Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2011, 08:45 AM   #21
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Trading: (2)
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Debit Card Fraud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
So should I call Visa and report it with them?

No you should just have to call your credit union and they should take it over.What my bank did was start an investigation and after a couple weeks they credited my account back. I would ask to speak to the branch manager since it seems somebody does not know what they are doing.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 AM   #22
Aero95
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Aaron
Partagas
Aero95 will become famous soon enough

Can you even use a debit card on a online gambling site? I thought you could only use a credit card. If so I wonder how they obtained the pin number.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:56 AM   #23
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aero95 View Post
Can you even use a debit card on a online gambling site? I thought you could only use a credit card. If so I wonder how they obtained the pin number.
You can use a debit card for online purchases (or anywhere for that matter) w/o a pin number.

My wife called back this morning. Investigation is being done in Raliegh (state capital) and the bank will get back with us after it is over. She's also on her way to file a police report now.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:59 AM   #24
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Andy, I have been with Community First Credit Union of Florida for lots of years, they used to be called Educational Community Credit Union. I have had this happen twice in the past and both times I did have to go to the branch and fill out some paperwork to contest the charges and received a provsional credit pending their investigation. The last time we did have to get a police report done in our home county even though the transaction was in Nashville, TN, and submit the report within a certain number of days. Both times it happened the provisional credit stayed in our account because the investigation obviously showed it wasn't our transaction. There is a branch in Yulee if you are thinking about changing where you do business I believe you would be happy with them.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #25
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Interesting read:

http://www.wisebread.com/are-debit-c...s-credit-cards

Especially this:

Quote:
....Since Visa is one of our sponsors I was able to get a very quick response back from their spokesperson:

Despite the popularity of debit cards, consumers are often confused about the security features and consumer protections debit cards offer. Many of the same features and protections provided by credit cards are also offered with debit cards. It’s important to know that Visa debit cards carry the same protections as Visa credit cards.

All Visa cardholders (prepaid, debit or credit) are protected by Visa’s Zero Liability policy.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:13 AM   #26
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I'm not sure how, but my wife's debit card number was stolen. $225 was charged on her card for an online poker site. Neither of us gamble or play poker online. She called the bank, they deactivated her card and are in the process of sending her a new card. Looks like I'm out $225 b/c we noticed the transaction 4 days later. If we noticed it w/in 48hrs of the time the transaction took place, we would have only been responsible for $50 of it, but being 2 days after that time, it looks like we're responsible for up to $500 of it.

Anyone been hit up with debit card fraud before? Is there a way to recover the $225 or are we just SOL at this point?
It might be time to switch banks. Bank of America has a zero liability policy on fraud. They can be douchebags, but they have their good points too.

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM   #27
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

This is interesting, if I'm reading the FTC info correctly, it sounds like it depends on how the charges were made. If they were made as debits, you might be screwed. If they were made as CC charges, then you might only be on the hook for $50.

Do you have access to any attorneys who might be able to give you their interpretation of the following, or better yet, know the laws that the FTC is referring to?

Quote:
Credit Card Loss or Fraudulent Charges (FCBA). Your maximum liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your credit card is $50. If you report the loss before your credit cards are used, the FCBA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized charges. If a thief uses your cards before you report them missing, the most you will owe for unauthorized charges is $50 per card. Also, if the loss involves your credit card number, but not the card itself, you have no liability for unauthorized use.

After the loss, review your billing statements carefully. If they show any unauthorized charges, it's best to send a letter to the card issuer describing each questionable charge. Again, tell the card issuer the date your card was lost or stolen, or when you first noticed unauthorized charges, and when you first reported the problem to them. Be sure to send the letter to the address provided for billing errors. Do not send it with a payment or to the address where you send your payments unless you are directed to do so.

ATM or Debit Card Loss or Fraudulent Transfers (EFTA). Your liability under federal law for unauthorized use of your ATM or debit card depends on how quickly you report the loss. If you report an ATM or debit card missing before it's used without your permission, the EFTA says the card issuer cannot hold you responsible for any unauthorized transfers. If unauthorized use occurs before you report it, your liability under federal law depends on how quickly you report the loss.

For example, if you report the loss within two business days after you realize your card is missing, you will not be responsible for more than $50 for unauthorized use. However, if you don't report the loss within two business days after you discover the loss, you could lose up to $500 because of an unauthorized transfer. You also risk unlimited loss if you fail to report an unauthorized transfer within 60 days after your bank statement containing unauthorized use is mailed to you. That means you could lose all the money in your bank account and the unused portion of your line of credit established for overdrafts. However, for unauthorized transfers involving only your debit card number (not the loss of the card), you are liable only for transfers that occur after 60 days following the mailing of your bank statement containing the unauthorized use and before you report the loss.
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...dit/cre04.shtm

---------
EDIT - this post was started when the last post in this thread was Carlos's comment in #15. Looks like Kelly found some good info on Visa that might help you avoid the situation in the FTC passage above.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM   #28
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Visa does provide some coverage, but the banks are who determine the pace at which that coverage is met:

Quote:
In outright fraud cases, Visa or MasterCard voluntarily protect check cards they issue through member banks as if they were credit cards, meaning the maximum a defrauded customer is liable for is $50. Visa states they have adopted a "zero-liability" policy, which applys to its debit cards as well as credit cards. Many banks eventually refund the entire amount stolen.

But different banks have different policies concerning disputes - including how long they will take to investigate disputed charges, and how soon after a reported fraud they "temporarily credit" an account. This is where the main differences are visible between a credit card and a debit card.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #29
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Ouch, been there before brother. Sorry to hear you got hit be these lowlifes. My wife's Visa Debit card # was stolen while she was out of town on business and they used the number at an ATM several times in TN before it was noticed. Our money was returned in full almost immediatly by our bank. Wife just had to stop in at our local branch and sign some paper work.

Good news is they eventually caught the theifs and are in the process of running them through the justice system now. We get TN court papers 2 or 3 times a week keeping us abreast of what's being filed.

I'd sure look hard at other banks and even let yours know you will be shopping around if they won't come up with a better policy then what they are offering you at this time.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM   #30
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by poker View Post
That is what I thought Kelly.
Old 03-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #31
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

I had a similar situation years ago...I was stationed in the Philippines and banked with Alaska Federal CU and charges off my card came up in Florida...my family and I had just been to Disney for vacation...my credit union posted the funds back into my account and had an investigation started...come to find out one of the restaurants we ate at had a bad egg and was stealing CC numbers with the 3 digit code on the back...I'm still with Alaska because of this...I'd take everyone's advice and look for another Credit Union...hope all works out
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #32
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

That Sucks!!!

BTW - Great game of poker last night!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker;1221582

[I
BTW - Great game of poker last night![/i]

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:51 AM   #34
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

I had this similar sort of thing happen once. Chase backed me 100%, right up to making sure I could pay my bills on time with an interest free short term loan until the dispute was resolved (cash in hand that day, however the interest rate was 13% if I was held liable after the investigation...so it had a catch of sorts).

Honestly, best thing I love about Chase is the fact that they aren't so big as to deny they need your business to stay afloat, and they're willing to bend over backwards many times to keep you happy. YMMV