Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-28-2012, 07:37 AM   #181
BC-Axeman

Default Re: Gardeners in the Asylum

We planted garlic and it hasn't come up yet. I am tempted to dig it up to see WTF.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:25 AM   #182
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
We planted garlic and it hasn't come up yet. I am tempted to dig it up to see WTF.
Give it time. From my dealings I think the fall-planted garlic does better. The cold weather gives bigger cloves. I usually harvest around this time of the year when about 1/3 or 1/2 the leaves die back.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #183
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Same here on the garlic. I planted them in November last year I believe. We had such a warm winter, then a cooler than normal spring it really didn't affect their growth much. Now it's been really hot and the leaves were dying off, so time to pull from the ground.

I"m planning to use some of it as seed stock for next years crop again. Anyone know if using the cloves from the larger bulbs will give me larger full heads next year?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #184
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Same here on the garlic. I planted them in November last year I believe. We had such a warm winter, then a cooler than normal spring it really didn't affect their growth much. Now it's been really hot and the leaves were dying off, so time to pull from the ground.

I"m planning to use some of it as seed stock for next years crop again. Anyone know if using the cloves from the larger bulbs will give me larger full heads next year?
That's a question I was wondering also. I plan on using planter areas for a permanent herb garden next year, and will be including garlic. I was wondering if I can just take a whole bulb from the store, break it apart and plant the individual cloves with any hope of success. From the last several posts, it's looking like I should plan on starting earlier than I envisioned, and planting the garlic in the late fall of this year???

I've had an herb bed in the past, but never garlic. And eventually had to kill the bed, because the oregano took over, and smothered out everything else (took about 5 years). This time, I plan on planting in containers, and keeping the oregano well in check!!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:56 AM   #185
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

I think you can use stuff from the local store. I'm sure you've kept around a head long enough to have it start sprouting. So it should work. I'm using some stuff my sister gave me, not sure of the varietal. It's not the typical stuff you find at the supermarket.

Google growing your own garlic. I know in my area (MI), we should plant in the fall to have it ready come end of June, early July. I think if I waited till the spring, it wouldn't mature fast enough and die off in the summer heat.

Now that I think about it, I did use some of my larger heads from last year for this years crop. I have a range of small, medium and a few large heads. So I guess it's all a crap shoot on how the plant grows.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #186
AUguy
The end is always near

First Name: William
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
AUguy will become famous soon enough

I have been out of state selling plants for 4 months and now that I am back home I finally got to plant my garden. It is not nearly as nice as all of the gardens I have seen in this thread but it serves its purpose.

I have Patio, Better Bush, Early Girl, Roma, Husky Cherry, and Black cherry tomatoes. Some bush burples cucumbers planted from transplants. What you can't see are the squash, zucchini, basil, cilantro, and early hybrid cucumbers that I just seeded. I still have quite a bit of work to do. I have to get my cages and trellises set up. And next week I am going to plant a ton of carrots in containers.

With any luck we will not have a freeze until december like last year and I will actually be able to get a decent yield out of this little patch of dirt.
AUguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #187
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Never too late to dance, William. Looks good!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #188
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Got home from a week in Wyoming about 3 am this morning. Spent 2 hours in garden this afternoon. Picked 20 pounds of tomatoes, maybe half that much left in green tomatoes. I have three watermelon that weren't picked by folks watching over house (picked with permission), and have sweet potatoes still in ground. Maybe a half picking of peas left. I'll check sweet potatoes tomorrow, and plan of plowing garden under in next two weeks. Not sure if I'm going to plant a winter crop.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #189
BC-Axeman

We got back from a weekend away and had some zukezillas. You really do have to pick every day.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:07 PM   #190
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman View Post
We got back from a weekend away and had some zukezillas. You really do have to pick every day.

Love that term!!!! I guess Squashzilla and Cukzillia would also apply after a couple days unpicked!!!
Old 07-23-2012, 06:41 PM   #191
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

Found this looking around the net. What a piece of work. (It's not mine nor me)

Old 07-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #192
jjirons69
Haberdasher

LGC

I've got more jalapeno, serrano, cayenne, banana, New Mexico, and bell peppers than I know what to do with. It's crazy! For the past 3-4 years I have been blessed with strong, productive, disease-free plants. Tomatoes slowed but are still giving a few every other day. I picked 70 in one day a couple of weeks ago. It was maddening for about a 2-week stretch. My wife has jarred several batches so far this year. I love stewed tomatoes on rice and grits. Tried some on quinoa last week and it was good, too.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #193
BC-Axeman

Our cold summer has kept the tomatoes and peppers back but the corn is starting to ripen and we got good broccoli. Cukes are coming in right now.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #194
mmblz

Trading: (3)
Partagas
mmblz has disabled reputation

blueberries
Old 07-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #195
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Right there with ya Lance. Everything is looking a litte weak. got lots of Jalapenos but the plants are looking stunted. Tom's just starting to ripen but all of them except the Cherries are looking stunted too. Bells doing pretty good, same with the few cuc plants. Tomatillos pumpin out pretty good. My cantalope looks like it has not grown in a month.
And there came a voice to him: “Rise, Peter; kill and eat.” Acts 10:13
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #196
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
My cantalope looks like it has not grown in a month.
Don't know that I'd let that sway you..... Mine stayed the same for many weeks, then went from small to big to ready in about 10 days.

Good luck with the rest!
Old 08-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #197
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Picked peas today.

Then Mowed them down:

Sweet Potatoes and Butterpeas about all that 's left.

Only reason I've left the butterpeas is they have put on hundreds of blooms with the rain we've had in last two weeks. I figure I'll have a large picking available in about two weeks. Tomatoes, Peppers (only planted three bell pepper plants this year) and green beans will all be mowed down this weekend. That will leave only sweet taters and butterpeas standing, and I don't see those making it more than three or four more weeks. Then will turn the whole garden under to await next year.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #198
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Anyone have suggestions for fall/early winter plants? It's still hot here in Michigan, but soon it'll start to cool down. Maybe I can actually plant something this year. Definitely lettuce, not sure what else.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #199
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Spinach and broccoli both are good cold weather crops. Cabbage also. Never tried brussel sprouts, but I'd imagine they would also be good cool weather crop. Oninos probably would also work.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:07 PM   #200
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Hmm, I like broccoli and spinach, check. Might have to try onions. I'll definitely be planting more garlic. Had a bumper crop of it this year.