Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 12-23-2008, 09:58 PM   #1
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough
Default Yankees Shell Out Again

Well baseball has officially hit rock bottom. The Yankees just paid $180 million dollars for Mark Texiera. I am getting sick and tired of the Yankees throwing all this money at guys when the suddenly are struggling to compete. How about doing what just about every other team does and develop your farm system? The money the spent on this off season would probably buy a small country. I am not jealous over this, as I think hes not worth the money or number of years, just agrivated at how badly baseball economics has gotten. Rant over. Go Red Sox
Old 12-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Yankees Shell Out Again

You know what'll be hilarious? When they end up not making the playoffs again this year

Oh wait..
Old 12-23-2008, 11:19 PM   #3
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

The Yankees aren't the only team to ruin baseball economics. The Red Sox and every other big market team are just as culpable. The Yankees get more attention because they spend the most money. Why? Because they have the most money. Like any business (which is what professional sports have become), The New York Yankees are investing in what they believe will win them a championship. Will it? Probably not. But everybody bags on the Yankees simply because they have the most money to spend.

Every other team develops their farm system? What a load of bull crap.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
Ace$nyper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoon View Post
The Yankees aren't the only team to ruin baseball economics. The Red Sox and every other big market team are just as culpable. The Yankees get more attention because they spend the most money. Why? Because they have the most money. Like any business (which is what professional sports have become), The New York Yankees are investing in what they believe will win them a championship. Will it? Probably not. But everybody bags on the Yankees simply because they have the most money to spend.

Well said.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #5
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by white_s2k View Post
You know what'll be hilarious? When they end up not making the playoffs again this year

Oh wait..
I can't wait... that was the single best part of the whole season.

Of course any year the Red sox don't make it is just as good!
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
Ragin Cajun
Staff Sergeant of Marines

First Name: Nick
Trading: (3)
Montecristo MarineCorps (Active)
Ragin Cajun is on a distinguished road

If ya got the money and ya wanna spend it, then why the he11 not?

Semper Fi
Ragin Cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:17 AM   #7
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Granted the Red Sox spend a lot of money, but they also mix that in with home grown talent such as Youkilis or Dustin Pedroia or Justin Masterson. Out of the Yankees starting lineup how many of those guys made it all the way through their minor league system? Since when do you see teams like the Kansas City Royals or Oakland Athletics buying free agents at will?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
Granted the Red Sox spend a lot of money, but they also mix that in with home grown talent such as Youkilis or Dustin Pedroia or Justin Masterson. Out of the Yankees starting lineup how many of those guys made it all the way through their minor league system? Since when do you see teams like the Kansas City Royals or Oakland Athletics buying free agents at will?
You don't know what your talking about. On the current Yankees roster their are plenty of home grown Yankees. Wang, Chamberlain, Coke, Hughes, Matsui, Kennedy, Posada, Veras, Robertson, Ramirez, Marte (originally drafted by the Yanks), Jeter, Cano, Rivera, Christian, Cabrera, and Gardner.

As I explained to King James in the Sabathia thread, the Yankees have been tapping their minor league system much more than they did during the dynasty years. And on top of that, they are still a few million dollars under last years payroll despite the big spending because of all the big contracts that expired over the off season. They are actually paying Tex a million dollars less a year than they did for Giambi lol.

They needed Tex badly (as did the Sox) as their run production was only tenth in the AL last year. Tex was a perfect fit, better defense than Giambi (2 gold gloves so far), switch hitter with power, the real deal. The sheer hatred and disappointment coming from Red Sox nation is wonderful right now, John Henry ain't the most popular owner right now lol.

The Yanks were in a position where they had to go nuts this off season. They have to open the new stadium with a bang!

Last edited by VirtualSmitty; 12-24-2008 at 09:15 AM.
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:05 AM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
You don't know what your talking about. On the current Yankees roster their are plenty of home grown Yankees. Wang, Chamberlain, Coke, Hughes, Matsui, Kennedy, Posada, Veras, Robertson, Ramirez, Marte (originally drafted by the Yanks), Jeter, Cano, Rivera, Christian, Cabrera, and Gardner.

As I explained to King James in the Sabathia thread, the Yankees have been tapping their minor league system much more than they did during the dynasty years. And on top of that, they are still a few million dollars under last years payroll despite the big spending because of all the big contracts that expired over the off season. They are actually paying Tex a million dollars less a year than they did for Giambi lol.

They needed Tex badly (as did the Sox) as their run production was only tenth in the AL last year. Tex was a perfect fit, better defense than Giambi (2 gold gloves so far), switch hitter with power, the real deal. The sheer hatred and disappointment coming from Red Sox nation is wonderful right now, John Henry ain't the most popular owner right now lol.

The Yanks were in a position where they had to go nuts this off season. They have to open the new stadium with a bang!

I don't know the yankees roster thats why I asked how many of them made it all the way through the minors to the show. I still think they over paid for him, granted he is good but 180 million, come on. His price got driven up by the offers from Washington, Baltimore, and Boston. He held out until the Yankees opened their wallet like they always do and gave him exactly what he wanted. And no the Sox did not need him badly, Youkillis plays a hell of a first base, the guys a gamer. What Boston needs is a new catcher and to solidify their middle relief. Boston fans are angry right now because John Henry actually showed restraint in over paying for a player who happened to go to the Yankees. If he went to Washington Boston fans wouldnt give a ****
Old 12-24-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
Drat

My Halos are in a bad spot now trying to fill that hole at first...
Old 12-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Boston fans are angry right now because John Henry actually showed restraint in over paying for a player who happened to go to the Yankees. If he went to Washington Boston fans wouldnt give a ****
Hell. 90% of professional athletes are overpaid.
Boston fans just like to blame the Yankees for everything. Your last statement is proof of that.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM   #12
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Hell. 90% of professional athletes are overpaid.
Boston fans just like to blame the Yankees for everything. Your last statement is proof of that.

Not going to deny that one. I dislike the yankees, their front office, and their fans. Some profession athletes actually deserve the money they make. Tiger Woods, Roger Fedderer, Michael Jordan, undeniably the best in their sports. Mark Texiera, not in that category
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 AM   #13
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Not going to deny that one. I dislike the yankees, their front office, and their fans.
Nice of you to be hatin' on some of us here at CA.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:25 AM   #14
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

What a lot of people don't realize as well is that they are more then likely going to have less of a payroll this year then last. They freed up almost 90 million a year this year. These moves were all justified.
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
jbonnefsc

Religion, Politics, Sex, and Baseball. The topics i won't touch.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #16
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not going to deny that one. I dislike the yankees, their front office, and their fans.
Typical low class Sox fan. I hate the Blow Sox with a passion, but I have made many friends here on the boards who are Sox fans, have friends outside the boards that are Sox fans and I can say easily I don't hate the fans. That's just a dumb thing to say.

I know it's hard though. It's tough not to be jealous considering the Yanks are the most popular team in sports, most successful team in sports, wealthiest team team in sports, and just happen to have owners who care more about their fans, their team, and winning, more than any other team in sports.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:04 PM   #17
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
Typical low class Sox fan. I hate the Blow Sox with a passion, but I have made many friends here on the boards who are Sox fans, have friends outside the boards that are Sox fans and I can say easily I don't hate the fans. That's just a dumb thing to say.

I know it's hard though. It's tough not to be jealous considering the Yanks are the most popular team in sports, most successful team in sports, wealthiest team team in sports, and just happen to have owners who care more about their fans, their team, and winning, more than any other team in sports.

To each his own slick, Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
spectrrr
Back in the midwest!

First Name: Frank
LGC
spectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to allspectrrr is a name known to all

Quote:
Well baseball has officially hit rock bottom. The Yankees just paid $180 million dollars for Mark Texiera. I am getting sick and tired of the Yankees throwing all this money at guys when the suddenly are struggling to compete. How about doing what just about every other team does and develop your farm system? The money the spent on this off season would probably buy a small country. I am not jealous over this, as I think hes not worth the money or number of years, just agrivated at how badly baseball economics has gotten. Rant over. Go Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmancbr View Post
Of course any year the Red sox don't make it is just as good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonnefsc View Post
Religion, Politics, Sex, and Baseball. The topics i won't touch.

(yep, this post was all smilies... they said everything I wanted to say )
Old 12-26-2008, 06:24 AM   #19
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Quote:
Not going to deny that one. I dislike the yankees, their front office, and their fans. Some profession athletes actually deserve the money they make. Tiger Woods, Roger Fedderer, Michael Jordan, undeniably the best in their sports. Mark Texiera, not in that category

And I hate all NE fans from the Red Sox to the Patriots.

Boston couldn't close the deal and needed Tex more than the Yankees. For 1.5 million extra a year, they could have closed the deal, but the Yankees swwoped in and took him away and saved a million a year by replacing Giambi. Seems like a bargain to me.

The Yankees spent some bad money on aging players the last 7 years and have paid for it. They are understandably hated because of their deep pockets and desire to win at any cost.

Don't write off Manny in pinstripes next year, although we don't need a loafer. It would be worth it to further add to Boston's upcoming pain.

Ortiz is getting old and so is all the whining from Boston fans. This one should haunt Boston for a while and will be almost as fun to watch as the Pat's collapse.

Bet you coulda heard a pin drop on the streets of Boston when they found out the Yankees did it again.

Last edited by floydpink; 12-26-2008 at 06:31 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 06:41 AM   #20
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

A preview of late September and you really should be back in school...