Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-28-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Curly Head Deluxe...

Any of you guys AF Curly Head smokers? Looking for a tasty cheap box and these have some good reviews. Thoughts?
Old 08-28-2016, 09:15 AM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Curly Head Deluxe...

It has been many years since I had one, but they weren't bad when I smoked them.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:51 AM   #3
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
It has been many years since I had one, but they weren't bad when I smoked them.
This is my recollection also, not bad, but not good either. Really one-dimensional and kind of boring. Was just kind of "there".

To be honest with you though Mike, if it were me, at $100 for a box of 40 AF Curly Heads, I'd shell out the 30-cents more per cigar to get a a box of 25 JR Ultimates Petite Coronas or Petite Cetros for $70. Long filler, choice of wrappers, just a better cigar IMO all the way around. Not quite as big a cigar, but being long filler, it'll burn just as long or longer. If I wanted short and disposable, JR Habanitos @ $35 for a box of 24 can't be beat.

Last edited by T.G; 08-28-2016 at 09:57 AM.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:14 AM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Awwh crap.... I just noticed you asked about Curly Head Deluxe, which is the long filler cheapie from Fuente.

What I recall is that they were certainly better than the short fill Curly Heads, kind of had a bit of that "Fuente flavor", certainly no 858 or "green band" (Cuban Corona, Chateau, Exquisito, etc) Fuente though. In the end though, I was disappointed because for 2/3 the cost of the 858 or "green band", they were less than half the cigar. There was a huge difference between those two levels.

So, for the money, I'd still go with the JR Ultimates, or step up to the other Fuentes. I guess it's all about what you like, I don't smoke just to smoke, I'm after flavor and if I wanted a bargain, the Exquisitos at $2/stick or the Ultimates Habanitos at $1.40/cigar are both insane little flavor bombs.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 10:21 AM   #5
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

I'll take a look Adam, thanks. Looking for a good fishing smoke that still tastes good.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Not a bad "dog walking" smoke. There are better, but I have enjoyed a few of these during our 3 mile nightly strolls to check the pee-mail.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:47 PM   #7
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Exquisitos are a _much_ better choice imho--and they will last long enough for a dog walk.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Used to smoke a lot of the CHD maduros years ago. They were cheap and they fit the bill for being tossed around in a boat or fighting the steering wheel on a lawnmower. I liked the flavor of them. Deep in my brain I just knew they were clippings from Opus X and Fuente Hemingways. I just knew it.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:04 AM   #9
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjirons69 View Post
Used to smoke a lot of the CHD maduros years ago. They were cheap and they fit the bill for being tossed around in a boat or fighting the steering wheel on a lawnmower. I liked the flavor of them. Deep in my brain I just knew they were clippings from Opus X and Fuente Hemingways. I just knew it.
Old 09-28-2016, 09:09 PM   #10
Zeavran1
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Rich
Zeavran1 is on a distinguished road

CHD was the first cigar I ever bought. Had good flavor when I was a new smoker. Probably a great yardwork smoke for me now. Maybe I'll pick one up for old times sake.
Zeavran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:20 AM   #11
bmayyy
Just in from the Storm

bmayyy is on a distinguished road

Mediocre smoke at best, I think it will be a fine fishing smoke.
bmayyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Never Liked The Curly Heads, Even When I Just Started Smoking Cigars & Didn't Know Any Better!. I Do Like The JR Ultimates, Though. IMO, I Would Buy Them, Or Better, Still, Stay With The Real Thing, "Fuentes"! Why Smoke A "Cheap Stick" If It Doesn't Taste Good???
longknocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:16 PM   #13
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

For a regular, who cares if I don't finish it, they are some of my favorites. A step up from the regular curly heads, which I also don't mind.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote