Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future
Default Vino Temp

Merry Christmas to me, LOL. Yesterday our power went off because of a storm that came through. I was at work and my wife told me that when the power came back on the vino was beeping. I told her to unplug it and I would check it out when I got home this morning. I plugged it up this morning and it seemed okay for about 5 minutes then started beeping and the display flashes 00s. The light on the circuit board is flashing red too. There isn't a reset anywhere that I can see? Any ideas short of buying a new circuit board?

Thanks, Merry Christmas!!!!!
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 09:59 AM   #2
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default Re: Vino Temp

Without knowing the brand, a general search on the google seems to point to parts needing to be replaced, a short of some kind in the board and no reset available.

Best of luck with it, hope I'm wrong.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Give it a hot bullet for Christmas, brother.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Old Yeller NEVER liked Scott, even when he was young and healthy, Scott or the dog.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #5
G G
BR549

Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Can't keep cigars cool without it Scott. The Brand is Vinotemp which is in the title, LOL. I guess folks call em all vinotemp these days. I'm prolly gonna order another board and or cooling unit cause if I remember right they aren't terribly expensive.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #6
AdamJoshua

If you email sales and tell them the problem they will send you a reply that has the parts and costs listed, I learned that on the google as well.

Merry Christmas, Greg...and Scott I suppose
Old 12-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #7
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks Adam, I knew I could buy parts but I was hoping someone knew something short of that. The bad thing is the parts have went up crazy since I last looked several years ago. The board is now 72 and the cooling unit is 72. It seems live four or five years ago you could buy both for less than 72. I might just have to look into getting a different one altogether.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #8
badbriar

Quote:
Originally Posted by G G View Post
Thanks Adam, I knew I could buy parts but I was hoping someone knew something short of that. The bad thing is the parts have went up crazy since I last looked several years ago. The board is now 72 and the cooling unit is 72. It seems live four or five years ago you could buy both for less than 72. I might just have to look into getting a different one altogether.
Look at misc sites for parts. The Peltier unit should be a lot lower!
Old 12-25-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

You can buy a Peltier unit off of eBay for pennies
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbriar View Post
Look at misc sites for parts. The Peltier unit should be a lot lower!
I looked through about 10 pages of google results for Vinotemp 28teds parts and had no luck in finding a secondary place to buy them.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Greg, that 28TEDS is the one that most everyone bought. There are a slew of them out there, or at least there were. Yours is probably the grandpa of all of them by now. They failed at an alarming rate.
As hot as it is down there, and the duty your vinotemp goes through, you should convert a compressor driven unit. It's insanely easy. I'll help you out if you go that route, and I'll even show you which model to hunt for.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:04 AM   #12
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Scott I would love to do that but if I remember it was a little more costly to go that route. Johnson controllers and such.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:05 AM   #13
G G
BR549

Bolivar

I guess I am one of the lucky one with the vino. I had mine for over 5 years and have only had to replace the fans.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:06 AM   #14
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Scott I would love to do that but if I remember it was a little more costly to go that route. Johnson controllers and such.
About $50 for an analog unit from Johnson Controls or a digital from Ranco.

Analog unit isn't as precise, but you don't have to reprogram it when the power is cut and then restored. Also no real wiring to undertake, you just run the probe and plug the controller into the wall and then plug the refrigerator, after setting to max cooling, into the back of the controller plug.

The Ranco is accurate to within about 1 degree, far more than necessary for storing cigars, and requires basic wiring skills to hook up. It also would have to be reprogrammed after a power outage.

I can look up the model numbers for you later if you are interested.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks Adam i will look em up.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Greg,

The Johnson Controls analog unit is an A19AAT-2C and the Ranco digital is an ETC-111000. These are the same ones we use on keg freezers (analog) and fermenting/lagering cabinets (digital). Both can be had for about $55 each on Amazon
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:48 AM   #17
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
No need for a temp controller if you get the right unit.
All you need is some fans and an ac adapter and beads. Super easy.
I have 3 of these units, Mac has one, and I've never done a thing. Never had to replace a fan, either. They're all about 6 years old, and should last indefinately as little as they cycle.
Old 12-27-2014, 09:48 AM   #18
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
No need for a temp controller if you get the right unit.
All you need is some fans and an ac adapter and beads. Super easy.
I have 3 of these units, Mac has one, and I've never done a thing. Never had to replace a fan, either. They're all about 6 years old, and should last indefinately as little as they cycle.
Pm or post the specifics Scott. Thanks
Old 12-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #19
cort
◤◢◣◥

First Name: Gary
Trading: (41)
cort has disabled reputation

My Vino lasted me 6+ years with no issues. Then one day it took a chit. Like you said Greg, 4-5 years ago the control boards were $35 now they want $75 plus another $20 something for processing and shipping. I paid $80 for my Vino brand new from Target back in the day so a $90 part wasn't gonna happen. Anyways I just unplugged the sumb!tch and haven't had it running in over 2 years. I know it gets hotter where you're at than here but I wanted to share my experience.
cort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #20
G G
BR549

Bolivar

Thanks Gary. We usually have the air conditioner on in the summer so i'm not sure exactly how warm it would get, but I don't want to pay that to fix it either. And now the 28 bottle Vino is like $300.