Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 08-18-2011, 09:48 PM   #41
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Blue Screen Trouble/Tech Support?

I've been building and "hot rodding" PC's for a long time. I am still amazed at the number of problems, like this (what sounds like a corrupted file system) that are due to basic hardware problems.

Download and burn yourself a copy of this disk:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

This is a CD that will boot your computer (doesn't need an operating system on the hard drive) and run some basic diagnostics. This is the disk I run on new or recently upgraded systems to make sure all the hardware is playing nice and working as it should.

Start with some memory tests - MemTest86+ is my favorite. It should run all night and "No Errors" in the AM is the only acceptable answer.

Run the HD diagnostics for the brand of hard drive you have. That will tell you if your HD has had a failure of some type.

I could go on about the importance of backing your stuff up, but I think you may realize that now. If you need to get your files off your hard drive, this little gizmo works great:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812156102

I have a couple here and they work great.

You may be stuck with a full re-install of the operating system. Unfortunately, I've found that more often than not, this is what's required to get things back on an even keel.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need some help or advice. Glad to help.

Good luck - N.F.H.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #42
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
How can I figure out which one I have?
Your system uses SATA for the hard disks.
You have 4 SATA connectors in total on the board, so you should have some available for additional disks.

(remember the service tag code you sent me? Great for looking info like this up)
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:11 AM   #43
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post

Download and burn yourself a copy of this disk:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

This is a CD that will boot your computer (doesn't need an operating system on the hard drive) and run some basic diagnostics. This is the disk I run on new or recently upgraded systems to make sure all the hardware is playing nice and working as it should.

Start with some memory tests - MemTest86+ is my favorite. It should run all night and "No Errors" in the AM is the only acceptable answer.

Run the HD diagnostics for the brand of hard drive you have. That will tell you if your HD has had a failure of some type.
I have seen this little gem recovery a lot of "unfixable" drives. If only we could convince our helpless desk at work to use it instead of just sending out a new hard drive.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #44
TonySmith
Feeling at Home

Trading: (1)
AirForce
TonySmith has disabled reputation

The same thing happened to me, on a laptop. I bought an enclosure for the HD and copied the files I needed to a second computer. Re formated the original hd, re installed windows and was good to go. Time consuming, but couldn't figure out an easier way
TonySmith is offline   Reply With Quote