Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:22 PM   #641
croatan
Missing Peter

First Name: James
Trading: (6)
HUpmann
croatan has disabled reputation
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj23 View Post
Bought my first gun tonight - a home defense gun. Getting married made me feel even more responsible for my "family's" (wife's) safety, and seeing news about apartment breakins, rapes and murders didn't make me any more comfortable. My wife is very petite, so I wanted something that she A) could handle, and B) could shoot and stop with the first shot. We settled on a Remington 870 Express compact with a 21" barrel and 12" length of pull - only 6 lbs and manageable with her short arms. We'll take it out to a range this Saturday so she can get used to it. for me.
That sounds familiar

Nice choice, Mikey
Old 04-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #642
pearson
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (5)
Army (Active)
pearson is on a distinguished road

enjoy and stay safe
Old 04-02-2009, 09:44 PM   #643
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Nice pickup Mikey!
Old 04-02-2009, 09:58 PM   #644
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

hey Mikey, don't forget the low recoil rounds.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:41 AM   #645
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

I picked up some 7 1/2 heavy doveshot, but I think I might change that up for home use. Low recoil would certainly be a plus, but I don't want to sacrifice any stopping power - suggestions? Also since it's an apartment, I don't want something that might go through five walls.
Old 04-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #646
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

First Name: David
Trading: (24)
RA
Catfish has disabled reputation

Quote:
My wife is very petite, so I wanted something that she A) could handle, and B) could shoot and stop with the first shot.
May I also suggest a collapsible stock as an immediate option for different sized people to comfortably and safely operate a shotgun?

Things to consider down the road for a home defense shotgun:

Accessory rail to hold a light.
high intensity light. The Surefire L4 immediately comes to mind.
Ghost Ring sights.
Receiver mounted shell carrier
Breacher barrel
With a 21" barrel, I'd highly suggest a high capacity tube extension. You could probably extend the shot capacity to 8.

If you want, I'd be more than happy to send you links for any of these.

I wish you the best of luck doing any sort of instruction with your wife. Most instructors recommend against spouses instructing each other. But, you 2 may be an exeception! The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!
Old 04-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #647
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
I picked up some 7 1/2 heavy doveshot, but I think I might change that up for home use. Low recoil would certainly be a plus, but I don't want to sacrifice any stopping power - suggestions? Also since it's an apartment, I don't want something that might go through five walls.
Check out #4 Buck.
Old 04-03-2009, 06:13 AM   #648
mikeyj23
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (10)
HUpmann
mikeyj23 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
May I also suggest a collapsible stock as an immediate option for different sized people to comfortably and safely operate a shotgun?

Things to consider down the road for a home defense shotgun:

Accessory rail to hold a light.
high intensity light. The Surefire L4 immediately comes to mind.
Ghost Ring sights.
Receiver mounted shell carrier
Breacher barrel
With a 21" barrel, I'd highly suggest a high capacity tube extension. You could probably extend the shot capacity to 8.

If you want, I'd be more than happy to send you links for any of these.

I wish you the best of luck doing any sort of instruction with your wife. Most instructors recommend against spouses instructing each other. But, you 2 may be an exeception! The most important thing is to HAVE FUN!
Thanks for all the great advice - I think the collapsible stock is a great idea. The L4 would be great, but it's sure hard for me to justify putting a $175 light on a $270 gun. The tube extension is another definite; as it is I can have one loaded and four in the magazine (2 3/4", not 3"), but 8 would be great.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:27 AM   #649
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

I would definitely get the tube extension and light
Old 04-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #650
Tombstone

I am seriously considering purchasing a Glock G27. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality concealed carry holster? Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 08:40 AM   #651
-MG-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone View Post
I am seriously considering purchasing a Glock G27. Does anyone have any recommendations for a quality concealed carry holster? Thanks

I've carried my G27 almost daily for the last 3 years in 'The Answer' from Tucker Gunleather using the velcrow clips, and couldn't be happier. Even taking 7hr drives to see the inlaws, it stays perfectly comfortable.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:43 AM   #652
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Thanks for all the great advice - I think the collapsible stock is a great idea. The L4 would be great, but it's sure hard for me to justify putting a $175 light on a $270 gun. The tube extension is another definite; as it is I can have one loaded and four in the magazine (2 3/4", not 3"), but 8 would be great.

That's exactly how I felt putting the Crimson Trace 405 grips on my 38 special, but now would get rid of the gun before I got rid of the laser grips. They cost me $300 and the J frame snubbie was not much more.

I thought about putting a light on my Mossberg 500, but figure it will broadcast where I am at in the unfortunate event it comes off the rack in the middle of the night, overriding the benefit of target ID.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #653
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

If you're wantig to stay more budget, I highly recommend the light I personally carry, the Surefire G2 LED. You can get the from the gunshows for $45.

I only mentioned the L4 because I personally want one.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM   #654
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
I personally use Thunderwear for when I wear soft clothes ( jogging pants ) and SERPA for anything with a belt.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #655
stitch
Saddle Maker And Cowboy

Trading: (34)
MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
stitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nicestitch is just really nice

Quote:
Uhhmmm you could check out my site
http://www.mountainhomeleather.com
I also do a snap on model which isn't on the site yet
Old 04-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #656
Tombstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
I personally use Thunderwear for when I wear soft clothes ( jogging pants ) and SERPA for anything with a belt.
The serpa....do you have a problem consealing the firearm with this style of holster? Any close calls? Thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 11:47 AM   #657
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

In the last month I picked my first guns in over 25 years. AR-15, 16" barrel, A-4 lightweight build. And a Ruger 10/22 as I need something I can actually shoot while I search endlessly for .223 ammo at a decent price.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:00 PM   #658
BC-Axeman

Speaking of ammo at decent prices, where is a good source of bulk components? I mean, where does anybody have stock? "Out of Stock, Backorder OK?" Sheez!

Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 PM   #659
Catfish
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ MO FUGGA!

RA

Quote:
The serpa....do you have a problem consealing the firearm with this style of holster? Any close calls? Thanks
I'm 6'2" @ 300lbs. I can conceal an Abrahms tank. When used with belt securement, it does tend to stick out a little more laterally from the body than an IWB holster. I counter that by wearing a photographer's vest. There is no threat of printing with that. It's when I wear my rayon summer shirts that are just like silk I have to be very cognizant of printing. In many cases, I will go to the Thunderwear when that could be an issue.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #660
AriesOpusX
Goodfella

Trading: (0)
AriesOpusX is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Go to walmart and get a mini maglite or any bright LED flashlight, strap it/duct tape it to the gun and be done with it for about $20. All you need is something to see with and you can easily flip a switch or push a button as you grab the gun to turn the light on, I don't know why they sell $300 flashlights to anyone besides members of SWAT.

Tube extention is great for the range definitely but in my house if I need more than 5 slugs I'd better call for backup.
Closed Thread