Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-15-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice
Default Too much stress smokes?

Lately I've been under a tremendous amount of stress. Most work related but what work doesn't stress you out? But this is different. I'm unsettled and cannot relax. Cigars used to allow me to unwind and decompress. Lately, it has not been working. I'm finding that they've been unenjoyable as of late. Nothing tastes good and I end up laying down otherwise good sticks because I just don't dig the flavor anymore. It's obviously me since they all can't be bad. I remember my recently deceased grandmother saying that no food tastes good when you're upset.

My question is, has anyone else found themselves walking away from cigars for awhile because they can't enjoy them anymore? It is really difficult to explain what it is that's going on with my taste.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Drez
The Warden

First Name: Frank
Trading: (35)
Cohiba MarineCorps (Retired)
Drez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of lightDrez is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Too much stress smokes?

i believe a break from smoking might be good for you. take a little time for yourself and worry about dealing with the stress. remember the cigars arent going anywhere.

best of luck to you brother. i hope everything is ok.

They aren't going to multiply....burn that b!tch!
Drez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Frank is wise, take a week or two off from smoking and see if that helps you start enjoying your smokes again.

I hope all is well with you bro.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
alwayslit
Welcome to the madness

First Name: Jim
Trading: (14)
RA
alwayslit is on a distinguished road

Taking a few weeks off with help alot. Hope things get better soon.
alwayslit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Ogre
****CENSORED****

First Name: Larry
Trading: (46)
Montecristo
Ogre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant futureOgre has a brilliant future

I hate to say it, but I agree with Frank. Just take a little break and see what happens. Good luck bro.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #6
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

What you are experiencing is not uncommon or unusual.
Your taste for cigars and the enjoyment will return.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

+1 to everything said above.

Instead of a cigar, try relaxing with a comfy chair, your favorite relaxing music and a glass of wine/scotch/beer whatever. Take a moment to just relax and enjoy the subtly of the drink, the nuances of the music.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
Sherlockholms

I have to agree with all of the above. Take a short break from the cigars, And once you source of stress dies down come back to them. You can be surprised at how much difference a week or two can make. I hope your situation gets better Mitch
Old 09-15-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Zeuceone
You're next

First Name: G
Trading: (16)
LGC
Zeuceone has disabled reputation

I think I'm having the same problem. Work has been stressing me out a lot lately. I only smoke on the weekend and that's usually 2-3 times. I will smoke about 2/3 of a stick and it will start tasting bad to me. I have also noticed that I'm smoking a bit faster now and could possibly add to the problem.
Zeuceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:17 PM   #10
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Sometimes a break is just what the doctor ordered. Stay away until you find yourself craving a cigar...not for the habit, or the nicotine, or what you hope it will bring...but craving one for the flavor.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:33 PM   #11
SvilleKid
Yes I am a Pirate

Trading: (52)
SvilleKid has disabled reputation

Clayton, Stress is a definite problem in enjoyment activities! No doubt about it! Hopefully your upcoming job interview will result in a change that will reduce or eliminate those stresses! I made myself slow down on the number I smoke, and I also gave up even lighting a cigar if I know I will not have the time and environment to relax while I'm smoking. As a result, I probably smoke at least half as much as I used to, but I do enjoy it much more when I do get to smoke a stick! Your current situation may be such that you just cannot "un-stress". If so, then taking a few weeks off from smoking will keep you from wasting a lot of your cigars!

For some reason, the movie scene in Trial and Error where Jeff Daniels and Charlize Theron are shooting old commodes comes to mind as a possible stress relief method. I've got the shotgun and shells, if you can find the toilets to blast!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Tbagley
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
Tbagley is on a distinguished road

Besides putting the cigars away for a while, you might want to try adding an exercise program to your activities or changing the up the one you are alreadying doing.

I find that exercise really helps cut into my stress levels.
Tbagley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #13
BigCat
My back is now unwatched.

First Name: Colin
Trading: (5)
BigCat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Sometimes a break is just what the doctor ordered. Stay away until you find yourself craving a cigar...not for the habit, or the nicotine, or what you hope it will bring...but craving one for the flavor.
Agreed. Don't have a cigar to relieve stress - have one because you want to have a cigar. You'll enjoy it then. Hang in there.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
N2 GOLD
MIND OVER MATTER...

First Name: RICO
Trading: (1)
SCdlH
N2 GOLD will become famous soon enoughN2 GOLD will become famous soon enough

I agree with everyone take some time off. Clear your mind & palate that way you can start fresh again...
Old 09-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #15
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmitch View Post
I remember my recently deceased grandmother saying that no food tastes good when you're upset.
True that for me, too. Some people gorge when upset/stressed, I do the opposite. How everything pans out.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #16
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

When I'm not enjoying smoking, or it's too much trouble to find time or a place to smoke, I just don't smoke. It can sometimes be months. Nobody has ever told me there was a problem with that.
Despite not smoking during those times, I still enjoy the hobby. I keep up on the cigars, stay in touch with the guys here, and wait for an opportunity where I might enjoy a smoke.
I think about it like other things I enjoy doing. I haven't been golfing but one time this year. It doesn't mean I don't like golfing anymore. If I don't feel like going when the next opportunity arises, it still doesn't mean I don't like it anymore or I won't return to it.
I'm not very "black or white" about anything. I try to leave all the fun stuff wide open in case I want to enjoy it later. I've watched lots of guys join the brotherhood and one day say "gee, I haven't smoked in two weeks, I don't like it anymore", then they sell all their stuff, and regret it just months later. I try not to be that impulsive about ruling out anything that may bring joy to short life.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:58 PM   #17
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Trading: (4)
Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

I've been in your shoes before. My cigar time is my relaxation time. I smoke when I can sit back, feel the breeze, have a drink if wanted etc.

Lately I have been soooooo busy that I just havent had time to relax and it sux. I didn't have a cigar for almost 3 weeks. Only due to the fact that I wont smoke unless I can relax. The cigar only aids to the relaxation whereas your body has to make the relaxation happen.

Don't sweat. When your body allows you to relax as a whole then grab a cigar and see how it smokes. Even if you have to take some time off. Trust me, it wasn't easy to avoid cigars but I did it for the reasons you listed above. You will appreciate it more when you do.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #18
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

/ \
||
What they've said...
Old 09-16-2011, 02:38 PM   #19
cmitch
Heads up get down

First Name: Clayton
Trading: (25)
Montecristo
cmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nicecmitch is just really nice

I may have to walk away from more than just cigars. I just had a Dr. Pepper today, my favorite soda and it even tasted BITTER. My nerves are definitely shot and chewing on the company jock strap doesn't help.

Thanks for the advice. I'll lay off until Tuesday (steak night with the guys) and then just go home instead of the cigar shop. My wife has an event show for her catering and wedding business this weekend. Maybe when we get this behind us and I get my interview finalized and completed, things will start looking up. Which reminds me. I must run brochures real quick on the digital color machine.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #20
Newbie_nick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Nick
Trading: (13)
Bolivar
Newbie_nick will become famous soon enough

I wish you the best with whatever is stressing you right now. Stress can do weird things to you, mentally and physically, and you just need to get past this period. Just like everybody said, cigar smoking should be relaxing, and if you're not finding it there, you might just want to back away for a while. Cigars and all of us CA nuts will be here when you return.

Best of luck to you!
Newbie_nick is offline   Reply With Quote