Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-28-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Another old SMOKE review - Munimaker Perfecto 100

Another review I did for SMOKE in 1999. I cannot believe they slipped this bad boy in there.

Figurado #77
Munimaker Perfecto 100

1) Aesthetics:
This was an ugly cigar in a good sort of way. A perfecto is always a work of art to look at, but the maduro (almost oscuro) wrapper looked like it could stand up to WWIII. I did like the look of this box-pressed smoke - a hearty maduro wrapper can be a sweet indulgence. One sample had a gap where the wrapper didn't meet the previous wrap and the binder showed through.

Score for aesthetics: 2.8

2) Pre-light Construction:
For a brutish looking smoke, I was surprised that this cigar was light and rather loosely packed. An overpowering hay aroma struck you when you smelled the foot, but the wrapper smelled sweet.

Score for Pre-light construction: 2.1

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked:
This cigar drew very well, it should have considering how loosely wrapped it was. It burned very evenly and produced a very feeble ash that didn't hold up to even a slight touch. Near the end it started smoking a bit hot in one of the samples. One disappointing feature was the "floaters" I got in my mouth - I didn't take one apart, but it appeared that these were either sandwich filled or short filler.

Score for post-light construction: 2.0

4) Flavor and strength:
A very light and sweet smoke that had some enticing flavors that I can't really label. It was consistent in taste from start to finish.

Score for flavor and strength: flavor 3.5 / strength 1.9

5) Aftertaste/Finish:
A sweet, congenial finish that lingered attractively kept me interested in this cigar.
Score for aftertaste: 3.1

6) Aroma:
I felt like I was walking through a vegetable garden while I was smoking this cigar. It reminded me a bit of the smell of walking in the green peppers patch when I was a kid, a pleasant sensation.

Score for aroma: 3.3

7) General Comments:

I was impressed that these cigars were very consistent. I found the Mr. Pibb I had with this cigar complimented it very well. An espresso one morning was also a great combination. This is a good golf cigar.

Overall score for the cigar: 2.9

8) Recommendation: Possibly Recommended

If these come fairly cheaply, I suggest this as a good early morning golf cigar - it could definitely hold up to being tossed around the rough.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Another old SMOKE review - Munimaker Perfecto

Thanks for the review! I love me some Muniemakers! They are ugly as sin though.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #3
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice
Default Re: Another old SMOKE review - Munimaker Perfecto

Muniemakers are fantastic! I love the fact that I can pick these up at a CVS or Walgreens. Once in a very great while I'll find myself without a cigar. I know that these cigars are always great and can find one quickly.

I'm lucky that I live near the Connecticut Valley where a lot of the tobacco for these are grown. (They used to be made in CT until the state foolishly taxed cigar inventories, now made in PA.) Some of the old time cigar shops carry many of the different frontmarks of this brand.

I know that many stay away from machine made cigars, but these are very different from the mass-produced junk. They're all tobacco often with a beautiful CT Broadleaf wrapper. They taste better than a lot of premium cigars that cost 3 times as much.

Topper makes some very similar cigars as does John Hay cigars. If you can find these fine machine mades you should give them a try. I promise you won't be disappointed.