Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 06-22-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Just pulled the trigger on this

I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast.

I browsed pretty quickly through the manual and it doesn't seem to provide a lot of detail of this type of info.
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:50 AM   #22
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgop View Post
I never imagined how complex the roasting process can be with the cycling during a roast...
Wait til you make a blend something great and then the crop changes. Complexer and complexer. Have a ball.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #23
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Duane, now that you've had the Behmor for a few months, how do you like it? I'm contemplating getting one to replace my popper so I can do larger batches.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #24
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I really like it. I researched long and hard about the pros/cons of everything I saw in the $150-200 price point and then $500 and this seemed to be the best fit by far. I like being able to roast a full pound at a time to make it less of a "burden". I read reviews that said dark roasting was more difficult, but you can add extra time or cheat it by using 1/2 pound in the full pound setting. I usually only roast just into 2nd crack, so it's never a problem.

The only downside is that it has a tendency to set off the smoke detector when I roast to 2nd crack, but I'm actually moving it to the man cave portion of my garage today. I think I could have only made a better decision if I had a budget to buy the models at 3-4x the price.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 AM   #25
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

I've never roasted inside. When it's roasting day, I get comments from neighbors who all smell it downwind and know I'm roasting.

I also never roast anywhere near a full pound as I can't seem to finish anywhere near as dark as I like my roasts.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM   #26
ashtonlady
The Lady is Here

First Name: Laura
Trading: (8)
Navy (Served With Honor)
ashtonlady will become famous soon enoughashtonlady will become famous soon enough

Like Pete, I dont roast in the house. It does get a little smokey so for me it is easier to deal with in the garage. I also roast one half lb at a time so I can get to the roast I prefer. Glad to hear that you like it.
ashtonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:09 AM   #27
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the reviews guys/gals. Like you, I only roast to just into second crack right now with the popper, so dark roast levels for me shouldn't be an issue. Plus I like the idea of having some control over the roast cycles with the different settings.

I may try using it in the basement since my garage is detached and get's mighty cold in the winter. I guess I could always do a preheat cycle first if I moved into the garage.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #28
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #29
forgop
Not a puffer

I got an app called Roastmaster that gives me the capability of logging all of my roasts. The feature I like is being able to use the timer for total time, first crack, and second crack. The hell of it is that my results will change a lot if I move it to the garage as it'll be a less regulated temp than my kitchen.

The other nice feature I'll like having it in my garage is having it right next to the shop vac for easier cleaning.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:58 AM   #30
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
Duane,
you're going to have a blast with that machine. We used ours probably 3 times a week for over a year right up until it burned with the house. We kept a log book right next to it with all the cycle times/batches/results etc. It's really a nicely tweakable roaster that can turn out superb roasts.
It will be one of our first purchases when we finally get back in a house. It's been 3 years now since we've had a fresh roasted batch of coffee...and we miss it.
I had to reread that a couple times. At first I thought you said it caused your house to burn down.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:59 AM   #31
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:12 PM   #32
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Well, went and ordered the Behmor. Got the 8lb regular sampler too. Now the fun part to relearning how to roast coffee.
You're gonna love it. The recommendation for using Simple Green in the manual does a pretty good job of cleaning the inside.