Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
MrWolf55
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Mike
Trading: (3)
RyJ
MrWolf55 is on a distinguished road
Default Graycliff Platinum Edicion Limitada

This is my first review so bear with me. I'm not exactly the best with all the descriptive lingo that often gets thrown around when tasting cigars, so I'll try to explain what I tasted in more un-cultured terms.
Ever since I visited the Graycliff factory in Nassau a few years back I've always been a big Graycliff fan, particularly of the Red Label and Gran Cru lines. So when I got a few Graycliff Platinum Edicion Limitada Pirates (torpedo) 6 months ago in a blind trade on another board, I got real excited and buried them at the bottom of my Graycliff humi. Although they aren't really true Graycliffs (Nicaraguan and not rolled at the resort), they were none the less part of the brand portfolio and one I wanted to get around to. So tonight I figured I'd take one out and see what I thought.
The one thing I hate about Graycliffs (and this cigar was no exception) is that they use the tightest cello in the world to package their cigars - I don't know if they're vaccum packed in there or what, but its a whole ordeal just to get them out; and this stick was no exception. However, once out, it looked gorgeous - clean, smooth habano wrapper with very few veins and no soft spots. Also, it's pretty heavy. At first glance, it seems to be an extremely high quality stick (and it should be for over $20 a single).
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The cigar lit easy enough and burned pretty even through the first third, save for this annoying vain that wouldn't seem to burn. The draw was perfect, and the smoke was plentiful. However, for the first 20 minutes it had the most horrible taste. You know how sometimes things can taste like a smell? (or vise versa?) well all I could taste was the smell of urinal cake. Very ammonia-y and gross, which is odd because this isn't exactly a young cigar. After all, it's at least two years old. At any rate, the few cocoa notes I tasted at this point were over-powered by the piss and flowers taste that I couldn't seem to get past. I would say it was medium to full bodied at this point.
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The second third of this cigar improved only a bit from the first third. The taste evolved for me into a cinnamon-y sweet taste until it hit me what it finally tasted like - the butter pecan pancake syrup that they serve at I-hop. (Next time you stop in there for a shortstack go try it, it's amazing). It's a pleasant taste, but the urinal hint is still lingering around there a bit. At this point the cigar moves into full-bodied for me.

I don't have a picture of the final third of this cigar, but it burned pretty well all the way to the end and held a good ash. The urinal taste subsided with about 2 inches left, allowing me to enjoy the last third without any distractions. It finished off with a slightly toasty, creamy note, much like I'd associate with a connecticut wrapper (odd I know). To me, it tasted exactly like when you eat a big bowl of honey nut cheerios and then drink the milk at the bottom. I found this to be a really strange mix as this was a pretty full bodied cigar (I thought, anyways), and I've never had something this strong with such a light and creamy profile.

In conclusion, I didn't find this cigar all that impressive. The burn, draw, and construction were all of the highest quality, worthy of a $22 price tag - but for me the taste just wasn't. The few of these I have left I plan to sit on for another few years and see if that ammonia taste leaves. If so, it would make for a pretty decent smoke. Until then, I'll stick with my Chateau Gran Cru's
MrWolf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 02:22 AM   #2
Dunkel
Maduro & Oscuro Whore-O

First Name: Doug
Trading: (75)
Dunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really niceDunkel is just really nice
Default Re: Graycliff Platinum Edicion Limitada

"However, for the first 20 minutes it had the most horrible taste. You know how sometimes things can taste like a smell? (or vise versa?) well all I could taste was the smell of urinal cake. Very ammonia-y and gross, which is odd because this isn't exactly a young cigar. After all, it's at least two years old. At any rate, the few cocoa notes I tasted at this point were over-powered by the piss and flowers taste that I couldn't seem to get past."

Yummy, Can't wait to try one!
Old 07-18-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the review. I give you a alot of credit powering through 20 mins of urinal cake.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:31 AM   #4
RobR1205
Starting a new chapter

First Name: Rob
Trading: (19)
HUpmann Army (Disabled Vet)
RobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura aboutRobR1205 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Thanks for the review. I give you a alot of credit powering through 20 mins of urinal cake.
You're one brave soul! Good review though, I enjoyed reading it.
RobR1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 07:55 AM   #5
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra03 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobR1205 View Post
You're one brave soul! Good review though, I enjoyed reading it.
Thanks for doing this review -- even though the stick sucked.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
MrWolf55
Still Watching My Back

RyJ

Thanks all for reading. Yeah it definitely was not the best smoking experience I've ever had, especially for a cigar in that price range. Luckily it personally cost me nothing by a few hours of my evening. I can see this stick having a lot of potential though, just not anytime soon.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Graycliff is the Gurkha of the Bahamas.
Old 07-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #8
MrWolf55
Still Watching My Back

RyJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenguamor View Post
Graycliff is the Gurkha of the Bahamas.
hmm, gotta disagree with you on that. Price-gouging wise, yes I agree; but quality, IMO, no. This is the first Graycliff i've had that I didn't care for - most are quite tasty I think. Meanwhile, I've yet to have a Gurkha that I didn't pitch halfway though.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
mtnman
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
mtnman is on a distinguished road

Nice review. Done like a pro!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWolf55 View Post
hmm, gotta disagree with you on that. Price-gouging wise, yes I agree; but quality, IMO, no. This is the first Graycliff i've had that I didn't care for - most are quite tasty I think. Meanwhile, I've yet to have a Gurkha that I didn't pitch halfway though.
Tongue in cheek...mostly. Fact is I haven't liked a Graycliff in a long time; seems like after Avelino's retirement and subsequent passing, they changed for the worse.

But yeah, nothing is as bad as a Gurkha.