Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
Waynegro1

Question "Yellow Band" Dominican 'Cohiba'???

A fella I work with went on holiday in the Dominican Republic and brought back 100 cigars give-or-take. He gave me many of them and I thanked him for his generosity. BUT...I have no doubt many are counterfeit, fake, not on the up and up, you know what I mean (I'll post pics of these later).
These Cohiba, on the other hand are different. Unlike the others these appear to have consistent bands, color and feel. I think I recall something about "Yellow Band" Cohiba's mentioned a year or so ago on the old site, but not sure.
Anyway, what do you guys think of these and if they are in fact legit Dominican stogies from a legit factory, does anyone know the history behind these?

Side Note:
I warned aforementioned co-worker about buying from a legit shop in the Dom. Republic and I didn't want any cigars brought back to me. He is not totally to blame, due to the fact he has little experience in cigars and that's just the person they like to prey on. It was a nice gesture nonetheless.

Forgive the quality:

Old 07-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
Old Sailor
Black Ops - S.O.B.

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
Old Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really niceOld Sailor is just really nice
Default Re: "Yellow Band" Dominican 'Cohiba'???

Is that a glass top case?
Old 07-05-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

100% fake.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #4
Mr. Ed
A horse is a horse...

First Name: Ed...duh
Trading: (6)
PL
Mr. Ed will become famous soon enough

Altadis makes a brand called 'Siglo" which I guess are marketed as Cohiba look-a-likes. They have Nicaraguan and Dominican leaf.
Mr. Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
GrumpyOleTroll
Not Crazy enuff to B Here

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Navy (Served With Honor)
GrumpyOleTroll has disabled reputation

From what I have read...These were the 1st Red Dot Cohibas sold here in the US, the Yellow band with the Dominca (sp?) are for sale only in the Dominican Republic.

Never had one my self. Thankfully from what i have read its not a "Good" cigar.

Shawn
Old 07-05-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

There ARE legit Dominican Cohibas. the "Red Dot" Cohibas had a huge lawsuit with the Dominican Indian head Cohibas a while ago. The legit ones were made by Monti Cristi. Here are some i have from a while ago that are pre lawsuit Dominicans.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:45 PM   #7
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Hmmm...that would be an interesting smuggling tactic...band em Dominican and sell them
Old 07-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
SmokinApe
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
SmokinApe has a spectacular aura aboutSmokinApe has a spectacular aura about

The liquor store by my work, a dump, has these...
SmokinApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:13 AM   #9
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
100% fake.
Not sure why you would say they are fake. They clearly state "Dominican Repoblic" I have seen these before and I believe they are the first rendition of the Altadis Cohiba line as previously stated. Obviously not Cuban, but the Dominican incarnation of the brand.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:25 AM   #10
SeanGAR
Crotchety Geezer

Trading: (3)
SeanGAR has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
Not sure why you would say they are fake. They clearly state "Dominican Repoblic" I have seen these before and I believe they are the first rendition of the Altadis Cohiba line as previously stated. Obviously not Cuban, but the Dominican incarnation of the brand.
Correct. I've heard mixed reviews over these ... hopefully they're decent cigars.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

They are legit DR cigars, produced with that band for sale in the US prior to the lawsuit as I understand it. I smoked a few back in the day.....I didn't like 'em at all, and this is before I was a CC smoker.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #12
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
There ARE legit Dominican Cohibas. the "Red Dot" Cohibas had a huge lawsuit with the Dominican Indian head Cohibas a while ago. The legit ones were made by Monti Cristi. Here are some i have from a while ago that are pre lawsuit Dominicans.
Do you know if litigation is still ongoing or is this resolved and when was the lawsuit started? Very interesting, I'm surprised Cuba doesn't have a lawsuit, since the band is so similar to CC Cohiba.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
They are legit DR cigars, produced with that band for sale in the US prior to the lawsuit as I understand it. I smoked a few back in the day.....I didn't like 'em at all, and this is before I was a CC smoker.
I'll have to give them a smoke in a couple months and post a review. If they suck, at least they'll be a cool little keepsake.

Thanks to all that responded and any info or site is much appreciated.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #13
Wolfgang
Back from the dead

Trading: (14)
HdM
Wolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the roughWolfgang is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynegro1 View Post
Do you know if litigation is still ongoing or is this resolved and when was the lawsuit started? Very interesting, I'm surprised Cuba doesn't have a lawsuit, since the band is so similar to CC Cohiba.

The Red Dot Cohibas won the lawsuit a while ago. the story behind it was the same family produced both NC and CC. The family split for some reason and then the lawsuit started.
Old 07-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang View Post
The Red Dot Cohibas won the lawsuit a while ago. the story behind it was the same family produced both NC and CC. The family split for some reason and then the lawsuit started.
While this is the case for many old brands such as Partagas and Romeo and Julieta. I do not believe this applies to the Cohiba brand. Cohiba is one of the newest brands of Cuban cigars, first released publicly in 1982. General Cigar had registered the name in Cohiba in 1978 and has successfully defended the name against Cubatobacco(Now Habanos SA).
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:29 PM   #15
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Yeah, as I understand it, the Red-Dot is the one NC brand that will not have a legal gripe post-embargo - save perhaps for that familial thing mentioned above, which I am not familiar with. The Beard "invented" Cohibas from an old pre-Columbian name for tobacco, or cigar, or sumptin', so this won't be a case where the old exile families will take Habanos SA into US courts.

As for yellow-band DR Cohibas, never heard of them, never smoked one, but I see the photo so I guess they must exist.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #16
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2,1036,00.html

And they won another a year later and this one is about the Yellow Band Dominican Cohiba.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=8663416
Old 07-06-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
Waynegro1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar...2,1036,00.html

And they won another a year later and this one is about the Yellow Band Dominican Cohiba.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/global/story.asp?s=8663416
Thanks for the links, Greg!! Very interesting.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #18
Big Ben

On a whim about 3 or 4 years ago I bought 10 of these for about 20 bucks online. Worst cigar I ever smoked. Sorry.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Are these the same ones they had like 10 years ago? I use to get the robusto's all the time but they never came in a glass top. To be honest, they were one of the best cigars I ever tried. However they were not cheap. They cost about $12.00. With some other mention of pricing, I wonder if they are the same cigars.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #20
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Wow that's awesome! You can't hardly find those anymore. After that lawsuit they were supposed to pull them all off the shelves. Very nice collectors item!
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote