Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #1
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Technical advice on changing ISPs

After months of working with Comcast to fix a maintenance problem that they have clearly identified, yet can't seem to resolve, I have decided to make the switch to Verizon FIOS.

I'm anticipating a big headache in changing over my email account. Not the inbox issue, that's pretty easy. I'm worried about all those websites, accounts, on-line shops, etc., that are tied to my blahblahblahxxx@comcast.net account that will now have to point to another email address. I'm thinking of everywhere that I've registered with that email address--we've been with Comcast for more than 10 years, so tracking down all the accounts that can be affected for everyone in the family is giving me the shakes. Going through my browser history, inbox, etc., will give me the most frequently used sites, like CA, but I'm sure I'll miss some.

Is there any easy way to convert this, something other than a manual process? Anybody go through this recently with tips on how to make it less painful?

Thanks!

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #2
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Technical advice on changing ISPs

As far as I know you have to go to the sites and change the email address attached to each account. You could also see if comcast will let you keep your email.

My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address. That way you will never have this problem again.

I hope you get it worked out, I know first hand it is a pain in the A$$.
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:41 PM   #3
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

I think you can have Comcast create a forwarding rule for you. Contact Comcast Customer Service and ask them. That said, when you setup forwarding and change your e-mail address within your various accounts, use a gmail, yahoo, or some other e-mail not tied to your ISP. I haven't check or even logged into my ISP e-mail in over 10 years. I've probably changed ISPs 6 times in that strech without the headache you're going through now.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:43 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I just did the same thing, Gerard. I just did it all piecemail. I kept sticky notes on my desk and made note whenever I thought of something I had to change. Every time I buy something online or visit an old website I change. This time around I used my gmail address, and I'll continue using it from here on out for just this reason. I won't have an isp-based email address again.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
. . .

My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address. That way you will never have this problem again.

. . .

Yep.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:50 PM   #6
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
My suggestion is to create a Google/yahoo email address.
Saved me. Then my wife. Then my mom.

It'll save you....
Old 08-16-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

Thanks all--we were planning to move everything to gmail, so I'll start setting up mail forwarding. Unfortunately, it sounds like cleaning up the comcast account links will be a manual process Ah well, at least I'll be rid of my Comcast frustrations.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:04 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

My M/FIL have Time Warner out in the sticks. I've seen dialup that performed better. They're considering switching to dish for football season, maybe they'll dump the internet service and go another route.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

This is why it pays to have an email address that is separate from your ISP -- an address that you use for all the important stuff. It can be a GMail, Hotmail, or whatever address (you can even get your own domain if you want).

This allows you to change your ISP without having to go through and fix your PP, Bank, and other web site profiles...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote