Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 12-16-2008, 10:00 AM   #1
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough
Default Whew!! Thought my vinotemp blew up on me.

So I was back in the nursery last night doing the new daddy thing and I hear a strange sound and see a flash of light from down the hall. I'm thinking a transformer blew across the way or something but we still had our power, so I walked out onto the back deck and looked around...as far as I could tell none of my neighbors had lost their power either.

So as I'm walking back down the hall to the nursery I look into our office, which is where my vinotemp is, and the display is dark. I hit the light button--nothing. I try to adjust the temp up or down--nothing. Damn...the thing died on me, and I've only had it for about six months. So I kick the computer fans on to at least keep the air moving inside while I try to see if it has a reset button or circuit breaker that might have tripped. Can't figure it out--it's dead. I have the vinotemp and numerous other things plugged into a surge protector, everything else is working just fine so it's obviously not the electric outlet. Still dead.

So this morning I check it to see what the temperatue and humidity is doing and I don't see a blue glow inside, which tells me the computer fans are now not running either. I chalk that up to the electronic timer and figure that they are only going to stay on a limited amount of time. So I unplug the fans from the timer and plug them into the surge protector. Nothing happens...now my fans are dead too.

Now this makes no damn sense so I unplug the timer from the wall and plug my fans directly into the outlet. The blue lights are on. Cool. I know my fans aren't shot. So I now take the vinotemp plug from the surge protector and plug it into the wall and..VOILA!!! Compressor kicks on, display lights up, and we're back in business. YES!!!!

As it turns out, one whole side bank of plugs on the surge protector is blown and the other side bank of plugs works fine, so at first glance everything seemed normal because the only thing plugged into the bad bank was the vinotemp. So the flash of light I saw and the noise I heard was the surge protector half blowing up. Never seen that happen before. Anyway, my babies are now resting again at the proper temperature and humidity.

Now I just need to go finish changing that diaper...
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:04 AM   #2
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Whew!! Thought my vinotemp blew up on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzle View Post
So I was back in the nursery last night doing the new daddy thing and I hear a strange sound and see a flash of light from down the hall. I'm thinking a transformer blew across the way or something but we still had our power, so I walked out onto the back deck and looked around...as far as I could tell none of my neighbors had lost their power either.

So as I'm walking back down the hall to the nursery I look into our office, which is where my vinotemp is, and the display is dark. I hit the light button--nothing. I try to adjust the temp up or down--nothing. Damn...the thing died on me, and I've only had it for about six months. So I kick the computer fans on to at least keep the air moving inside while I try to see if it has a reset button or circuit breaker that might have tripped. Can't figure it out--it's dead. I have the vinotemp and numerous other things plugged into a surge protector, everything else is working just fine so it's obviously not the electric outlet. Still dead.

So this morning I check it to see what the temperatue and humidity is doing and I don't see a blue glow inside, which tells me the computer fans are now not running either. I chalk that up to the electronic timer and figure that they are only going to stay on a limited amount of time. So I unplug the fans from the timer and plug them into the surge protector. Nothing happens...now my fans are dead too.

Now this makes no damn sense so I unplug the timer from the wall and plug my fans directly into the outlet. The blue lights are on. Cool. I know my fans aren't shot. So I now take the vinotemp plug from the surge protector and plug it into the wall and..VOILA!!! Compressor kicks on, display lights up, and we're back in business. YES!!!!

As it turns out, one whole side bank of plugs on the surge protector is blown and the other side bank of plugs works fine, so at first glance everything seemed normal because the only thing plugged into the bad bank was the vinotemp. So the flash of light I saw and the noise I heard was the surge protector half blowing up. Never seen that happen before. Anyway, my babies are now resting again at the proper temperature and humidity.

haha...I like the ending..
Old 12-16-2008, 10:08 AM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:

Your diaper or the baby's?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #4
joetownhound
EYH Survivor

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (18)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
joetownhound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
I'm glad things turned out great for you
joetownhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 AM   #5
rck70

close call......
Old 12-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Check your surge protector. Good quality ones (usually $100+) have a replaceable fuse in addition to the magnetic trip so that when it stops a surge, you can replace the fuse and you're back in business.

Quick word of advice for people. Buy good quality surge protectors for your electronics. Cheap ones are only good for one surge, or maybe two to three minor blips before the magnetic trip switch is ruined and won't function.

Check Consumer Reports or check around online for purchase information.

I have my electronics all plugged into UPS boxes, which have built in surge protection (the very best kind too), and only cost about $200 each. These are well worth owning 2-3 of for your computers, TV's (hurricane hits? A UPS can charge about 100 AA-D cell batteries before depleting the internal charge!), etc etc.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The baby's. I'm not quite as fussy as they are when my diaper is soiled. Heck, on those cold nights a little extra warmth down below goes a long way.

And If I start to get a little rash...no problem.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
The baby's. I'm not quite as fussy as they are when my diaper is soiled. Heck, on those cold nights a little extra warmth down below goes a long way.

Holy hell! Too much information
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Hahhaa, see us guys in Louisiana do something right!
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
Holy hell! Too much information
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Hahhaa, see us guys in Louisiana do something right!
It's amazing the things a daddy can learn in just two weeks.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 AM   #11
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Phew. That would freak me out too. Glad it was just the surge protector and not the Vino.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:51 AM   #12
rizzle
Order Restored

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silound View Post
Check your surge protector. Good quality ones (usually $100+) have a replaceable fuse in addition to the magnetic trip so that when it stops a surge, you can replace the fuse and you're back in business.

Quick word of advice for people. Buy good quality surge protectors for your electronics. Cheap ones are only good for one surge, or maybe two to three minor blips before the magnetic trip switch is ruined and won't function.

Check Consumer Reports or check around online for purchase information.

I have my electronics all plugged into UPS boxes, which have built in surge protection (the very best kind too), and only cost about $200 each. These are well worth owning 2-3 of for your computers, TV's (hurricane hits? A UPS can charge about 100 AA-D cell batteries before depleting the internal charge!), etc etc.
Good advice Silound. Actually, we have everything else in the office plugged into two of them. Just not the devices that go into this particular outlet. I'm thinking I'll get another one now.