Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-23-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

First Name: Michael
Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road
Default Review: Padrón Serie 1964 40th Anniversary Maduro

I originally posted this review on another site that I'm affilitated with, but thought I'd share it here as well. I'd like some feedback on what you think about the review too.

I wish I had taken more pics while smoking it, but hindsight is always 20/20.

So here's the review I had posted out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Smoke Date: 6/27/09

Cigar Specs:

Length: 6.0
Ring Gauge: 54

Wrapper: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Body: Medium - Full
Strength: Medium
Price: $25.00

Scott is officially a married man! Congratulations! I don’t think he could have done it without me though, as I had to hold his hand through it all as his Best Man. You know the drill, you gotta do everything for the Groom and keep them in line and from running away. Haha. Well, for all of my hard work, Scott picked me up a great Best Man’s gift – the Padrón Serie 1964 40th Anniversary Maduro.

So of course, at the wedding afterparty, it was only fitting that I light this bad boy up and see why Cigar Aficionado made the Padrón 40th the “Cigar of the Year” for 2004. Most of our usual group met up over at David’s house and decided to have a relaxing smoke in the pool.

Pre-Light:
Surprisingly enough, this cigar has a sweet smell with hints of chocolate and coffee. The construction seems great, and as with most box pressed cigars, the cigar looks nice and tight. One side has a place I am a little worried about, but perhaps that is just a minor cosmetic blemish. Unfortunately I didn’t think to take pictures of it, so I can’t show you what I mean. The torpedo end cut nicely in my Perfecto Cutter, even though I had to cut twice to get it as open as I wanted. It might still need another cut, but I’d rather it be a bit tight than too loose. The pre-light draw is smooth and the chocolate taste is a lot stronger here. When I pulled away the cigar from my mouth to light it there was a bit of oil on my lips that was a nice surprise!

The cigar lit very easily and the burn was perfect! The taste however threw me for a loop. There were several levels of complexity right off the bat that I couldn’t identify. The chocolate was there, there was coffee, there was earthiness and spice. Lots of spice. Maybe enough to be a bit harsh. But after about 5 minutes of pushing through that odd beginning, everything smoothed out.

1/3:
During the first third of the cigar, the coffee flavor that I tasted initially really takes the forefront with slight hints of chocolate. The ash is very firm and doesn’t seem to have any problems holding together. The burn has been pretty razor sharp throughout this third.

2/3:
The coffee has died down but the chocolate has remained, and been joined by a nice spice. The ash is still nice and firm, but for fear of the ash dropping in the pool, I’ve gotta let it go, so no testing the ash length on this review. The draw is semi tight, as I figured it would be based on my initial cut but as I said, I didn’t want to get it too loose. This cigar is still a very pleasant smoke none-the-less.

3/3:
The cigar has become really smooth and leathery now with a subtle bit of coffee re-entering the smoke. The spice is completely gone but as with the rest of the cigar, the chocolate has remained. This has been a very pleasant smoke and I wish it didn’t have to end, but as we all know, cigars only can burn for so long without setting your fingers on fire =)

Overall Impression:
I was very pleased with this smoke! It is one of the best Padróns I’ve smoked to date and I will definitely have to pick up a few more to put in the humidor. One thing that I didn’t mention at all since my pre-light draws was the oil! The oil that I tasted on my lips at the beginning of the cigar is still here and still lives on strong. Very enjoyable!

- Michael

Overall Geek Rating – 4.5 / 5 Stars
Old 07-23-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
Steelergar

Default Re: Review: Padrón Serie 1964 40th Anniversary Ma

This is a 1926 then? Is the 40th anniversary a special blend of it or the regular line
Old 07-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #3
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Very nice review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
GHC_Hambone

Looks tasty. Thanks for the review!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 AM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
This is a 1926 then? Is the 40th anniversary a special blend of it or the regular line
Yes, it is in the serie 1926 line. Same blend as the rest of the line just a box pressed torp.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Steelergar

I love padron, they know how to keep it simple and make quality smokes. no gimmicks with these guys.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:30 PM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelergar View Post
I love padron, they know how to keep it simple and make quality smokes. no gimmicks with these guys.
Me too. I'm a Padron Whore and I dont care who knows it!
Old 07-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
Aldebaran

I've never smoked a Padron but I respect the company and now I want to try one even more thanks to this.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
Giant & 49er Fan
Formerly known as RPguy

First Name: Jaime
Trading: (35)
Bolivar
Giant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura aboutGiant & 49er Fan has a spectacular aura about

Nice review. That 40th looks a lot better than the recent ones I've seen lately. The 40th/80th's have been very toothy and inconsistent in shape and color.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #10
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice review...sitting on one of these. And after reading your review, looks like it might be time to enjoy this stick.
kelmac07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #11
Steelergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPguy View Post
Nice review. That 40th looks a lot better than the recent ones I've seen lately. The 40th/80th's have been very toothy and inconsistent in shape and color.
I noticed the same thing last week at my b@m. hopefully theirs no consistency issues, which is usually not a problem with them.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Steelergar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
I've never smoked a Padron but I respect the company and now I want to try one even more thanks to this.
smoke one immediately, I recommend the 1964 principe. just have a full stomach for padrons eventhough the principe is a small vitola.
Old 07-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #13
dubnick

Thanks for the nice review.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
ucla695
Neither here, nor there

Trading: (5)
Montecristo
ucla695 has disabled reputation

Very nice review. I'm glad I still have a couple in one of my desktops. I'll have to smoke one soon. Thanks!
ucla695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #15
mcmoyer
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (25)
Navy (Served With Honor)
mcmoyer is on a distinguished road

Very nice indeed...thanks for the review!!

Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 AM   #16
Taboo Cigars
www.TabooCigars.com

Trading: (9)
Bolivar Navy (Served With Honor)
Taboo Cigars has a spectacular aura aboutTaboo Cigars has a spectacular aura about

Nice review! One of my favorite Padrons.
R
Old 07-24-2009, 07:57 AM   #17
GoldnGT
Hibbidy Jibbidy

Trading: (2)
PL
GoldnGT is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the compliments guys. I have a few more reviews I may post up that I've done, and probally be posting some other new ones here as well. I'll just remember on the newer ones to make sure to get a few more pics =)

This was definately one of my favorite cigars that I have smoked.