Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-26-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
rxme

Exclamation RP 1990 Problem?

So me and my friend were smoking Rocky Patel 1990's the other day and we had both of them start unraveling about half way through the wrapper seemed extremely thin. now lets just get this out of the way, We did not lit them up from the cap end it was lit from the foot. Is this a common problem, it happened twice right in front of me.....
Old 03-26-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: RP 1990 Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxme View Post
So me and my friend were smoking Rocky Patel 1990's the other day and we had both of them start unraveling about half way through the wrapper seemed extremely thin. now lets just get this out of the way, We did not lit them up from the cap end it was lit from the foot. Is this a common problem, it happened twice right in front of me.....
Probably just too dry.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

That's odd, what RH/temp were they stored at?
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #4
rxme

72 degrees F and 70% +-2 humidity and the have been in there for a month at that. I have a digital humidity gauge and temp to measure with
Old 03-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

I've smoked the RP 1990's, the RP 1992's and both of the vintage second versions. I've never had a problem with this. Maybe the guy rolling them that day was hung over? Maybe you got a little overzealous with the cutter? Clip it past the shoulder and you're asking for trouble...

Randy
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa071 View Post
I've smoked the RP 1990's, the RP 1992's and both of the vintage second versions. I've never had a problem with this. Maybe the guy rolling them that day was hung over? Maybe you got a little overzealous with the cutter? Clip it past the shoulder and you're asking for trouble...

Randy

Make sure not to clip to much.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:31 PM   #7
rxme

Im aware not to cut past the shoulder and it wasn't even at that one was punched which would be a little odd if that happend past the shoulder.
I guess more of what I am wondering if a few boxes left rp being rolled poorly.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
smokin5
Have My Own Room

Trading: (69)
Bolivar
smokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nicesmokin5 is just really nice

I've had it happen a few (not many) times.
I chalk it up to the very dry air here in AZ.
Storage humidity doesn't matter much
when the outside RH is in the low 20's.

Was it a fairly dry day when you lit up?
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 PM   #9
rxme

It was raining. Im thinking it just might be a fluke that these two cigars did that. I got them to try the decade egde and 1990 the are all good cigars but if the construction on the 1990 is so poor I may be temped to not buy them again. I have another I'll take pictures and repost the tragedy.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
rxme

@ bill86 your pic is that from a belgin beer like demonte or modite?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
alexa071
Living the High Life

First Name: Randy
Trading: (0)
RyJ
alexa071 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post

Heh... yah.. stupid, silly me. There I go tryin' to help and all.
alexa071 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:46 PM   #12
rxme

I'm not trying to be rude ;however, every time I mention this issue somebody says you shouldnt have cut so much even though i've said there was a punched used on one. I didnt use the cutted on that one. So please be a smart ass to someone else.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:55 PM   #13
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

If you don't want those type of responses you should mention how it was cut etc. in your initial post. Guys are just trying to help. Have you calibrated your hygrometer recently? Just because its digital doesn't necessarily mean its accurate.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:05 PM   #14
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
I'm not trying to be rude ;however, every time I mention this issue somebody says you shouldnt have cut so much even though i've said there was a punched used on one. I didnt use the cutted on that one. So please be a smart ass to someone else.
Mike,
No one is trying to be rude or a smart ass. However, your testy reply seems to be. I've re-read the entire thread and folks are trying to help you out. Isn't that what you wanted when you started this thread?
Old 03-27-2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Stick
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (14)
SP
Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
@ bill86 your pic is that from a belgin beer like demonte or modite?
It's Stone Brewing's logo.
Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 08:55 PM   #16
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Still some unanswered questions.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:45 AM   #17
poker
1:11

First Name: Kelly
Trading: (7)
Cohiba
poker has disabled reputation

Quote:
Actually, nobody said "You should'nt have.." (implying that in fact that you did)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa071 View Post
... Maybe you got a little overzealous with the cutter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
All anybody here did was try to offer some possible solutions to your dilemma as to why based on their experience with information that you initially provided.

An excerpt from our rule guidelines:
Quote:
One thing we DO request of every member is to be courteous towards everyone here. Especially to the new members. Remember, we were all new to cigars at one time or another so cut the new guys some slack and guide them gently to understanding the error of their ways if they make a mistake.
That particular door swings both ways.

Cigar Asylum: A cigar board birthed without agendas, without profiting, and without advertisements. Amor puro

Character is what you do when no one is watching
poker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #18
tx_tuff

Maybe the problem was you and your friend was smoking RPs LOL Hey somebody had to say it.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #19
qsalinas
Like a-some-BoooooooDeee

First Name: Enrique
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
qsalinas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
Maybe the problem was you and your friend was smoking RPs LOL Hey somebody had to say it.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:18 PM   #20
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Wait, wait, sure, Alexa got a little chippy with his statement, (and middle finger salute) but first of all, you failed to STATE
up front that you did not incorrectly cut the cigars, as one might think you would in a situation where you say that basically
'Everybody told me that'. Unless you are talking about JUST HERE and you haven't posted this elsewhere. I'd think if people
at other forums already told you that, you might have said that up front to ensure you didn't get more of the same. But calling
people a smart-a$$ while you are still in single digit posts in the best cigar forum on the internet is DUMB. You won't get
hounded out of town like in some of the monkey-poo forums, but it's not a very good start here. Why don't you rewind that
a little bit and try again. I mean unless you just don't want to be here, anyway. And what's with thee lack of commas and
periods...we don't charge you extra for that, you can use any characters you wish here at CA.

As for the cigars, I remember when Rocky cared more about cigars than money, that was back in the Indian Tabac days.
RP 1990 commemorates the last year that Rocky cared about his cigars more than money, so that's gonna happen now and again.

Last edited by OLS; 03-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote