Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you do?
Keep a review 6 19.35%
Smoke and move on 22 70.97%
Other 3 9.68%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about
Default Review them or just smoke them?

While cleaning some bookshelves at home I came across a binder with detailed cigar review sheets in it, the last one dated 7/21/10. I'd created a detailed review sheet (it even has a space set aside to glue the band to the sheet) and made sure to review a cigar if I'd never smoked it before. If I was smoking a cigar I'd reviewed already but hadn't smoked in a long time I'd refer to the old review while smoking to see if my tastes had changed or if I still felt the same way about the cigar. A quick skim through some of the reviews brought memories of a couple of dog rockets out of the cold-storage of my long term memory, but it also reminded me of a few gems I'd forgotten - now I want to revisit those gems so I'll probably start scouring the usual sites and looking at WTS threads here on CA.

So, why the hell did I get lazy and stop doing them?!!!

Anyway it made me curious about my fellow cigar smokers. Do you make a detailed review or do you smoke 'em and move on? Which do you do?
Old 08-14-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all
Default Re: Review them or just smoke them?

I'm not sure how detailed my reviews are but if I smoke something I want to remember or was really good I'll review it here if only to look back on it.

That and I read the reviews here to find new smokes, it's nice to contribute to the reviews here.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #3
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I smoke them. If I find something I really like I will write the name down.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

I would like to start keeping a cigar journal. I have just started looking to try and find one, have any of you ever run across one or just created your own?
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all

I'll usually review the first few sticks of something I haven't tried before. If it's new or noteworthy, I'll share it here. After that, I just smoke 'em.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I keep an Excel database on every stick I torch (my thoughts/likes/dislikes/would I smoke again, etc). Kinda my way to remember if I liked it or not.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
TheTraveler
giggity giggitty

First Name: Jonathan
Trading: (12)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
TheTraveler has a spectacular aura aboutTheTraveler has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
I would like to start keeping a cigar journal. I have just started looking to try and find one, have any of you ever run across one or just created your own?
I made my own. I think there are one or two floating around on the net for download though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
I keep an Excel database on every stick I torch (my thoughts/likes/dislikes/would I smoke again, etc). Kinda my way to remember if I liked it or not.
I did that for a while but got lazy with it too and let it fall behind. No way to catch it up now though.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
area51
Blowing Smoke Rings

First Name: Ken
Trading: (3)
Bolivar Army (Active)
area51 has a spectacular aura aboutarea51 has a spectacular aura about

I put each cigar I smoke into Cigar Aficionados Personal humidor...That is about the extent of it.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:14 PM   #9
pgagnon

I have caught the reviewer disease. Thanks to guys like @GCPuff on twitter and Don Fernando. You two guys inspired me to start publishing reviews.

Than you also to Glyveth, mon Chatton who tickled my ego and made me WANT to make reviews.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #10
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
But all you smoke are 601 blues Mac

Ok for real I don't review the cigars I smoke but if something I really like or want to revisit I'll take the band off and keep it in a old fish bowl. I'll also write it on a post it so I can keep a eye out for sales.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:39 PM   #11
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drez View Post
But all you smoke are 601 blues Mac
Makes it easy to maintain the datbase.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
Aporschaguy
Two sheets to the wind!

First Name: Adam
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Aporschaguy is on a distinguished road

I Smoke em and keep buying what I like and keep adding. It's a mental list.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 PM   #13
Hippiebrian

I just smoke
em and move on. If it's good, I'll get another (or a box). Otherwise, once and a while I look through all my old bands just to jog the memory of particular smokes.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #14
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporschaguy View Post
I Smoke em and keep buying what I like and keep adding. It's a mental list.
This is what I have been doing.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 AM   #15
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I'm not sure how detailed my reviews are but if I smoke something I want to remember or was really good I'll review it here if only to look back on it.

That and I read the reviews here to find new smokes, it's nice to contribute to the reviews here.
Exactly this
Old 08-15-2011, 06:17 AM   #16
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

I wouldn't call what I do a review as such, but I do scribble some notes when I try a new stick.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:29 AM   #17
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

I've become lazy!

Once in awhile I'll do a review but not like I use to.

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
Wanger

Too many blowhards giving reviews out there, and since everyone's palate is different, I don't think anyone should really care about this blowhards review any more (unless it's a horrendously bad stick, like the Gorilla Finger). So I smoke 'em, remember what it was (if I don't have more), and move on to the next one.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:44 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I've never kept a log of my own reviews, or even excel notes like Mac does (which is a great idea). That'd make smoking like work to me.
I'll do a review here if a cigar is really good or really bad. I remember saying before in a review that "I'm not interested in heaping words onto mediocrity." I will definately go out of my way if a cigar is super good, in hopes that some brothers will try it and enjoy it. If it's real bad, I don't really try to warn guys off the cigar, but ask them to lower their expectations and see what they think. I do that because lots of times I get all excited by hype and the cigar doesn't play up to my expectations, and I wonder how I'd have received it were I not already expecting big things.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM   #20
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I've never kept a log of my own reviews, or even excel notes like Mac does (which is a great idea). That'd make smoking like work to me.
I'll do a review here if a cigar is really good or really bad. I remember saying before in a review that "I'm not interested in heaping words onto mediocrity." I will definately go out of my way if a cigar is super good, in hopes that some brothers will try it and enjoy it. If it's real bad, I don't really try to warn guys off the cigar, but ask them to lower their expectations and see what they think. I do that because lots of times I get all excited by hype and the cigar doesn't play up to my expectations, and I wonder how I'd have received it were I not already expecting big things.
Sklee!
Except I would review a rare or unusual cigar too.