Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-25-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of
Default World Series who ya got?

I have to go with Tito over Theo the Rat. I believe there are 8 people in the World Series that played for or were management for the Red Sox.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: World Series who ya got?

I'll take the Cubs to win it in Cleveland.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:22 PM   #3
AdamJoshua

AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Alright if you lose we're putting the utilities in your name.
Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #4
AdamJoshua

Tito is 9-0 in World Series games... how crazy is that?
Old 10-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #5
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua View Post
Alright if you lose we're putting the utilities in your name.
DISH TV and open window air conditioning it is!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 10-26-2016, 08:35 AM   #6
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Cubs.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Go Cubs! My grandfather was a life-long, die-hard Cubs fan. He passed 22 years ago but it would still be nice to see the Cubbies get one for him.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I'm rooting for the Indians. I have nothing against the cubs, but the curse of the billy goat is baseball lore. It's endured for 100+ years and I'd like to see it last a 100 more.
I'm saying this as a MLB fan not a Yankee fan, but when the Red Sox won the series, it was a bad day for baseball. The game lost something.
I'm sure Sox fans will disagree, but after winning 3 world series since 04, they're just like all the other fans. There's nothing special about being a Sox fan anymore.
The breaking of the curse will only be a footnote in the history of the game, but the curses themselves are what take on a life of their own, and live on through the generations of fans.
Think about this, right now in Boston there are teenagers who have no idea what it's like to suffer as a Sox fan. That's crazy to me.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #9
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonumberone View Post
I'm rooting for the Indians. I have nothing against the cubs, but the curse of the billy goat is baseball lore. It's endured for 100+ years and I'd like to see it last a 100 more.
I'm saying this as a MLB fan not a Yankee fan, but when the Red Sox won the series, it was a bad day for baseball. The game lost something.
I'm sure Sox fans will disagree, but after winning 3 world series since 04, they're just like all the other fans. There's nothing special about being a Sox fan anymore.
The breaking of the curse will only be a footnote in the history of the game, but the curses themselves are what take on a life of their own, and live on through the generations of fans.
Think about this, right now in Boston there are teenagers who have no idea what it's like to suffer as a Sox fan. That's crazy to me.
That's a fantastic perspective. All my relatives are from Western, MA and I spent every summer up there in the early to mid 70's and suffered with them. Until I discovered who Brooks Robinson was. Growing up outside of DC, and having lost the Senators, made becoming an Orioles fan easy - and gave me twice the enmity for the Yankees!

What you say makes a lot of sense for tradition, rivalry, folklore, statistics, drama, etc etc, but --- nothing ever stays the same. Go Cubs.

Start a new curse/tradition - Big Papi's jersey really is buried somewhere under the new Yankee stadium - I'm sure of it!!!!! Those same same teenagers in Boston you speak of don't even knew who the "Bambino" was - much less he had the power to curse a whole city. For real fans, like yourself, there will always be reverence and knowledge of the game that will preserve what it means for this country.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #10
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
As a Red Sox fan since I was 10 years old, let me say this: I'm fine with that.
Old 10-26-2016, 11:08 AM   #11
AdamJoshua

My favorite Red Sox fan sayings from yesteryear "You're ruinin' mah summah" and "The Red Sawx killed my grandfatha now they are coming for me!"

My mom didn't get to see them win it but I did and a lot of other long suffering fans, that being said I still want the Indians to win it all, not a fan of Theo after the contracts he handed out and then blew town leaving the mess for someone else.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:46 AM   #12
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybarue View Post

What you say makes a lot of sense for tradition, rivalry, folklore, statistics, drama, etc etc, but --- nothing ever stays the same. Go Cubs.

Start a new curse/tradition - Big Papi's jersey really is buried somewhere under the new Yankee stadium - I'm sure of it!!!!! Those same same teenagers in Boston you speak of don't even knew who the "Bambino" was - much less he had the power to curse a whole city. For real fans, like yourself, there will always be reverence and knowledge of the game that will preserve what it means for this country.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
As a Red Sox fan since I was 10 years old, let me say this: I'm fine with that.
Fair enough. I was just offering my position and the reasoning behind it.

As for the curse of the Big Papi jersey, that talisman has already been found and removed from the new stadium. Couple that with the fact that the Yankees have already won a championship in the new building. I'm not saying the Yankees can't have a curse, but it's going to have to be different than the curse of the Big Papi Jersey.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 AM   #13
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Cleveland all the way. Was very confident about my pick and then last night happened. Still going with the Tribe in 6.
Old 10-27-2016, 05:03 AM   #14
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Dom I completely agree with this. Would turn the Cubs into just another team.

Last edited by mahtofire14; 10-27-2016 at 05:08 AM.
mahtofire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:33 AM   #15
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Trading: (0)
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road

I'm a National League fan so go Cubs.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #16
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Let's start a new curse.

Cleveland can have the Curse of the Schwarber.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #17
jonumberone
Raw Dog

RA

Game 7!
Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
Dux
Lebowski Urban Achiever!

Partagas
Dux has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I'll take the Cubs to win it in Cleveland.
I agree! Rooting for them to win it all
Dux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 09:55 AM   #19
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

The Cubs had to win the way they did last night to gain confidence to go against Kluber tonight. If the Cubs squeaked by last night with a 1 run win in a low scoring game that would not have been enough momentum going into game 7. It appears the Cubs bats are back. I say Cubs win game seven ---- 6 to 3.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:28 AM   #20
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Cubs cant hit the curve but I am rooting for them anyway. Maybe Joboo is too.