these but Habanos is getting better the last 5 years or so

**Cuban cigars use to be the king in this area but all you need to do is try some of the new J Fuego, Oliva, Fuente, La Flor Dominicana and Pepin to change your mind.

For me, and I know many others too, I've smoked many NC's. I still do smoke many NC's. After a fairly large sample (I say fairly large because some old farts here have been smoking cigars for 20+ years) I have to say NC's don't even come CLOSE to the complexity and flavors as CC's. Not only that, but I can't get past the harshness most, not all, NC's have. It's just my two cents. My opinion. Nothing more. But I can say that I have not smoked just 1 or 2, or even 100 NC's and have written them off based on those cigars. I've smoked many NC's. (and I still do smoke NC's, I enjoy some NC's)
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #43
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

So you are saying Pepins aren't full bodied nicotine bombs?

I've smoked MOST of the premium NC's and there's no compare to a good CC, say a Cohiba Lancero. I would also pit smokes like the Montecristo Sublime and H. Upmann Mag 48 to any NC EL and for me they win every time.

I've had Oliva, Pepin, Fuente and LFD and I have to disagree. Fuentes are always OKAY for me, I wouldn't put them down but I wouldn't pay for them either.

For me Pepins are just full body pepper bombs, I cannot get any flavors out of those. Not that it's a bad thing but I wouldn't call them complex at all.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #44
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

I really just like smoking good cigars. I don't care where they come from. There are outstanding cigars in both NC and CC. But pitting the 2 against each other is apples and oranges. Show me an NC that tastes like a CC. I sure haven't found one. MY palate prefers CC's. Could part of that be psychological because of the difficulty in obtaining? Maybe. Maybe it appeals to my inner pirate.
Old 08-18-2011, 09:18 AM   #45
ChicagoWhiteSox

Honestly, I've smoked amazing NC's. Padrons is just a friggin legend, and I've had really great cigars from them. Aged Opus can be actually very, very good. But for me, it's not a fair fight when a regular production cc can blow my mind. Not even touching aged cc's, some RE's, EL's, Reserve, Books, customs, ect. Not a fair fight at ALL
Old 08-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #46
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

The lifting of the embargo would have no impact on better access to pre 1991 Dunhills or Davidoffs so I dont care.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:30 AM   #47
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
The lifting of the embargo would have no impact on better access to pre 1991 Dunhills or Davidoffs so I dont care.

True statement. Although, I'm sure someone well set up shop claiming "pre 1990 Dunhills and Davis" if the embargo is lifted. Then there's a big mess of whats real and what's not, and the market gets flooded, and things just get bad
Old 08-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #48
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
I really just like smoking good cigars. I don't care where they come from.
That, my friend, is the bottom line. I just like good cigars.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:27 AM   #49
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I really just like smoking good cigars. I don't care where they come from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
That, my friend, is the bottom line. I just like good cigars.
Agreed!
Old 08-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #50
Texan in Mexico
Feeling at Home

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
LGC
Texan in Mexico has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I have never had a good cigar made in Mexico.
I once had a Cueto - does that count?
Posted via Mobile Device
Texan in Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #51
TwiceTheJava
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Greg
TwiceTheJava is on a distinguished road

I'm assuming the Cohiba CCs I had in The Bahamas many years ago were fake, because if that's what all the fuss is about, I don't get it. They tasted and smoked the same as every other cigar.
TwiceTheJava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #52
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Which Cohiba? what year? Where were they purchased?
Old 08-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #53
TwiceTheJava
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Greg
TwiceTheJava is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Couldn't tell you which one, late 90s, small tourist shop in Nassau. Yeah...I know.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #54
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Where were you on the night of the 12th? Does your dog bite?
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #55
ChicagoWhiteSox

Objection Your Honor!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 01:19 PM   #56
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

I'm probably in the small minority, but I have really moved away from CC's and very much toward NC's. In fact, I recently liquidated a bunch of my older CC's because.....I have just have had it with them. I still have most of a 50 cab of SLR A's from several years back, but most of my CC's are now in the hands of other guys.

I have bought expensive CC's from reputable vendors for years. Honestly I have had it with plugged sticks, tunneling sticks, sticks that are "off", sticks that are "sick", etc....just disappointment after disappointment.

I'll be the very first to say "smoke what you like and like what you smoke" but for me, CC's aren't on the menu anymore. There are a few guys out there that would say "....if you don't smoke CC's your tastes aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate them..."...which I believe simply isn't true.

One man's opinion - N.F.H.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #57
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
I'm probably in the small minority, but I have really moved away from CC's and very much toward NC's. In fact, I recently liquidated a bunch of my older CC's because.....I have just have had it with them. I still have most of a 50 cab of SLR A's from several years back, but most of my CC's are now in the hands of other guys.

I have bought expensive CC's from reputable vendors for years. Honestly I have had it with plugged sticks, tunneling sticks, sticks that are "off", sticks that are "sick", etc....just disappointment after disappointment.

I'll be the very first to say "smoke what you like and like what you smoke" but for me, CC's aren't on the menu anymore. There are a few guys out there that would say "....if you don't smoke CC's your tastes aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate them..."...which I believe simply isn't true.
One man's opinion - N.F.H.
Those guys may be puffer fishes, but they are not here.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #58
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Where were you on the night of the 12th? Does your dog bite?
lol. Well you get what I was going for, right? Provenance.

Guess I was badgering the witness.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #59
Noodles
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (2)
HUpmann
Noodles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
For me, and I know many others too, I've smoked many NC's. I still do smoke many NC's. After a fairly large sample (I say fairly large because some old farts here have been smoking cigars for 20+ years) I have to say NC's don't even come CLOSE to the complexity and flavors as CC's. Not only that, but I can't get past the harshness most, not all, NC's have. It's just my two cents. My opinion. Nothing more. But I can say that I have not smoked just 1 or 2, or even 100 NC's and have written them off based on those cigars. I've smoked many NC's. (and I still do smoke NC's, I enjoy some NC's)
Then my post doesn't apply to you.

I haven't had a Pepin in a while, the last Tatuaje I smoke was disappointing, but in his early years, I take off the band and you would swear it is the best (cuban) cigar you smoked.
Noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #60
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles View Post
Then my post doesn't apply to you.
I haven't had a Pepin in a while, the last Tatuaje I smoke was disappointing, but in his early years, I take off the band and you would swear it is the best (cuban) cigar you smoked.
I doubt it applies to most members here too