Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 06-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #21
Jack1000

Default Re: Why do most people seem to have a negative opinion of Macanudos?

Mac maduro's got me started down the slope. Not a bad cigar at all, especially for someone who was just starting out. I think if I had smoked a JDN or an RYJ cazadore I would have thrown up and moved onto another hobby. Try one-- you'll see they are not bad. The budweiser analogy is great. You're not going to throw out your single malt, but a bud on a hot day is never a bad thing.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:58 AM   #22
GodOfFire
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jackie
Trading: (10)
GodOfFire is on a distinguished road

I have yet to have a Mac also. Can't believe this?

I have also steered clear due to what I have read on forums. However, now I think one would be worth a try. Mild cigars I do enjoy are RP Edge Lite and Ashton Cabinet.

Thanks for the thread
GodOfFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:07 AM   #23
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

One nother thing, might as well squeeze it in here...
The Mac 1942 or whatever the new numbered blend is they came out with, for a gas station cigar, it ain't half bad. Honest.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:12 AM   #24
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

I agree that the Mac's are not a bad cigar and I used to smoke them but now, it's just that, I can't taste them anymore they are so mild. But after I found the Casa Torano, that became my mild cigar choice and I can still taste it.
Old 06-28-2010, 10:24 AM   #25
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox View Post
Let's face it. Your Uncle is missing out on really great cigars because he is too stubborn to try new cigars. Yeah its great that he has his one cigar he loves, but he is missing out on so much more
I completely disagree, he is missing out on nothing. He enjoys an occasional cigar and smokes Mac's. I dont see what is missing. Its like saying a devout trout fisherman is missing out because he doesnt fish for bass. He is doing something that gives him great pleasure and that's what its all about. We are but a very small percentage of cigar smoking public, the enthusiast. A far greater number of cigar lovers are single brand smokers.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #26
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
One nother thing, might as well squeeze it in here...
The Mac 1942 or whatever the new numbered blend is they came out with, for a gas station cigar, it ain't half bad. Honest.
Scott, are you talking about the Macanudo 1968?

Yeah, those are good. Med-full body, medium strength, nothing like the mild Macanudos at all, just the slightest hint of that signature "Macanudo flavor" to tell you it's a Macanudo. Stupidly overpriced though.

T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #27
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Scott, are you talking about the Macanudo 1968?

Yeah, those are good. Med-full body, medium strength, nothing like the mild Macanudos at all, just the slightest hint of that signature "Macanudo flavor" to tell you it's a Macanudo. Stupidly overpriced though.

The pricing was/is the only thing keeping me from buying Macanudos.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:50 AM   #28
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Different strokes for different folks.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #29
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
So this is really about you and not him. You want to impress him with your knowledge.

Meh.

Might not end well.

Ignorance is bliss, and he sure sounds happy. Why ruin that?

If it bugs you that much, don't smoke with him.
No, lol not at all about that. I wanted to know a few different things. First, why I have read alot of things in forums about Macanudos being no good. This was answered a couple of times, because hardcore cigar smokers usually like a stronger flavor and the Macanudo is too mild. The second question I had was how I can get him to try a few different sticks, because I know he will like some of the others. Got the answer to that as well. Lastly, I wanted to see if refrigerator storage was by any means proper to keep cigars.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #30
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (3)
captain53 will become famous soon enough

For sure the refigerator is worth trying to talk him out of.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly Walnuts View Post
No, lol not at all about that. I wanted to know a few different things. First, why I have read alot of things in forums about Macanudos being no good. This was answered a couple of times, because hardcore cigar smokers usually like a stronger flavor and the Macanudo is too mild. The second question I had was how I can get him to try a few different sticks, because I know he will like some of the others. Got the answer to that as well. Lastly, I wanted to see if refrigerator storage was by any means proper to keep cigars.

If you say so...

Quote:
The reason I ask is that my uncle smokes Macanudos pretty exclusively, he doesnt know very much about cigars, but he likes to think he does. He keeps his Macanudo (he buys them 1 at a time) in the crisper drawer of the refrigerator with a glass of water. I personally dont know if this method does anything at all but hes the most stubborn person youll ever meet and theres no tellin' him different. Next time I see him, I want to give him some legitimate reasons why Macanudos arent the only way to go. Not trying to change his tastes, the man likes what he likes, I just want to show him I know a little about cigars too. Thanks in advance guys.
Pauly

You're what? 19?

Based on what you wrote, you're trying to exert some male dominance and gain recognition.

It's natural. Don't worry about it.

Probably not a battle worth fighting though, it'll most likely cost you more in the relationship than it's worth. So what if he likes Macanudos. Let him like them. Why try and change him, he's happy with what he's doing and smoking.

If you feel you must try and prove something to him, I would recommend gifting him a high end or vintage Macanudo (like one of the old Jamaican Macanudos) and not making a big deal out of it. But don't be surprised or disappointed if someone as stubborn as you imply him to be, might simply automatically discount your gift as "Crap" or is so set in his ways and tastes that any deviation from his normal flavor profile is "Crap".

Some things are just best left be.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM   #32
DocLogic77
Feeling at Home

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (1)
Partagas
DocLogic77 is on a distinguished road

People like what they like. My dad complains when I hand him a CC. He wants a Macanudo or a Swisher Sweet. Whatcha going to do?
Old 06-28-2010, 01:34 PM   #33
akumushi
Habanos Apologist

Trading: (11)
LGC
akumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura aboutakumushi has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
If you say so...

You're what? 19?

Based on what you wrote, you're trying to exert some male dominance and gain recognition.

Probably not a battle worth fighting though, it'll most likely cost you more in the relationship than it's worth. So what if he likes Macanudos. Let him like them. Why try and change him, he's happy with what he's doing and smoking.

If you feel you must try and prove something to him, I would recommend gifting him a high end or vintage Macanudo (like one of the old Jamaican Macanudos) and not making a big deal out of it. But don't be surprised or disappointed if someone as stubborn as you imply him to be, might simply automatically discount your gift as "Crap" or is so set in his ways and tastes that any deviation from his normal flavor profile is "Crap".

I don't know that I agree with that. I think as hobbyists and enthusiasts we get so wrapped up in our passion and desire to share the joy of a great cigar with people that we are sometimes mystifed by those who are not as interested in expanding their horizons, or getting any deeper into the hobby than we are. I myself have been perplexed when someone is simply not interested in branching out into better, finer cigars. My grandfather got me into cigars and while he enjoys the CCs and Premiums NCs that I bring him when I visit, he sticks to his own cheap NC bundles most of the time and has yet to be lured over to the darkside. I see him gradually trying new things, but it's been a long, slow process of gifting him premiums cigars and letting his tast develop over time. That said, there are two kind of people, those that cling to a narrow routine, love the familiar and are threatened by change, and those who thrive on change, seek out new experiences as a way of life and get bored with the same thing everyday. You are not going to pull someone out of a rut if that's were they want to be.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #34
ChicagoWhiteSox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
I completely disagree, he is missing out on nothing. He enjoys an occasional cigar and smokes Mac's. I dont see what is missing. Its like saying a devout trout fisherman is missing out because he doesnt fish for bass. He is doing something that gives him great pleasure and that's what its all about. We are but a very small percentage of cigar smoking public, the enthusiast. A far greater number of cigar lovers are single brand smokers.
Paul said his uncle doesn't know a lot about cigars. Meaning, he has no idea whats out there besides what he sees in a gas station. If the only cigars I had access or knew about were Macs, then I would be content with them. I think maybe if he knew more about cigars, and whats actually available to him, then he could form a better understanding
Old 06-28-2010, 01:56 PM   #35
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

You might be right Clayton, or it could be a bit of both.

Hell, most of us probably had something to prove when we were 19 too, so I don't blame him if that is the case.

As for the rest, sounds like we're basically on the same page.
Old 06-28-2010, 04:50 PM   #36
gvarsity
still crazy

Trading: (15)
gvarsity will become famous soon enough

I remember when I was 16 I had access to Macanudos through work and I hated them because I thought they were stale. We also had the nc Partagas which I liked just fine. Years later when I knew more about cigars I had a Macanudo that was perfectly cared for and it still tasted stale to me. It's just the flavor profile. Couldn't pay me to smoke one now.

As for your uncle you are wasting your time. People like what they like and there is nothing wrong with that. I used to work in a brew pub and people would come in with friends or for the food and order bud or miller all the time because that is all they liked.

IMHO just sharing a smoke with him and you enjoying what you like and him enjoying what he likes and both of you thinking the other is crazy and talking about sports or something else is a great way to spend and evening. When it comes to preference there is no right or wrong. Sometimes more people may share your preference but it still doesn't make it right.
gvarsity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 08:14 PM   #37
Pauly Walnuts

Quote:
If you say so...

You're what? 19?

Yessir freshly turned 19. Not feeling much male dominance either though, what you bolded is all true, I would like to show him I know a little bit about cigars despite my young age. Not by any means trying to tell him Macanudos are bad or that he should change his tastes, but find him a few more cigars that he would like because he picked up a Macanudo and closed himself off to other cigars. I dont see anything wrong with that, and most certainly not trying to dominate him or overpower him in any way. We have a very healthy relationship and would never let it be damaged over a cigar. Actually we've never even been in a heated arguement over one. Im not planning on kicking down his door and demand that he put down the Macanudo and come out with his hands up or anything along those lines.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:19 PM   #38
nozero

I liked the Hyde Parks that I've tried. Hated the Robust. But it's been a long while since I've had either and my tastes have changed significantly.

If he likes them, more power to him!
Old 06-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #39
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Yessir freshly turned 19. Not feeling much male dominance either though, what you bolded is all true, I would like to show him I know a little bit about cigars despite my young age. Not by any means trying to tell him Macanudos are bad or that he should change his tastes, but find him a few more cigars that he would like because he picked up a Macanudo and closed himself off to other cigars. I dont see anything wrong with that, and most certainly not trying to dominate him or overpower him in any way. We have a very healthy relationship and would never let it be damaged over a cigar. Actually we've never even been in a heated arguement over one. Im not planning on kicking down his door and demand that he put down the Macanudo and come out with his hands up or anything along those lines.
Ok, so it's recognition. Understandable, most everyone has probably been there at one point.

You are trying to change his tastes though. You're trying to expand them, this is a change. And while that might be great for someone who is into cigars, doesn't really sound like he is. Enjoy the time smoking with him, don't fret over trying to help him when he doesn't want to be helped. He chose to be closed off, but he's happy there.

A long time ago, I gave a good friend (who is a cigarette smoker, not really a cigar smoker) of mine a tin of RyJ Bullys, one of those 3 or 4 cigar fold out tins that JR sells, as a birthday gift since I knew that was one of the only cigars he likes. A few months later I get a call from him thanking me for the great cigar. I was puzzled, he doesn't have a humidor, where was he keeping them. He mentioned that he was at the jobsite, was waiting around, having a bad day, and opened up the glove box of his truck and found one of the cigars. It had been in there, with no humidification, baking in the California summer for three or four months. I started to say something about not being proper storage and he responded with "But I like them that way." *shrug* He was happy with them that way, so who am I to try and open his eyes and tell him that he'll benefit from better storage? For the remaining two or three cigars from that tin, very time he pulled one of these baked cigars out of the glove box and smoked it, I'd get a phone call thanking me for giving them to him.

He's happy with them. Maybe a better experience isn't what he's after. Screw it. I ain't gotta smoke them.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 PM   #40
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Meant to add something - ran out of time...

It's great that you want to help him find something else out there that might be better or that he might like equally. It's also good that you understand that it's not worth risking damaging a relationship over.

Enjoy the time smoking with him, don't fret over trying to help him when he doesn't want to be helped. He chose to be closed off, but he's happy there. If he feels you are fighting with him or trying to teach him, he might have the opposite reaction to what you are looking for (which is that you want to gain some recognition), I don't know, I don't know him, all I know is that the personality description you gave could easily sway that way. Heck, next time you smoke with him, ask him if you can try one of his Macanudos, that might go further for you than anything else.

You might even like the cigar too.