Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-02-2010, 08:38 AM   #41
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Water pillow or Boveda humidity pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by daboose View Post
Water Pillows?? What RH do they maintain? More than not vendors use them when they ship cigars and I've never could find out the RH.

(Depending on application I will use beads or Boveda.)
I've never measured one, but it should be between 65% and 70%. They are basically the same thing, just a smaller granule size, as what you find in the jars of humidor gel, like the humi-care gel sold by CI.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:42 PM   #42
daboose
...I shew you a mystery..

First Name: Den
Trading: (1)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
daboose is on a distinguished road

I eMailed the WaterPillow folks over a week ago...no response...so I guess I'll use a hygrometer to find out.
daboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #43
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Water Pillows?? What RH do they maintain? More than not vendors use them when they ship cigars and I've never could find out the RH.

(Depending on application I will use beads or Boveda.)
That would depend on what size box it is in. I use the small pillow in my 78qt coolers and they maintain a steady 63%.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #44
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I eMailed the WaterPillow folks over a week ago...no response...so I guess I'll use a hygrometer to find out.
I use to use WaterPillows all the time. I did email them several years ago to inquire about the levels and they responded that they will maintain "approximately" 70%.

If I can find the email I will post it up.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #45
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Approximately can bite you in the ass, so I would be careful them (I don't want my RH that high -- not that 70% is bad, it's just not what I want).
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #46
daboose

I placed a hydrated, small WaterPillow in the typical zip lock cigar bag for about 4 hours and the RH ran up to 76% (my digital hygro's are Boveda calibrated).
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #47
RGD.
God Like Status

RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I placed a hydrated, small WaterPillow in the typical zip lock cigar bag for about 4 hours and the RH ran up to 76% (my digital hygro's are Boveda calibrated).

And what reading does a Boveda for the same length of time, temp and location give you. Did you dry off the outside of the Water Pillow before placing in the bag? How long was your soak time? Did you use the bag with it or not? It all matters.

I am not an advocate for the Water Pillows - I am saying though that they do have and can fill a niche perfectly fine in humidification of cigars and pipe tobacco.

Over the years I have used and sent out hundreds of Water Pillows and a lot of Boveda packs. I view both of these items as temporary use and not for long term humidification. In that respect Water Pillows get my vote every time simply because they are cheaper. Water Pillows are what, about 50 cents each compared to about $4 for each Boveda bag.

Really though the bottom line is use what ever makes you happy - cause your cigars really don't care if you spend that extra $3.50 -

Between Water Pillows, Boveda packs, PG solutions, foam, sponges, tap water, distilled water, kitty litter, gels, crystals, beads, etc etc - what ever works for each individual is the correct one to use. Personally I don't check my humidity level but maybe every 4 months or so - and when I do check it, it's always between 63 and 65%. And I haven't spent a dime on any of the above items in years.

Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 12:02 PM   #48
daboose

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
And what reading does a Boveda for the same length of time, temp and location give you. Did you dry off the outside of the Water Pillow before placing in the bag? How long was your soak time? Did you use the bag with it or not? It all matters.

I am not an advocate for the Water Pillows - I am saying though that they do have and can fill a niche perfectly fine in humidification of cigars and pipe tobacco.

Over the years I have used and sent out hundreds of Water Pillows and a lot of Boveda packs. I view both of these items as temporary use and not for long term humidification. In that respect Water Pillows get my vote every time simply because they are cheaper. Water Pillows are what, about 50 cents each compared to about $4 for each Boveda bag.

Really though the bottom line is use what ever makes you happy - cause your cigars really don't care if you spend that extra $3.50 -

Between Water Pillows, Boveda packs, PG solutions, foam, sponges, tap water, distilled water, kitty litter, gels, crystals, beads, etc etc - what ever works for each individual is the correct one to use. Personally I don't check my humidity level but maybe every 4 months or so - and when I do check it, it's always between 63 and 65%. And I haven't spent a dime on any of the above items in years.

Ron
Yup followed their instructions, made certain the bag was dry.

Did the same test with a 65% HeartF tube of beads...hygrometer read 65%. I tried to employ/emulate a method in how I would use the pillow; that is, throw a pillow in a zip lock for traveling, etc.

Their web site doesn't even advertise %RH. It's just states they "keep cigars fresh." Oh well.

And your right...whatever makes you happy.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #49
RGD.
God Like Status

Quote:
. . .

Their web site doesn't even advertise %RH. . . .

Yeah - I am trying to find the email that they sent me years ago. It was actually somewhat informative about soak times, number of cigars, etc.

It might be under an old email account that I don't use anymore which would mean that it's archived - but it's here somewhere.

Ron
Old 02-06-2010, 12:43 PM   #50
RonC

The instructions for water pillows say to use distilled water. This will provide humidity, but not give you any type of control over the humidity level.

Instead of distilled water, use humidor solution (50/50) to charge your water pillows. You will now be creating the same humidification that they use in the Drymistat tubes, except in a different package. Your humidity should stay close to 70%.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #51
daboose

That would be great. It's interesting there's no simple answer; not even on their web site.

However, the folks at StogieFresh did an upbeat analysis back in 2006 and still no mention of %RH. They did however mention cigar count, soak time, etc.

StogieFresh Link

Thanks.