Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM   #21
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation
Default Re: Bad Ass Police Car Set For Production -

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFrank View Post
Dodge Chargers are nice.
I'll tell you this about the crown vics. While they are disappointing once you are above 40 MPH or so as far as acceleration goes, the cruisers I've driven are pretty fast right off the line. Not sports car fast, but I was surprised how quick they were. Of course, they handle like an old buick station wagon, so that leaves something to be desired.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:54 PM   #22
tobii3

I gotta laugh here.

Reason for the big 3 being the police cars?? Parts. Longevity. Common Sense.

Now, here's a company that unveils a diesel car. Wow. I'm impressed. Diesel is currently at $2.59 a gallon here in NC.....Gas is currently at $1.45...great marketing idea guys!!

But Wait!!! The internal lights that are an integrated part of the frame, making the car more aerodynamic!!

Uh...dude?? Have you happened to notice the INTERNAL light bars currently in use that are CHEAPER than the external light bar?? (last time I worked with LE was 96, so it's been a while)

The rear suicide doors?? great idea - ONE hinge - can we say STRUCTURAL failure from drunks hanging on the door??

Here's a thought - how about we TRAIN more Law Enforcement?? How about we ARM them with appropriate weapons and body Armor??

and, on my final note, and only Diesel owners will truly appreciate this......

""Hurry!!! Let's go!!! They're getting away!! Uh, I gotta wait for my glow plug lamp to go out before I can crank the engine....""

Old 12-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #23
Silound
ex-CS Swamp Gorilla

Trading: (15)
Bolivar
Silound will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitzy View Post
I really don't think any dept car is doing 500 miles a day but I could be wrong
That was my . But one of the patrol regions just for the local troop include the 50 mile stretch from Lafayette (mid-troop area) to the Mississippi River (east boundary) which is approximately 60 miles of I-10. I figure driving that a couple times daily can add up pretty fast, so I believe it's possible.

I figure it's more likely they put around 150-300 miles per day on the cars, but that's still a LOT of miles per year.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:01 PM   #24
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I drove Chevy Caprices for my first 12 or so years on the force, and they out-performed and out-lasted the Crown Vics hands-down in my experience. Unfortunately, Checy went to the Impala for the police package, and with its performance, might as well give us Hyundais.
My youngest brother is retired Indiana State Police. Our family has always been pro-Ford with the exception of him. But he much preferred the Crown Vic's over the Chevy's he had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3 View Post
. . .

and, on my final note, and only Diesel owners will truly appreciate this......

""Hurry!!! Let's go!!! They're getting away!! Uh, I gotta wait for my glow plug lamp to go out before I can crank the engine....""

LOL - Yeah I'm a diesel owner (F350 6.0 that will smoke the tires) - but waiting for glow plugs is not like it was on our granddaddy's diesels. Actually I only wait for them when it's below freezing - during warm weather it's not a problem, just crank and go.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:52 PM   #25
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
My youngest brother is retired Indiana State Police. Our family has always been pro-Ford with the exception of him. But he much preferred the Crown Vic's over the Chevy's he had.

Ron
Too each his own, I guess....I drove the Caprices for about 11 years, and have had to endure the Crown Vics for about 11, and I liked the Chevys better by far, but that is me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobii3
Now, here's a company that unveils a diesel car. Wow. I'm impressed. Diesel is currently at $2.59 a gallon here in NC.....Gas is currently at $1.45...great marketing idea guys!!
Keep in mind that when the car was being developed, that was not the case. I guess the designers aren't psychics.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 01:17 AM   #26
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

Diesel may cost more, but what is the mileage difference?

my VW gets 35 around town, and that's because I don't putt along (in other words, my mom's vw diesel gets 40-ish in town)

Also, just rig the glow plugs like vw does and have them begin warming when the doors unlock instead of when you turn the ignition. and if you don't like the turbo lag, do what BMW does and put TWO turbos, a small one for low revs and a big fat ass one for higher revs

Diesel could be a good thing, but I'm not a cop, so I have no practical advice to offer
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote