Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #1
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road
Default Puppy advice

Here is the scene: about 7 months ago we adopted 2 large dogs from the aspca (Rot, husky, ridge back and other, well just big mutts) They were sisters and we had the ability to keep them together so we did. Great dogs, easygoing temperament and rarely bark. So I was at pets mart sat to get the girls x-mas gifts and wound up adopting a puppy. Mom is very similar looking to my girls. Puppy is a mutt, mom is golden ret. & rottie, I guess the father was golden ret. and pit. Mom was calm and quiet like my two girls. Well I have introduced the girls to their new baby brother, neither growled, but did a bit of sniffing. One really has no interest the other seems curious but kid of nibbled at the pup making it yelp, twice now. I keep them apart unless well supervised and holding the pup. Both dogs started drooling an extreme amount. Is the nipping and drooling normal. I continue to give a little more smelling freedom to the older dogs, I understand it takes patients, just not real sure how to read the big dogs. I know they will put the puppy in its place around the house and it may involve growling or nipping. Any further info would be of great help.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 AM   #2
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Re: Puppy advice

give the dogs more food, so they aren't hungy and they will stop drooling when they see a nice little snack

Sorry man, I don't have any real advice.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:45 AM   #3
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Don you aint right.... quit sniffing the tulips, it's doing strange things to the head.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The dogs will settle their own structure, just keep an eye on them in case it gets bloody. I would not worry much.

Make sure to practice training and obedience.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:04 AM   #5
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

The drooling is a nervous reaction, as I understand it. My lab does it all the time when we dog sit for someone else, it goes away after a day or two and she relaxes a bit.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #6
acarr
Have My Own Room

Trading: (34)
acarr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
The dogs will settle their own structure, just keep an eye on them in case it gets bloody. I would not worry much.

Make sure to practice training and obedience.
I agree with this. If you interfere too much then the little pup is always going to think you are going to get it out of any mess and will actually instigate stuff for you to get him out of.
acarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:42 AM   #7
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Yep, they're going to have to figure out things on their own, but be sure to law down the law.
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

Oh.. and what they said. Let the dogs sort themselves out, they will figure out fairly quickly who is the alpha dog and the particular pecking order within the subgroup. People freak out when dogs nip, growl and butt sniff, but it is all hard wired in them, and I find that it doesn't take very long with no interference for them to settle each others individual hash. You might catch slight "reprimands" from the alpha occasionally, but unless a dog has been neglected or has a behavior disorder, they won't hurt each other. They may yelp, growl, whimper, or pee on the floor, but (very)rarely is blood drawn.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #9
cbsmokin
Looking for the Apex

First Name: Craig
Trading: (10)
Cohiba
cbsmokin will become famous soon enough

It's always best to introduce new dogs outside of the house or usual yard so that they don't feel like the new dog is a threat to their turf. If you can have them play together a lot in a park or something they will be more accepting of the little guy following them in the door. That's important as well, when you enter the house it needs to be you, then the big dogs, then the little guy. He and they need to know their places. Doing that several times should work things out.

Check out C.A.R.B. IV http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...840#post879840
cbsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:40 PM   #10
FrequenC
Look Away! I'm Hideous!!

First Name: Alex
Trading: (9)
PL
FrequenC is on a distinguished road

I'll agree with the others and say that they will indeed sort it out themselves but by no means should you leave them alone unsupervised. What we tell clients at work who are introducing a new pup to the family is to keep the pup in a different room with a closing door and let them smell each other from under the door. This will prevent any hostility (and danger) that can come with introducing a new animal to the household.

When you are home, have regular supervised sessions with everybody and when the dogs are gentle with or even ignore the pup reward them either with treats or good old fashion praise. It can be tricky sometimes because dogs are pack animals so they can be very stubborn especially if one of them believes they are the alpha dog.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions and I'll be glad to help as much as I can.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

While I pretty much agree with what's been stated - I would say that I have never had any adult/existing dog act aggressive towards a new puppy before.

Our neighbor recently got a new Boston Terrier puppy who I introduced to TJ. I held the puppy while kneeling down, called TJ - let him/them smell each other - then placed the puppy down who proceeded to climb all over TJ like any puppy would. TJ just sat there letting him for a few minutes - then they both took off running around the yard playing. That's a normal scenario for any dog that I have had.

So I might be a little cautious of any dog that would nip at a puppy.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 AM   #12
livwire68
Las Vegas Herf Crew

Trading: (7)
SLR
livwire68 is on a distinguished road

The visits have been going very well. The little male even tried to get some action. I figured out why the one dog nipped the puppy. She see's him trying to bite me (as puppies tend to try to do) so she nips him as if protecting me. They are getting quite a bit of time together now but the girls seem a bit jumpy/jerky around him when he is trying to play. I guess I dont blame them with his sharp teeth. I went to the thrift store and got a baby gate for his room, the girls still stay at a distance though. Oddly enough the room he picked and is most comfortable in is the lounge. Thanks for the help, all.