Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 PM   #41
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocLogic77 View Post
I love the basement for storage. Now, if your basement smells like musty feet...maybe not.
Have you been in my basement, Shawn?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:56 PM   #42
GreekGodX
Opa!!

First Name: Christos
Trading: (82)
Montecristo
GreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of lightGreekGodX is a glorious beacon of light

Update bought a cooler 70qt cooler from Costco today for $39.99 and got about 10 cigar boxes from the B&M too. Well on my way. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #43
Chingo

Here's two very basic questions I'm surprised hasn't been asked in this thread:

-Cutters. Does using a basic guillotine cutter vs. a more expensive scissor-type cutter make any noticeable difference?

-Lighters. Is there anything horrible about regular Bic lighters that would warrant a $50+ jet flame lighter?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #44
AllOGistics

I've never noticed a huge difference between cutter types when used properly. I do have a preference sometimes depending on size and/or shape of the cigar. This is just personal preference. Someone may have more in depth knowledge in regards to specific cutters.

There is a difference when using a Bic vs a butane lighter. The Bic-style can impart flavors to the tobacco. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you can get a Ronson Jetlight for about $3 at Walmart. They are a decent lighter and the price is right.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:41 PM   #45
GKitty
JAFO

First Name: Crystal
Trading: (8)
HdM
GKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really niceGKitty is just really nice

+1 on the Ronsons
Old 04-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #46
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
-Lighters. Is there anything horrible about regular Bic lighters that would warrant a $50+ jet flame lighter?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllOGistics View Post
There is a difference when using a Bic vs a butane lighter. The Bic-style can impart flavors to the tobacco. If you are looking for a cheaper alternative, you can get a Ronson Jetlight for about $3 at Walmart. They are a decent lighter and the price is right.
Good call, Greg...no need to spend $50 if you don't want to, but definitely keep the Bic away from the cigars.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 04-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #47
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingo View Post
Here's two very basic questions I'm surprised hasn't been asked in this thread:

-Cutters. Does using a basic guillotine cutter vs. a more expensive scissor-type cutter make any noticeable difference?

Thanks!
A lot of what cutter & lighter to use does boil down to personal preference. A couple of things to compare when trying to decide might help though.

Cutters:
The "action" is a huge personal choice. Double guillotine, single guillotine, punch, scissors, hybrid scissors (ie Xikar, SAK, Revoluccion scissors, etc...)

You mention the cheap plastic cutters. I would not recommend the single bladed guillotine cutters as they tend to crush the cigar rather than cut it. Some of the "cheap" double guillotine cutters work well for a short period of time but due to the cheap blade, they dull & break quickly.

I use a variety of cutters depending on the cigar and just to keep it interesting (i use a punch for smaller ring gauges and scissors & double guillotines for larger ring gauges but also use my finger nail "cuban style" in a pinch)

These are the typical top choices for a quality cutter are:
Palio (double guillotine w/ life time warranty)
Xikar (hybrid scissors w/ life time warranty)
Cuban Crafters scissors (standard scissors w/ life time warranty)
Wenger SAk w/ cigar cutter (hybrid scissors, 5 year warranty?)
Xikar Punch (punch cutter w/ life time warranty)

Lighters are all over the place and style of the body and flame type (torch, soft flame butane, matches, wind proof, etc...) play the biggest part in choosing.

Be careful in whatever flame you choose that it doesn't contain sulfur that will impart a horrible flavor in your cigar (typical w/ cheap lighters and most matches - get sulfur free matches).

For fun, try a cedar splint. It's about the most "pure" way to light a cigar, plus it's not typical which makes it fun.

These are the typical top choices for a quality cutter are:
Blazer PB-207 (large tank and very reliable)
Xikar (various flame choices all w/ life time warranty)
Solo Trek (dual flame w/ life time warranty even 50% of MSRP against theft or loss)
ST Dupont X-tend
Evertech (soft flame and torch butane flames in one)
Bugatti 1 (this is about the nicest lighter that I've ever used)
Porsche Designs
Nibo dual flames (cheap throw aways but tend to last a long time and you don't care if you lose them)
Sulfur free matches

Just some of what I've experienced over the past 16+ years of smoking cigars. Part of the "fun" of the hobby to me is learning this stuff along the way so try all the styles out to see what you like the most.

I hope this helps

~Mark
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:23 PM   #48
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

how cold is too cold for cigars? i just picked up a dual zone haier cooler and the top goes as high as 54 degrees and the lower half runs as high as 65 degrees. Is the 54 degrees too cold for the sticks?
bonjing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #49
GROSSR

Been smoking for years, but never had a humidor. I am getting one next week, used, read about seasoning, humi beads and the like.

My question is about the humidor, it is 8 x 9 x 16, it has shelves in it, can I stack different types of cigars on top of each other, or should the same cigars stay on top of each other? If I have to seperate them what could one use to keep them apart?

thanks

rich
Old 08-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #50
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Congrats on pulling the trigger on your first humi!! You can stack different types of cigars together. I've done so for years in my desktops and have never noticed any difference in how the cigars taste..
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:07 AM   #51
N2Advnture
www.Cigarmony.com

Trading: (43)
Partagas
N2Advnture has a spectacular aura aboutN2Advnture has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla695 View Post
Congrats on pulling the trigger on your first humi!! You can stack different types of cigars together. I've done so for years in my desktops and have never noticed any difference in how the cigars taste..
The only thing that I would add is to keep flavored cigars in a separate humidor
N2Advnture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #52
GROSSR

Default Confused about the beads

I purchased 70% beads. Now I am reading you experienced guys have 65% beads, and then I see 60% beads.

I know this has to do something with a personal preference and I am sure the 70% is ok. Why would one want 60% vs 65% vs 70%.

I certainly understand the concept of RH, and the beads on ebay are cheap. So I am not concerned about 5.00 for beads.

What are your thoughts on these different RH beads.

Thanks again

Rich
Old 08-22-2009, 01:57 PM   #53
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Personal taste is ultimately the deciding factor, Rich.

I prefer my smokes around 63%. No need to drybox, they burn well and taste great.

Some people think that Cuban cigars smoke better at 65% or so, and that non-Cuban cigars are better around 70%. The vast majority of cigars in my humdior are CCs, but I still find 70% too "wet" for non-Cubans. I tend to have burn issues with cigars that are that wet.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:41 PM   #54
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

To add to what Tom said: many of the members here use beads from Cigarmony, Heartfelt, or shilala. Even a small humi can represent a substantial investment in smokes. I'd prefer to spend a little more and know that my sticks will be safe.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:05 PM   #55
drunkentester
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (0)
drunkentester is on a distinguished road

I have a total noob question regarding RH in a humidor. It seems after much research, most forum members and premium cigar fans seems to favor 65% humidity. While I know whether 65% or 70% is a topic of debate amongst the consumers, it seems like the standard cigar industry stance is always recommending 70% (noticed this while browsing different cigar brands websites).

My question is: Why is there such a discrepancy between what the cigar manufacturers recommend and what the enthusiasts recommend?

Thanks,

Dennis
drunkentester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #56
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Dennis....most of the manufacturers are makers of Non-Cuban cigars, and even many enthusiasts prefer non-Cubans closer to 70%.

I would take the word of those that have been collecting, storing and smoking cigars out of love of the leaf, not the love of profit. The majority of enthusiasts I know (myself included) like their cigars at 65% or even lower (62-63% myself). Less burn issues, better aging, better draw....of course this is all based on personal experiences, so it is subjective.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:29 PM   #57
drunkentester
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dennis
Trading: (0)
drunkentester is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick reply Icehog. In my experience, I also find that listening to the enthusiasts (especially when most take the same stance) is the way to go, no matter what the manufacturers recommend. It just seemed odd to me that none of the major manufacturers seem to even offer up 65% RH as an option to their consumers (except for people who have a financial stake at selling RH products, like Boveda and others).

I've bought some 65% RH beads from Heartfelt and haven't had any problems with the sticks in my humi.

Thanks!

--Dennis
drunkentester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #58
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkentester View Post
Thanks for the quick reply Icehog. In my experience, I also find that listening to the enthusiasts (especially when most take the same stance) is the way to go, no matter what the manufacturers recommend. It just seemed odd to me that none of the major manufacturers seem to even offer up 65% RH as an option to their consumers (except for people who have a financial stake at selling RH products, like Boveda and others).

I've bought some 65% RH beads from Heartfelt and haven't had any problems with the sticks in my humi.

Thanks!

--Dennis
I agree with you 100% Dennis...good luck with the humidor, and hope you stick around, it's a great community here.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:46 PM   #59
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I have this box I bought on Ebay, its big enough for the short term while my bigger one is being made, and it seems to keep ok RH, but one corner of the lid does not sit totally flush, I can feel a slight movement when I push down on the corner, is there a way to remedy this without major work? Like a weather-seal type of material or some other DIY stuff?

Here is the box opened and closed:

And...

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #60
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

If the box is holding a constant humidity, then it may not be necessary to do any additional sealing. You can use short pieces of masking tape to tighten the gap.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote