Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 04-10-2009, 07:00 AM   #21
marge796
It Just Doesn’t Matter!!!

First Name: Chris
Trading: (28)
Cuaba Navy (Served With Honor)
marge796 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP! Need Vacation Ideas

Just go too Lake EDUN for a long week end!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:06 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
call me paranoid, but there's a million places I'd go before Mexico at this time.
I'd call you paranoid...

I would not vacation in a border town of Mexico. Violence is happening all over the world. Plenty of people are dying in Jamaica and DR too. Isn't there still civil war in Kingstown? The vacation areas of Mexico are pretty insolar to drug gang violence of current.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM   #23
BeerAdvocate
BeerHunter

First Name: Travis
Trading: (45)
VR
BeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura aboutBeerAdvocate has a spectacular aura about

I think most of the Resorts in Mexico and pretty much closed off and safe from the violence. Most of it is near the border.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:32 AM   #24
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Trading: (2)
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I'd call you paranoid...

I would not vacation in a border town of Mexico. Violence is happening all over the world. Plenty of people are dying in Jamaica and DR too. Isn't there still civil war in Kingstown? The vacation areas of Mexico are pretty insolar to drug gang violence of current.
Just my opinion, but it's still wise to be cautious I think. My wife and I made a mistake and went a few weeks ago with this exact line of thinking. We were then "asked" for a "secret gift" of 200 bucks by Mexican emmigration as soon as we stepped off the plane in Cancun. Another member of our party was shook down for an additional 60 bucks by a police officer after stopping their taxi for speeding. In both instances we were threatened. My wife and I with not being able to poceed on our trip together, and our friend with jail if he didn't pay up right there on the side of the road.

Bottom line, It's not Disneyland and shouldn't be looked at as such.

When we talked to American emmigration on our way back into the states we we're strongly advised on how dangerous it should be looked upon at this time to travel to Mexico. Even just to the resort locations.

Corruption can take many forms other than violance my friend. It's one thing to be pick pocketed by some street rat and quite another when it's the authorities doing the crime themselves. If/When the drug cartels decide to push on the resort districts I wouldn't have any trust in the local authorities to save my @ss after the experience we just went through.

A life lesson learned in my book.

** Sorry for the long winded post. I guess it's still fresh under my skin.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:29 AM   #25
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I'd call you paranoid...

Jamaica was a shithole last time I was there and that was far away from Kingston in Negril. Sure, a girl was taken in Aruba and St Thomas and St Kitts prolly have there share of problems, but I'd go there over Mexico any day. Personal preference I guess, but after watching a program about the couple from California who have been travelling into Mexico for 25 years and recently got robbed and gunpoint by bandits posing as police and beaten, and the corruption as well as the outlaws outgunning the military, it doesn't seem to be very safe right now and seems to be getting worse in a hurry.

My thoughts have changed drastically since I had kids, and back when I was single and more adventurous, I took a trip to Medellin Colombia with some friends due to the overwhelming beauty of the place and women there. I almost missed my connection in Miami as I was held up nearly an hour explaining to Customs why I was in Medellin.

That was historically one of the most dangerous places you could go and I still have a picture from my trip to Pablo Escobar's grave. Mango's the largest disco in South America has bomb sniffing dogs outside the entrance. 10 years ago, that seemed cool, but I wasn't travelling with my wife looking to soak up sun and drink beer.

Hopped a flight from Santo Domingo 7 years ago with 2 friends to Havana and went up to Holguin as well with complete disregard to fines and all that other crap as well. Wouldn't do that again with a wife and kids, but thank God I decided to go.

Guess that makes me a hipocrite, but I don't really give a rat's ass and won't be doing anything similar with a wife or kids with me.

I'm sure Cancun is great and there's probably all kinds of travel deals right now....

Last edited by floydpink; 04-10-2009 at 10:39 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote