Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Anyone have a CNC wood-carving machine?

Like the Shopbot or a Carvewright or Compucarve or Rockler, etc.?
I'd been considering the Carvewright and now I'm seriously thinking on the Shopbot, and I wanted to hear some experiences.
Maybe family or friends have something?
Thanks!!!
Scott
Old 05-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #2
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anyone have a CNC wood-carving machine?

Is there anything you don't do, Scott? You're a wild man.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

No, Jamie. I get bored easy, so I do all kinds of stuff. I like to learn and keep busy.
I love working with wood. I always intended to retire to a shop so I could make birdhouses till I was old and dead. I just never imagined I'd retire so soon.
I'll be able to make some incredible stuff with one of these machines, I've wanted one for years now. The shopbot is way more intense than what I was looking at, but it's really the same thing on a larger scale.
I was just hoping someone had some shopping experience. I'd far rather trust our brothers experiences than a bunch of anonymous reviews, ya know?

I had to tear down my shop when I got married and moved out here, and I just got started rebuilding it. I'm a long ways from turning out any projects, or finishing some of the dozen I have started, but I'm getting there. I have to finish shelves in the garage, build my sweet baby a great big deck, and finish off the basement first, but I'll definately be cranking out daily projects by Fall, if not sooner. I think.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:39 PM   #4
nofeardiver
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (4)
nofeardiver will become famous soon enough

i have a buddy that just bought a CNC machine i have no clue what brand but i can ask him...
nofeardiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:43 PM   #5
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Looks pretty slick. You may consider making your own CNC depending on what you are planning on using it for. Could be a lot cheaper!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofeardiver View Post
i have a buddy that just bought a CNC machine i have no clue what brand but i can ask him...
Thanks, Dan!!!
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #7
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
Looks pretty slick. You may consider making your own CNC depending on what you are planning on using it for. Could be a lot cheaper!
I looked at the Zen stuff and gave it a thought for about two minutes. I don't want to kit it out. Once I do my due diligence and read till my head hurts, it might become an option again. We'll see. I just don't want a headache, I want to enjoy this. If it costs more money to assure it's a pleasant experience, it's money well spent. That's pretty much what led me to ShopBot in the first place. Top notch equipment and support. They're supposed to be The King.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 PM   #8
BTcigars
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (1)
BTcigars will become famous soon enough

Check out youtube if you havent already. Real time video of dovetails being cut in about a minute thirty! Also there is a iphone app to control it....very nice!
Old 05-02-2011, 09:11 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTcigars View Post
Check out youtube if you havent already. Real time video of dovetails being cut in about a minute thirty! Also there is a iphone app to control it....very nice!
I will definitely check that out. Thank you!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 08:58 AM   #10
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

I've been looking at Stinger, as well.
They really don't stack up to shopbot, so far as I've seen yet.
I have to look at them a bit more, but I'm most likely to go with a Shopbot Buddy. I've gotta squeeze in lots of hours on the toolpath software first, and I'll see how each stacks up in their forums. It's a lot of time, this will probably get pushed back to the Fall, at least. I'm getting educated a bit, though.