Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
Trading: (20)
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all
Default Gran Habano Corojo #5 mini review

I don't normally set out to review Cigars, and tonight started no different, but I decided to snap a few pics along the way and here we are.

I picked up two of these in a goodie bag. Took an hour off to watch the Red Sox game, so I sad down outside with a Gran Habano #5. Short and squat, looks like its aprox. 4.5x54. Odly enough, the two I had have different bands on them, but the same name and otherwise appear to be the same stick. I smoked the one with the larger band.

I didn't have my cutter handy, so I used the punch residing on my keychain. No draw problems, drew even and well.

1st 1/3. Lit up easily, drew well. SPICY, toasty, earthy. No burn problems despite a light wind. medium to full bodied, but there's a flavor I can't put my finger on.......

2nd 1/3 (oops, no pic)... The spicyness is still here, and all other flavors have been replaced by that mystery flavor, which has finally become readily identifiable. WET LEAVES, and not in a good way. It fascinates me for a few minutes while I allow the full flavor profile to seep in, but there's no mistaking it, it tastes like someone stuffed something wet and non-tobacco in there.

final 1/3... Still spicy, but getting a bit harsh. The wet leaves flavor continues to grow worse. The flavor of the smoke is so bad that the guy sitting next to me (who practically chain smokes Parodi gas station cigars) is reeling away anytime the wind shifts to blow smoke his way. Three or four times I caught him coughing when the smoke hit him. Finally I can take no more and toss it aside.

Other reviews seem to have favorable things to say about these, so maybe one day I'll give the other one a shot....

Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Gran Habano Corojo #5 mini review

You nubbed a bad one for the team, Francis....thanks for the review.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #3
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Forgot to add, construction itself was excellent, it burned strait and clean the whole time. No tunneling, no canoeing, nothing. Had to relight once when I ran inside too long, but otherwise perfect burn.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:40 AM   #4
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 AM   #5
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

I never had a Gran Habano I liked. Good review Francis.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 AM   #6
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Francis. You will have to review the other one now and compare.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #7
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review Francis.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:22 AM   #8
Bruzee
Have My Own Room

First Name: D
Trading: (30)
Partagas
Bruzee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

Thanks for the review Francis.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
Thanks for the review Francis. You will have to review the other one now and compare.
Give him some time to get the crappy taste of the first one out of his mind, Ryan!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 08:04 PM   #10
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Give him some time to get the crappy taste of the first one out of his mind, Ryan!
I could still taste the thing at 3pm today, after mouthwash last night and mints.....
Old 04-24-2010, 09:37 PM   #11
jechelman
Smokin' Longhorn

Trading: (5)
jechelman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post

Swore off Gran Habanos a few years ago.
jechelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:40 AM   #12
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
bad idea Tom. Francis already has a crappy taste in his mouth, so he should smoke the second one now. If he waits till he has a clean palate he will ruin that again.