Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #5061
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
Slightly off the scope topic but I have a question.

My son has a new Ruger Security Six 357 Magnum bout a month now. Today at the store got the last box of ammo he thought was .38 special. He got home and realized under closer inspection he purchased .38+p. He is asking me if the 38+p will work in his weapon. But the models can come in 9mm, 357 or 38 specific. The 38 specically is moody if using the 38+p.

We have shot .38 special out of this .357 gun when he got it. Just need to know if 38+p will work if anyone knows. The +p is supposed to just be a heavier grain shot ?

I googled this earlier today and apparently the Ruger model comes in the Security Six, Special Six and some other kind of “six” model. I can’t go back and see what the other version is because I already typed this once and when I opened google in a new tab it wiped out what I typed by closing the previous window.. Guess opening a new tab only retains your other window, if it contains spam, ads, peepal or banking passwords, or animal prawn. Then it keeps that information forever.

So my question is does anyone forsee a problem substituting the 38+p for the 38 SP in this 357 ? Sorry but this my second attempt to ask this question apparently my laptop won't let me ask. Thanks for any help gentlemen,
Pretty sure you are fine. Most modern guns can handle +P loads
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #5062
Cigarcop
Wishin I Was Fishin

Trading: (40)
HdM
Cigarcop has disabled reputation

I have shot thousands of 38+P out of a 357 without issue
Old 02-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #5063
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo 287 View Post
Slightly off the scope topic but I have a question.

My son has a new Ruger Security Six 357 Magnum bout a month now. Today at the store got the last box of ammo he thought was .38 special. He got home and realized under closer inspection he purchased .38+p. He is asking me if the 38+p will work in his weapon. But the models can come in 9mm, 357 or 38 specific. The 38 specically is moody if using the 38+p.

We have shot .38 special out of this .357 gun when he got it. Just need to know if 38+p will work if anyone knows. The +p is supposed to just be a heavier grain shot ?

I googled this earlier today and apparently the Ruger model comes in the Security Six, Special Six and some other kind of “six” model. I can’t go back and see what the other version is because I already typed this once and when I opened google in a new tab it wiped out what I typed by closing the previous window.. Guess opening a new tab only retains your other window, if it contains spam, ads, peepal or banking passwords, or animal prawn. Then it keeps that information forever.

So my question is does anyone forsee a problem substituting the 38+p for the 38 SP in this 357 ? Sorry but this my second attempt to ask this question apparently my laptop won't let me ask. Thanks for any help gentlemen,
I'd I am understanding you correctly and he has a .357 revolver, then it can easily handle a .38 +p load.

To put things in perspective:
Max spec'ed pressure for a .38 special cartridge is 17,000 PSI
Max spec'ed pressure for a .38 special +p cartridge is 20,000 PSI
Max spec'ed pressure for a .357 cartridge is 35,000 PSI
Even the .38 +p+ cartridge, which is vaguely defined as "greater than 20,000 PSI" would have an extraordinarily impractical ways to go before it approached the 35,000 PSI limit of the .357 frame. So he should be just fine with any of those
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.38_Special#Performance

Last edited by spectrrr; 02-10-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM   #5064
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

I'd I am understanding you correctly and he has a .357 revolver, then it can easily handle a .38 +p load.

Yes.
Thank You Very Much Guys ! I had more details in the first time I wrote the question.
I feel better telling him it is OK now , with these opinions backing me up.
Much Appreciated !
Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM   #5065
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Learn something new every day. Now I know I can shoot those outta my Ruger revolver too.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #5066
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Likely if 357. Maybe you can do me a favor and use it to shoot this laptop.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #5067
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Most modern .38spl revolvers can handle +P. All .357 revolver can handle +P
For that matter most modern handguns period can handle +P
Old 02-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #5068
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Well Francis my Speedfeed LE 870 forend comes in tomorrow
Old 02-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #5069
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Well Francis my Speedfeed LE 870 forend comes in tomorrow
sounds like a tinkering day

I'm rapidly accumulating boxes of parts and no time to tinker
Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #5070
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

luckily it's a piece of cake to break an 870 down. unscrew cap on end of mag tube, pull barrel off, pull forend removing bolt assy. tada lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #5071
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

I wish that pulling apart and redoing the barrel nut on my rifle was that easy. Still need to get an upper receiver vice block...

Then I gotta decide what to do with the gas system on the 20" upper.... cut the A sight down with a dremel... or stick on a low profile adjustable block and try to tune the rifle down to shoot softer.... :/
Old 02-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #5072
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

personally I'm going to cut the sight block down. Main reason is it'll be pinned on, much more secure than any screw on.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #5073
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
personally I'm going to cut the sight block down. Main reason is it'll be pinned on, much more secure than any screw on.
mmm, bloody hell, the man makes a good point... although I personally don't have any problem with a clamp style gas block (really, I prefer it, I don't like the pinhole in the barrel potentially messing up the harmonics), but since the A block is ALREADY pinned on there, the hole is already there... and thus I don't want to lave the hole unsupported, un filled... Guess the JP block is going back to midway.... (picked one up when I could, figured I had 60 days to send it back)
Old 02-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #5074
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

You could sell it online too ya know

Just hit your block with a dremel and then some cold blue
Old 02-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #5075
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

I actually found a S&W AR 15-22 at a gun shop? I snatched that thing up, what a hoot! I haven't had this much fun with a gun in a long time.
Old 02-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #5076
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

They're starting to become findable... I saw one in my local shop last week. In hot pink tigerstripe camo
But seriously, see em online from time to time at the big stores, prices have gone up about $60 over what I paid for mine.

Fun though aint it? Love my 15-22, quite happy with that purchase. If you've got the cash, stick a slidefire stock on it and a set of the $10 JP yellows springs. It's a blast. You're next stop will be Black Dock Machine for a drum. If they ever reopen. GRRR >_<
Old 02-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #5077
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

our local store has them for $400
Old 02-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #5078
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrrr View Post
They're starting to become findable... I saw one in my local shop last week. In hot pink tigerstripe camo
But seriously, see em online from time to time at the big stores, prices have gone up about $60 over what I paid for mine.

Fun though aint it? Love my 15-22, quite happy with that purchase. If you've got the cash, stick a slidefire stock on it and a set of the $10 JP yellows springs. It's a blast. You're next stop will be Black Dock Machine for a drum. If they ever reopen. GRRR >_<
I actually want a pink one for the wife. And yea I'm thinking slidefire for it eventually.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:10 AM   #5079
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluck View Post
I actually want a pink one for the wife. And yea I'm thinking slidefire for it eventually.
It's FUN. I was honestly regretting a bit as I put the parts together and thinking that I was putting nearly $900 into a .22 rifle.... but damn if that didn't disappear the moment I started shooting it

Most youtube vids / guides out there talk about all the tuning you need to do to get it to work, and usually involve a $200 trigger job. You don't need to do that!

These are all I needed to get my slidefire working. $10.49 http://www.midwayusa.com/product/579...-reduced-power

That, and halfways decent ammo. I have a case of old remington bulk .22, the really shitty stuff. And it runs in the gun just fine so far, in semi auto. It even works in slidefire as far as having enough power to actuate the stock. But it jams every 5 rounds or so, round half stuck in the chamber. Not the fault of the slidefire, just the fault of the junk ammo not being able to cycle things fast enough I think.

I havn't done comprehensive ammo tests, but I can say for certainty that the CCI tactical .22 ammo works just great in slidefire (good luck finding it right now though). I'm reasonably sure any mid range+ ammo will work, although I havn't tested it yet.

The only other thing I did for the slidefire was to spray a little silicon rem oil on the buffer tube to give the slidefire a slick surface to work with. $10 springs sure beat buying a $200 trigger any day

oh yeah, and if you do buy a slidefire, get it from sportsmansguide. Cheapest price I've seen anywhere for it.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:15 AM   #5080
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

just got shipping notification for the umbrella lower