Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #161
nitropyro3

Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
and the flaming continues! This time with not even half truths but complete lies

this just in: apple has even more apps and is also insurable

edit: I'd also like if you could elaborate just slightly on with the iTouch is a "piece"
My I-touch is a piece because it will not recognize wireless networks and when i call apple they say i will have to pay for a new one b/c the warranty is out even though it was bought from apple less than a year before i called them. No. 2 most of the apps on it forceclose and when i try to do anything except play music it forcecloses and shuts off. When it comes to playing music it does a heck of a job but thats not why i got it. Reference the I-phone being insurable now this is news to me as my father just got one less than a month ago and at that point it was still un-insurable. By un-insurable i mnean against physical damage. I am aware that you can insure against product malfunctions but thats what a warranty should cover. Please let me know if you can now insure for accidental physical damage as it is news to me so i can stop telling "Lies". And i dont mean by putting it under your homeowners umbrella coverage which is exactly what AT&T told me i would have to do. By all means i am not being a smartass just stating what i have been told directly from apple and AT&T. Again please let me know if this has changed. BTW i do know that apple has WAY more apps, but droid also has more than anyone will ever need.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:59 PM   #162
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropyro3 View Post
My I-touch is a piece because it will not recognize wireless networks and when i call apple they say i will have to pay for a new one b/c the warranty is out even though it was bought from apple less than a year before i called them. No. 2 most of the apps on it forceclose and when i try to do anything except play music it forcecloses and shuts off. When it comes to playing music it does a heck of a job but thats not why i got it. Reference the I-phone being insurable now this is news to me as my father just got one less than a month ago and at that point it was still un-insurable. By un-insurable i mnean against physical damage. I am aware that you can insure against product malfunctions but thats what a warranty should cover. Please let me know if you can now insure for accidental physical damage as it is news to me so i can stop telling "Lies". And i dont mean by putting it under your homeowners umbrella coverage which is exactly what AT&T told me i would have to do. By all means i am not being a smartass just stating what i have been told directly from apple and AT&T. Again please let me know if this has changed. BTW i do know that apple has WAY more apps, but droid also has more than anyone will ever need.
Did you provide it to them before the warranty expired?
If you did, doubt they would not honor it.
If they didn't, sounds like you have a small claims filing that would get you to recover your costs for court and invoke your warranty for you.
If you didn't provide it to them before the year for repairs, well, a warranty is just that and if the year expired, there is no coverage. Not different than with a much, much more expensive purchase of a car.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #163
nitropyro3

The ipod was recieved with the purchase of a macbook, an incentive type thing. When i called them they said that the ipod was an old model and warranty had expired. My thoughts are that they had a ton of old stock and shipped those out, could be wrong who knows. Not that worried about it but it was just the fact of the matter that put a bad taste in my mouth about the touch's. Mind you this was a Gen 1. I have never ever had any problems with my new Nano.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #164
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

So the iTouch sucks in general because you had an isolated problem on an out of warranty product?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 03:07 PM   #165
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
So the iTouch sucks in general because you had an isolated problem on an out of warranty product?
Posted via Mobile Device
Jim,
Folks will likely not believe this but my 2 and a half year old grandson has an original version of the iPod Touch.
That kid beats the living crap out of it and it still ticks.

When he comes to my house, which is at least 5 days a week, the first thing he asks for is my iPhone. He knows how to use half of my applications. He has dropped it on me at least a half a dozen times. Additionally, I have dropped it another half dozen times at least. All I have on it is an Incipio cover. It has yet to break or malfunction.

So, things can go wrong with them as with anything. However, that first generation iPod Touch and my iPhone can outlast a 2 and a half year old. Not bad at all if you ask me.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #166
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCanuk View Post
[
"Also, in your wedding scenario, an hour before the ceremony I don't see how an offsight backup would have helped? Dropping the phone and shattering the screen could happen to any phone. Is he going to drive to the store and buy a new phone then drive to his home or office where he has his backup memory card stored?"

In this case is somebody else had another Iphone just take the card out and put in the other person's and presto
I put "off site" in "" to mean not in his phone. If he had the option of a removable memory card, he could back it up to the card, slip it in his pocket and put it in ANYONE elses phone
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #167
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

I'd respond to the cloud storage point, but there wouldn't be a point really. Apple fanboys will always find a reason to try and prove why paying more money for less features is a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #168
Resipsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil View Post
I'd respond to the cloud storage point, but there wouldn't be a point really. Apple fanboys will always find a reason to try and prove why paying more money for less features is a good idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Insulting people really isn't the way to get your point across,

Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #169
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
And windows/etc fanboys will never understand why paying more money for less features is a good idea. We worship flexibility, why would anyone not want join us in our devotions to this oh so holy light?

The fundamental reason the arguments cannot be reconciled is because the conditions of victory are different, so even a "winning" argument from one side will forever be a "losing" argument to the other, simply because the goals are different.

While both sides make factually correct arguments, all they have done is prove that their camp is "the best" at what it does.... but since each camp has different goals, proving that your camp is "the best" only means you are better than other similarly themed camps.

FOR EXAMPLE, Windows Mobile VS Android is a fair comparison from which it is theoretically possible to obtain a clear winner. Bother are robust, complicated and OS's with significant flexibility, hackability, and features, so then you are comparing apples to apples and can determine a winner - in other words, an individual's purchasing decision is determined by which platform or phone is better.

BUT Comparing Android/Windows to iPhone is, IMO, comparing apples to oranges. Yes, they're both PDA phones, but if you really think about it, their fundamental philosophy and feature set are vastly different. In other words - an individual's purchasing decision is not made by comparing the two platforms or phones, it is made by comparing the two philosophy's and choosing which is better.

If you chose the philosophy of Apple, then the decision ends there (none other can compete).... and if you chose the philosophy of windows/android/etc, then you still have to dig into the details and decide on a specific device or platform within that philosophy (plenty of competition).
Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM   #170
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation

I've never said cloud is better. I said I don't use my sd card and would use a cloud because I have mobileme. In fact, there has been almost no "fanboy" comments from apple users in this entire thread... just apple bashing from the other side. Its a personal preference, I don't care what other people use
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 06:46 PM   #171
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Insulting people really isn't the way to get your point across,
I'm not sure how I insulted anyone, unless the term fanboy is insulting. If that's the case, I apologize.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #172
Resipsa

The hilarious thing to me is that I've never owned an Apple computer in my life. The extent of my involvement with Apple is that I owned an ipod classic, and now I own an Iphone. I've used windows based computers my whole life

As an aside, people do realize that Apple computers are PC's too right? Just to keep our terminology straight,

Old 04-10-2010, 06:48 PM   #173
Resipsa

Quote:
I'm not sure how I insulted anyone, unless the term fanboy is insulting. If that's the case, I apologize.
Posted via Mobile Device
Duuuuuuuddddeeeeeee.........come on now, man up.

Of course you know it's insulting, that's why you used it.

Reminds me of someone from the South who once told me that she didn't realize that "yankee" was an insulting term

Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #174
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

One more point about removable storage- sure a cloud system is a nice workaround to being able to double back up, unless you can't access the internet for whatever reason (network down, blackspot, you forgot to pay your bill, in a foreign country, etc.)

Then you're back to not having a backup...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 PM   #175
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Duuuuuuuddddeeeeeee.........come on now, man up.

Of course you know it's insulting, that's why you used it.

Reminds me of someone from the South who once told me that she didn't realize that "yankee" was an insulting term
I see the term used all the time; often by those who use and love apple. I didn't rrealize it would be such an insulting term, so once again...I apologize.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #176
Resipsa

Quote:
I see the term used all the time; often by those who use and love apple. I didn't rrealize it would be such an insulting term, so once again...I apologize.
Posted via Mobile Device
No need to apologize to me I'm not a fanboy so Im not insulted

To address the cloud storage issue. It's the way things are moving, like it or not. SD cards, and physical media of all kinds, are on their way out. Simply the way it is. Same way the physical keyboard is on the way out. You don't have to like it, but you'd better get used to it.

As an aside, phone manufacturers don't include sd slots so that people can make backups, slide shows, power point presentations, etc. They include them so they can compete with the iphone. People expect to be able to carry the music and videos with them, and nobody is going to tolerate the 1gb internal memory that comes standard on most phones. Without an sd slot for their media, nobody would buy them.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #177
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
No need to apologize to me I'm not a fanboy so Im not insulted

To address the cloud storage issue.
Cloud storage? Is that where Lando keeps his wardrobe on Bespin? Oops. I guess I'm a fanboy...

Insert quote here.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:20 PM   #178
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

I don't believe for a second that physical keyboards are on the way out. Most companies have a touchscreen option, but all but one also have physical keyboards on their phones.

And yeah I use cloud storage as well, but the point remains I'm aware of the shortcomings of relying on carrier internet connections for important work. I think ahead, and don't want to risk blowing an important presentation (like a speech at a wedding).

And yeah, some market segments want to carry all their music and videos with them, but business people, CEO's, and those in that segment have much less need to carry a bunch of music. That's why Blackberries are still very much the choice of that demographic.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #179
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

blackberries are still the choice of business because it was first with push mail service and is therfore part of the culture because it is established in the corporate support system of IT purchasin g getc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #180
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by kydsid View Post
blackberries are still the choice of business because it was first with push mail service and is therfore part of the culture because it is established in the corporate support system of IT purchasin g getc.
Posted via Mobile Device

BUT they were also simple and more idiot proof for what business needed done. JUST LIKE the iPhone has a very simple feature set that specifically targets it's market, the Blackberry has a very limited and specific feature set that targets its market.

Times are changing however, and the blackberry market is beginning to demand more features..... they had best innovate, and soon, or they may lose their market.