Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #141
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Re: iPhone Sucks and Apple are Bastards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Jim,
Check out the new features coming for the 4.0 OS for the iPhone.

Clicky

come on now, Carlos.... you know me.

I was following the live blog of the keynote post by post LOL

However, none of it makes a damn bit of difference until it actually shows up on Verizon
Old 04-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #142
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
come on now, Carlos.... you know me.

I was following the live blog of the keynote post by post LOL

However, none of it makes a damn bit of difference until it actually shows up on Verizon

Silly me.
And true on the Verizon piece.
I think I will laugh silly the day Verizon does get it as they will be making lines around the block, to wait for the next shipment no less.
Old 04-10-2010, 12:05 AM   #143
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Replace "windows" with "windows mobile"

Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 AM   #144
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Tazziedevil is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You don't have to sync it with itunes, and it has multitasking soon (really awesome if you saw the vid)

Tactile feedback is sort of a personal choice so cannot comment on that.

The non-user replaceable battery is a *****, tho.

I can think of something less useful though, its called a WiMo phone! lol. I don't care who you are thats funny right there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3XdOl5YtLg
I don't find iTunes a useful program. It's buggy and bloated, slow, and I like to drag and drop files to my phone/mp3 player- which I couldn't do with my iPod.

I don't blindly hate apple, I have used several apple products, and I find them to be overhyped and underwhelming. i.e.:It's taken apple 3 years to figure out that people like to do more than one thing at a time?

The BIGGEST problem is the lack of memory card support. For professionals who do lots of work on their phone, not being able to back up presentations, quotes, invoices and receipts to a removable card is ridiculous. Imagine doing hours of work, then losing it all due to theft, misplacing your phone, or breaking.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #145
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazziedevil View Post
I don't find iTunes a useful program. It's buggy and bloated, slow, and I like to drag and drop files to my phone/mp3 player- which I couldn't do with my iPod.

I don't blindly hate apple, I have used several apple products, and I find them to be overhyped and underwhelming. i.e.:It's taken apple 3 years to figure out that people like to do more than one thing at a time?

The BIGGEST problem is the lack of memory card support. For professionals who do lots of work on their phone, not being able to back up presentations, quotes, invoices and receipts to a removable card is ridiculous. Imagine doing hours of work, then losing it all due to theft, misplacing your phone, or breaking.
How exactly would a memory card (that is in your phone) benefit you in those two situations?
Old 04-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #146
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I'm not an itunes fan either, but aside from jailbreaking my iphone, I'm stuck with it.
At times I've had as many as a dozen ipods, I used to sell them at ebay. I've never used itunes with them. I always used Ephpod for file transfer and tagrunner for automatically fixing my tags and adding lyrics.
I'm sincerely hoping that someday itunes wont suck, and it is getting better slowly.
As soon as I find something that'll work with my iphone (and I haven't looked recently), I'm sure I'll move away from itunes again.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:59 AM   #147
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post

Silly me.
And true on the Verizon piece.
I think I will laugh silly the day Verizon does get it as they will be making lines around the block, to wait for the next shipment no less.
I watched the ipad rollout live, but got in late for the iphone OS meeting. I didn't know about it till you posted about it.
I still caught the last 10 or 20 minutes live.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 AM   #148
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:

I could understand how people used to having a removable drive would not like the idea of not having one. I have a card in my Droid and have never taken it out. And for apple, the ability to sync with your idisk (if you have one) sort of would settle that problem for me..... but not everyone would be satisfied.

I don't think apple is for everyone, its just people that can't say "I just prefer having these options that apple doesn't offer" instead of "apple blows! they can't do this or this or this and PC has since 1988!"

The bashing without citing facts (or citing facts that are ridiculously inaccurate lol) just irks me
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #149
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD720 View Post
How exactly would a memory card (that is in your phone) benefit you in those two situations?
If it was in your phone it wouldn't. But if you back up your work to a removable card, then put the card in a seperate location you would have a backup. But Apple doesn't think this is a good idea somehow.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #150
Tazziedevil
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
If it was in your phone it wouldn't. But if you back up your work to a removable card, then put the card in a seperate location you would have a backup. But Apple doesn't think this is a good idea somehow

I'm a wedding photographer, and just tonight the groom had written his speech on his iPhone. All good until hour dropped his iphone, shattered the screen and lost his speech- and he had to wing it at the reception. If only he could have had a "off site" backup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-10-2010, 08:11 AM   #151
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

It is my humble opinion that the reason Apple products are so popular with many folks is the exact same reason that they are equally despised by others.

Apple products are designed with a specific, targeted, but very limited feature set. They are not flexible. You will do it their way, or not at all. IN RETURN FOR THAT, what they do always works, with very few errors. Conflicts, debugging, driver issues, multiple source issues, all those things are significantly reduced.

Furthermore, by simplifying the interface so much, Apple ensures that the greatest number of people can use it with the greatest amount of success. It will forever be hobbled by that simplicity, but the vast majority of people never demand more, so why should they care?

Steve'o gets to build an empire charging inflated prices BECAUSE as any good businessman will tell you, its the price the market will bear. Clearly people are willing to pay for what Apple offers, and its certainly NOT a "rich feature set" they are paying for, its the very LACK of a feature set (disguised as simplicity) that people are willing to pay for.

My hatred of Apple products will never change, because I will always demand greater flexibility, and I will always be willing to accept the trade-off that it will come with the bugs and flaws inherent in windows/android/whatever software. I recognize that you can't have one without the other and I am at peace with that.

Apple fanboys need to wake up, smell the roses, and realize that their beloved products ARE LIMITED in what they can do. You paid premium $ for a product that does less, BUT YOUR HAPPY, so I believe the cigar smokers adage applies here.

Windows/etc. fanboys need to wake up, smell the roses, and realize that quite a lot of people DON'T GIVE A DAMN about the X Y Z things their more flexible product can do, they just want it to work well without having to think about it! You paid less $ for a product that does more, at the expense of effort spent fixing it, or effort ALREADY SPENT learning to fix it without much effort.

well, thats enough ramblings for one moment. Both camps are generally a bit deluded and blind to the drawback of their chosen path.

As for me, I believe William Wallace said it best: FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDOM!
Old 04-10-2010, 08:22 AM   #152
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

well there is a post that can actually be responded to.

It is just a matter of where you rank things. You like the freedom, I used to have the freedom (when I had a PC) and found that I didn't really need it. I like how everything just works (for the most part) with Apple.... and the simplicity offered works better for me than the freedom I'm giving up that I wouldn't use anyways.

Or as far as phones go, I don't ever even remove my SD card now on my Droid when I have it, so not having one in an iphone wouldn't make any difference. What would make a difference would be my ability to sync with my Macs and mobileme and itunes/idisk
Old 04-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #153
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
If it was in your phone it wouldn't. But if you back up your work to a removable card, then put the card in a seperate location you would have a backup. But Apple doesn't think this is a good idea somehow.

I'm a wedding photographer, and just tonight the groom had written his speech on his iPhone. All good until hour dropped his iphone, shattered the screen and lost his speech- and he had to wing it at the reception. If only he could have had a "off site" backup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't have an iPhone but I'm pretty sure that you can make a complete back up on iTunes and restore it to a different or new iPhone whenever. Someone with an iPhone can confirm or dis-confirm...

Also, in your wedding scenario, an hour before the ceremony I don't see how an offsight backup would have helped? Dropping the phone and shattering the screen could happen to any phone. Is he going to drive to the store and buy a new phone then drive to his home or office where he has his backup memory card stored?

I usually don't get into these debates but for being such a major complaint, in 75% of the scenarios you've described memory card storage wouldn't help at all...

I'm not trying to defend the iPhone. Like I said, I don't have one.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #154
GTCanuk
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Paul (AKA Darrel)
Bolivar
GTCanuk is on a distinguished road

[
"Also, in your wedding scenario, an hour before the ceremony I don't see how an offsight backup would have helped? Dropping the phone and shattering the screen could happen to any phone. Is he going to drive to the store and buy a new phone then drive to his home or office where he has his backup memory card stored?"

In this case is somebody else had another Iphone just take the card out and put in the other person's and presto
Old 04-10-2010, 08:49 AM   #155
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCanuk View Post
[
"Also, in your wedding scenario, an hour before the ceremony I don't see how an offsight backup would have helped? Dropping the phone and shattering the screen could happen to any phone. Is he going to drive to the store and buy a new phone then drive to his home or office where he has his backup memory card stored?"

In this case is somebody else had another Iphone just take the card out and put in the other person's and presto
If you re-read Taz's post he said "off-sight" backup. Ergo the card wouldn't be in the phone at the wedding, but in a secondary location.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 AM   #156
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

Partagas

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTCanuk View Post
[

Just wanted to add, I'm not trying to break balls, just discussing. No hostility intended...
Old 04-10-2010, 09:34 AM   #157
Resipsa

Sorry but I can't help myself I
just have to weigh in on this memory card issue, LOL. The guys who seem
to feel these are the cats ass of the backup solution are simply behind the tech curve, have pity on them. I do a lot of
work on my iPhone. It's backed up every night when I sync the
phone. I also upload all of my files to my google docs account right from the iPhone, and a second backup goes to my dropbox account, which has a iPhone app for it. Cloud storage is the best way to back things up, not sd cards. That way the info is wherever you are, all you have to do is access it. In the wedding scenario, if this happenned all he would have had to do use someone elses phone to pull another copy down from
the cloud. Simple

Old 04-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #158
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resipsa View Post
Sorry but I can't help myself I
just have to weigh in on this memory card issue, LOL. The guys who seem
to feel these are the cats ass of the backup solution are simply behind the tech curve, have pity on them. I do a lot of
work on my iPhone. It's backed up every night when I sync the
phone. I also upload all of my files to my google docs account right from the iPhone, and a second backup goes to my dropbox account, which has a iPhone app for it. Cloud storage is the best way to back things up, not sd cards. That way the info is wherever you are, all you have to do is access it. In the wedding scenario, if this happenned all he would have had to do use someone elses phone to pull another copy down from
the cloud. Simple
I was gonna suggest cloud storage, or one of another dozen backup solutions that don't require a memory card, but you beat me to it, Vic.
I think the problem is that folks are thinking "laptop" and ipad isn't.
Old 04-10-2010, 09:54 AM   #159
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I was gonna suggest cloud storage, or one of another dozen backup solutions that don't require a memory card, but you beat me to it, Vic.
I think the problem is that folks are thinking "laptop" and ipad isn't.
yah thats what I've been talking about with mobileme and the idisk storage..... works fine for me, no need to be taking SD cards in or out
Old 04-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #160
Resipsa

Quote:
yah thats what I've been talking about with mobileme and the idisk storage..... works fine for me, no need to be taking SD cards in or out
Mobileme is good, I just don't likethe price. $99 per year is steep for the amount of storage they give you Jim. There are other, cheaper options out there like dropbox.

Closed Thread