Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 10-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
The Saint

Default Cusano 18 Paired Maduro

First off, many thanks to www.mycigarlink.com for the chance to review(and to revisit)this cigar.
Second, My apologies for not posting this sooner, as I've been dealing with some health issues, but thats a story for another time. As well as some family drama...scratch that, make that In-Law drama(stupid in-laws ).
At any rate here is my review, hope you enjoy it as much as I had doing it!

Cusano 18 Paired Maduro
Size-Toro Gordo 6 1/4 X 54 Wrapper-1996 Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro
Binder-1996 Dominican San Vicente Olor
Filler-1985 Dominican Oro and Seco, 1999 San Vicente Olor, 1996 Brazillian Mata Fina Maduro, 1999 Dominican Ligero Piloto

Pre-Light: First off, it has been a LONG time since I've smoked one of these, as a matter of fact; I think it was around the release. I remember liking it then so it shouldn't be a stretch that I'll like it now. A very good sized cigar, well rolled and well filled, it felt heavy in hand. Almost like a tank, a big black oily tank, but a tank non the less. The wrapper was shiny from oil and looked like leather, the aroma was rich with that maduro sweetness.

First Impressions: WOW! Lots of leather mixed nicely with earth and maddie sweetness. Not overpowering like some of the other guys are rolling, but a textbook medium bodied delight. The burn is spot on, no touch ups or rolling the cigar around to get it to even out. This one paired great(see what I did there, huh? Yep, Momma Saint did raise no dummy) with my cup of Sumatra coffee.

Half-time: Continues to burn like a champ, straight and true. The leather has toned down quite a bit, but is still noticable, the earthy black tobacco has stepped it up some and the sweetness plays well with the others. So far I'm a happy guy.

The Finish: The room aroma is very plesent (thats from the wife, so I guess I had a little help in writing this)and the flavor is as well. Still medium bodied, still leathery and sweet, This one has turned out to be a wonderful smoke. Kinda like I remembered it.

The Summery: If you like a very good medium bodied maduro, this very well could be your "go-to" cigar. I would advise anyone from Noobs to us FOG's to pick up a fiver if you haven't tried it or if you want to revisit it like I did. This is one of those cigars that flys below the radar and would be a shame if they quit production on these, its not "mind blowing", but it is a great staple for anyone's humidor!

The Saint's Halo-meter:
Strength: 7 Halos
Construction: 8 Halos
Value: 8 Halos

Do yourself a favor and pick up a fiver in either Conn. shade(if you like them mild) or in the Conn. Maduro(if you like them a little stronger).
Old 10-16-2009, 08:12 AM   #2
mycigarlink

Default Re: Cusano 18 Paired Maduro

great review! I will post it on the site.
http://www.mycigarlink.com/cusano-18-gordo-madu18.html

Last edited by mycigarlink; 10-16-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
gnukfu
I like cigars

First Name: George
Trading: (27)
LGC
gnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the roughgnukfu is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the review. I grabbed a 10 pack of the robusto maduros. What a great smoke for the price.

gnukfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Excellent review.

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
SkinsFanLarry

The Cusano 18 and Cusano 18 Maduro have always been two of my "go-to" cigars.