Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road
Default Re: PC fans for wineador

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebayratt View Post
Get a good timer from like Lowe's. Get one that has settings on how long you want the fans to run and when you want them to turn on (and off). They run about $10-20.
I have mine set to run about 5 or 7 mins every hour on the hour.
I bought one from Home depot but it only allows 7 on off times a day ill have to try lowes---
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #22
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
I bought one from Home depot but it only allows 7 on off times a day ill have to try lowes---
7 should be plenty...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #23
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I tried our 2 local menards, our lowes, our home depot, and our 2 walmarts and none of them had anything but your typical on off timers for christmas lights. I had to buy a timer online on Amazon. I'll post more about it soon tho. Just too busy. Working almost every day and too many hours for my crap pay. I get salaried and the pay sucks, i need a new job lol. Either way, i'll fill ya'll in soon.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
7 should be plenty...
It would be like every 3 1/2 hrs thats enough? I guess the cooler itself has the fan as well.....
Old 04-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #25
dwoodward

HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
It would be like every 3 1/2 hrs thats enough? I guess the cooler itself has the fan as well.....
Well honestly there are hundreds of Cabinets sold that have no fans or anything and people use them without any issues. Fans are pretty much for the diehard to keep a constant RH throughout the entire humidor.

It doesn't take much to circulate the air. Most PC fans will circulate the entire cu/ft of the humidor in under a minute.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #26
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

Cohiba

I guess your right i have it already so ill give it a whirl
Old 05-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #27
dwoodward

HUpmann

Haven't had a lot of time to look at this for awhile, just got my PC fans setup, but how do you get the wires thru the drainhole? My drainhole goes down, does a 90 turn and goes out the back, I can't get the wires to follow the 90, they are just too flimsy.

Any advice?
Old 05-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #28
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

You can get some tie-down holders that stick to the side and use a tiewrap to attach the wires to the holders. These are what I use:

They have double-sided foam tape on the back. I picked them up at Home Depot.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:30 PM   #29
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
You can get some tie-down holders that stick to the side and use a tiewrap to attach the wires to the holders. These are what I use:

They have double-sided foam tape on the back. I picked them up at Home Depot.
Thanks, but my problem isn't that the wires aren't staying on the back, I want to get them out the drain hole, but I can't get them thru it. It's got a 90 degree bend inside the drain hole and I can't get the wires to bend to follow the 90 so I can push them thru... Lots of people have my model of edgestar, so I was hoping maybe someone would have experience doing this.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:04 AM   #30
xFreebirdx
Patriot Guard Rider

First Name: Eddie
Trading: (2)
Cohiba Army (Served With Honor)
xFreebirdx is on a distinguished road

You can suck a string through the hole with a vacuum. Then tie the wires to the string and pull through.
Veteran: ★US ARMY 78 - 81★.......★Patriot Guard Rider ID#45266 07/06/06★
xFreebirdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:13 AM   #31
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by xFreebirdx View Post
You can suck a string through the hole with a vacuum. Then tie the wires to the string and pull through.
That makes sense, I'll give that a shot.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #32
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Derrick, most winadors are wired with the evaporator fan (inside fan) running 24/7. The reason I say "most" is only because I haven't worked with every thermoelectric. Every single one I've worked on, large and small, are wired as such. It's basic refrigeration principle, the air needs to be stirred to create an even temperature and to deliver a proper reading to the thermostat to power the peltier coil as necessary.
All that means that there's absolutely no need for an auxiliary fan in a winador. You've already got a perfectly ported fan running 24/7.
The only reason you'd need an auxilliary fan is if you don't plug your winador in.
You can find if your fan runs 24/7 by lowering the temp setpoint, letting the unit cool to that setpoint, then raise the thermostat to it's highest setpoint. Then open the door and see if the fan is running, as it should be.
Back in the day there were some Vinotemp TEDS- units out there that were miswired with the fan shutting off when the setpoint was reached. Guys had lots of problems until someone grabbed the schematics and made a phone call and found they were miswired.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #33
dwoodward

HUpmann

I'm putting all my beads at the bottom, I am just hooking up a circulation fan to circulate for about 5 minutes 2-3 times a day to get the RH moving around the bottom of the unit. I just basically want to help eliminate the chance of the RH being way too high at the bottom of the unit and give it a route to the top of the unit.

Even I am am wasting my time, the fan mount is already built and assembled. I just need to get the wires through so I can plug it in.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:50 AM   #34
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Well I am late to the party but the way I did it was too use old 2 wire NorthBridge South Bridge computer fans powered from the generic Cigars International Cigar Oasis optional extra fan power source. That power source uses ribbon power connectors that can go through the door and it sill will seal. The fans run 24/7 unless you use a timer though.

Its hard to find the 2 wire fans but CI sells them for a remarkable markup, still not bad really, over what the computer stores used to sell them for back in the day.

This is what I am talking about. You do not need the cigar oasis humidifier just the dc power supply.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...-FANKIT&cat=10
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:57 AM   #35
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
Well I am late to the party but the way I did it was too use old 2 wire NorthBridge South Bridge computer fans powered from the generic Cigars International Cigar Oasis optional extra fan power source. That power source uses ribbon power connectors that can go through the door and it sill will seal. The fans run 24/7 unless you use a timer though.

Its hard to find the 2 wire fans but CI sells them for a remarkable markup, still not bad really, over what the computer stores used to sell them for back in the day.

This is what I am talking about. You do not need the cigar oasis humidifier just the dc power supply.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/p...-FANKIT&cat=10
I had a couple Nexus Real Silent PC fans laying about. These fans are soooo super quiet. Less than 15db at 1m in a sound chamber, so virtually inaudible to the human ear. I rigged them up on a board mount with 3" machine screws, spacers, rubber washers for vibration control and a fan grill for each. I'll get a picture up soon, as soon as I get the wires thru the drain hole that is.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #36
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
I'm putting all my beads at the bottom, I am just hooking up a circulation fan to circulate for about 5 minutes 2-3 times a day to get the RH moving around the bottom of the unit. I just basically want to help eliminate the chance of the RH being way too high at the bottom of the unit and give it a route to the top of the unit.

Even I am am wasting my time, the fan mount is already built and assembled. I just need to get the wires through so I can plug it in.
Your evap fan is likely to already be vented up and down, sucking air into the center. That's something you can check for, my brother.
If things seem to be stratifying, you may just need to pull boxes and stuff away from the back, top and bottom of the unit so that fan can do it's job.
It's real easy to overstuff a vino. By getting in the habit of not pushing things to the back, it'll avoid filling a box of smokes with the condensate that drips down the back wall.
There needs to be airflow over that condensate, too. It has to get evaporated and sent back to the air and beads.
If you imagine what the airflow looks like after you look at your fan, at the very least it'll help you to properly place the auxilliary fan so you get the results you want.
It's just always better to practice good, informed husbandry than to try to fix troubles that we create, cause they tend to compound until we cause a really big problem.
Mind ya, I'm just going from experience from building lots and lots of these units. I haven't seen yours, and your evap fan may not be working correctly. That might be causing your problem, it may not.
Adding another fan won't hurt anything at all. Just make sure your condensate puddle around the plugged drainhole is getting airflow and your boxes aren't pushed against the back. One of our guys flooded a whole tray of Anejos and ruined most of them by pushing the tray all the way to the back and allowing it to fill with drippage for a long period of time.
That was a very sad day.
Good Luck, my man!!!
Old 05-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #37
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Your evap fan is likely to already be vented up and down, sucking air into the center. That's something you can check for, my brother.
If things seem to be stratifying, you may just need to pull boxes and stuff away from the back, top and bottom of the unit so that fan can do it's job.
It's real easy to overstuff a vino. By getting in the habit of not pushing things to the back, it'll avoid filling a box of smokes with the condensate that drips down the back wall.
There needs to be airflow over that condensate, too. It has to get evaporated and sent back to the air and beads.
If you imagine what the airflow looks like after you look at your fan, at the very least it'll help you to properly place the auxilliary fan so you get the results you want.
It's just always better to practice good, informed husbandry than to try to fix troubles that we create, cause they tend to compound until we cause a really big problem.
Mind ya, I'm just going from experience from building lots and lots of these units. I haven't seen yours, and your evap fan may not be working correctly. That might be causing your problem, it may not.
Adding another fan won't hurt anything at all. Just make sure your condensate puddle around the plugged drainhole is getting airflow and your boxes aren't pushed against the back. One of our guys flooded a whole tray of Anejos and ruined most of them by pushing the tray all the way to the back and allowing it to fill with drippage for a long period of time.
That was a very sad day.
Good Luck, my man!!!
Thanks for the good advice Scott. I'll be mindful of my drawers. I had my drawers made by Forrest and they already have a 1/2 inch gap between the back of the trays and the back wall. I suppose I can always slide them a little further out if 1/2 inch isn't enough. I think they will be fine tho. I'm also not going to plug my drainhole initially. I want to see how it handles without it plugged before I throw any extra things into the mix. I'll be showing pics soon of my fan setup tho, I just finally got the wires thru thanks to Freebirds suggestion of sucking a string thru it with a vacuum, that worked great.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM   #38
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Thanks for the good advice Scott. I'll be mindful of my drawers. I had my drawers made by Forrest and they already have a 1/2 inch gap between the back of the trays and the back wall. I suppose I can always slide them a little further out if 1/2 inch isn't enough. I think they will be fine tho. I'm also not going to plug my drainhole initially. I want to see how it handles without it plugged before I throw any extra things into the mix. I'll be showing pics soon of my fan setup tho, I just finally got the wires thru thanks to Freebirds suggestion of sucking a string thru it with a vacuum, that worked great.
You can plug your drain hole or not, but realize it's just that, a hole in your humidor.
You can no more control humidity in a desktop humidor with a half inch hole drilled in the lid than you can control a winador with a half inch hole in the bottom.
I won't take time to explain vapor pressure and all the reasons why it'll cause you dire problems because you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I'd just feel remiss if I didn't state the obvious, and that's that you have a hole in your humidor. It'd be a super good idea to plug it like everyone else.
If the humidity problem isn't enough to make you see the light, maybe all the bugs that'll crawl in and out of that hole will.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #39
dwoodward

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
You can plug your drain hole or not, but realize it's just that, a hole in your humidor.
You can no more control humidity in a desktop humidor with a half inch hole drilled in the lid than you can control a winador with a half inch hole in the bottom.
I won't take time to explain vapor pressure and all the reasons why it'll cause you dire problems because you're gonna do what you're gonna do. I'd just feel remiss if I didn't state the obvious, and that's that you have a hole in your humidor. It'd be a super good idea to plug it like everyone else.
If the humidity problem isn't enough to make you see the light, maybe all the bugs that'll crawl in and out of that hole will.
I guess I'll take your advice this time. Just I have seen others say they don't plug it without any issues. Either way, yeah, bugs would be a bad deal. That's a good enough reason for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:40 PM   #40
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
I guess I'll take your advice this time. Just I have seen others say they don't plug it without any issues. Either way, yeah, bugs would be a bad deal. That's a good enough reason for me.
Sometimes, depending on the ambient, guys can get away without plugging their drain. Those guys are very few and far between.
They probably aren't relaying all the crap they have to do to keep their units at a proper RH, because it's "normal" to them to do tons of maintenance. Hell, I can drill a 1/2" hole in the glass front of my winador here beside my desk and still get it to keep a reasonably steady RH, but it'd be a huge pain in the ass, ya know?
If a guy's winador showed up with a 1/2" hole in the glass front, what would he do? He'd send it back or at the very least, it'd be immediately obvious that he'd need to plug that hole up with something. Same if a desktop showed up with a 1/2" hole drilled in the lid. They'd think it was ludicrous.
Why we think differently when the hole is in the drain pan has always been a mystery to me. I'm not singling you out or trying to make foolish, you're about the umpteenth guy that I and others have pointed this out to. It's one of those crazy things that escape us, ya know?
I just want you to have a pain-free experience. You've layed down lots of coin to save trouble and have a top-notch rig, you deserve it, my brother.