Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
King James
Regard Me!

First Name: Jim
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
King James has disabled reputation
Default Sabathia to the Yankees... probably

Guess they still want to just keep throwing $$ at big name players instead of developing their young guys like they did when they were actually good.

Maybe I'm also just bitter cuz I want him to stay in Milwaukee.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Sabathia to the Yankees... probably

The big man has big plans, and Milwaukee ain't in them.

If he isn't going to be a Cub, then I will be happy to see him out of the National League.....the guy was stellar last season.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

Money talks. For what its worth, I hope they suck again this year. Never been a big fan of buying players just because you have the money. Its always nice to see them fail on the field when they shell out a gazillion dollars for their players.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:01 AM   #4
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

First Name: Joe
Trading: (0)
Vegueros
VirtualSmitty has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by King James View Post
Guess they still want to just keep throwing $$ at big name players instead of developing their young guys like they did when they were actually good.

Maybe I'm also just bitter cuz I want him to stay in Milwaukee.
The problem is the Yankees are expected to win year in and year out. Rebuilding isn't an option in NY. And in all fairness, they tried to build around their draft players. Chen Meng Wang, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Phil Coke, Darrel Rasner, Joba Chamberlain, all Yankees picks. The problem was Hughes sucked, Kennedy sucked, Wang got hurt, Rasner was only ok, and Joba got hurt. With Moose retired, Rasners contract sold to a Japanese team, and Petite unsgined as of yet they need pitching right now to compete in the American League East. Sabathia is the best of the bunch available right now, if elects to go somewhere else I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Lowe, Garland, or Ben Sheets. Although by the looks of things we've got Sabathia all wrapped up

In all honesty though James, the Brewers never had a chance at resigning him. He turned down a 100 million dollar contract when he was still with the Indians, the Brewers just don't have that kind of money to throw around.

Last edited by VirtualSmitty; 12-10-2008 at 09:14 AM.
VirtualSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty View Post
The problem is the Yankees are expected to win year in and year out. Rebuilding isn't an option in NY. And in all fairness, they tried to build around their draft players. Chen Meng Wang, Phil Hughes, Ian Kennedy, Phil Coke, Darrel Rasner, Joba Chamberlain, all Yankees picks. The problem was Hughes sucked, Kennedy sucked, Wang got hurt, Rasner was only ok, and Joba got hurt. With Moose retired, Rasners contract sold to a Japanese team, and Petite unsgined as of yet they need pitching right now to compete in the American League East. Sabathia is the best of the bunch available right now, if elects to go somewhere else I wouldn't be surprised if they signed Lowe, Garland, or that other Brewers pitcher who name escapes me.

In all honesty though James, the Brewers never had a chance at resigning him. He turned down a 100 million dollar contract when he was still with the Indians, the Brewers just don't have that kind of money to throw around.
Brewers were even offering part ownership of the team I heard, guaranteeing Sabathia $$ after he retires even (not that he will have money problems). And I remember seeing a program on how after the success of the late 90's early 2000's that the Yankees began the pattern of dealing away their young guys for established players and have had problems ever since.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:21 AM   #6
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Brewers were even offering part ownership of the team I heard, guaranteeing Sabathia $$ after he retires even (not that he will have money problems). And I remember seeing a program on how after the success of the late 90's early 2000's that the Yankees began the pattern of dealing away their young guys for established players and have had problems ever since.
False, false, and false. First of all no player can be offered a piece of ownership in any team. There was a big to do about that if you recall when A-Rod was a free agent and the Cubs wanted him. But they didn't have the cash and wanted to offer him a piece of the team, and MLB said no.

Secondly, the Yankees generally haven't dealt any of their good young players for vets. We specialize in signing over the hill free agents, not trading for them. In fact, the Yanks dealt more of their young talent during the dynasty years , not after. Really the only name that stands out from this era is Alfonso Soriano, but considering that we got A-Rod, you can write that one off. Both are great players, neither can hit worth a damn during the postseason. Find me the name of one other Yankees prospect that's turned into a great player as of late that we've traded away.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM   #7
King James
Regard Me!

Bolivar

I believe the show (or may even have been a report on SportsCenter) said they did start dealing away in the dynasty era, causing the bad past several seasons. Don't have any specific examples unfortunately, just remember that was the jist of what they were saying.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
I believe the show (or may even have been a report on SportsCenter) said they did start dealing away in the dynasty era, causing the bad past several seasons. Don't have any specific examples unfortunately, just remember that was the jist of what they were saying.
Depends how you look at it James. The Yanks still made the playoffs every season up until the last one, made the WS twice, and even last season they had a winning record. It just wasn't enough, too many injuries. But i wouldn't call the last several seasons bad ones.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #9
taltos
Really, really old

First Name: Paul
Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

The Yankees just signed a whole bunch of dead money when Sabathia either eats himself out of the rotation or breaks down in a couple of years. Glad to see the Yankees sign him. Hope that they sign Lowe also and watch him have problems in an east coast pressure cooker as he did in Boston. Pressure and 4am closing times. Great choice.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
The Yankees just signed a whole bunch of dead money when Sabathia either eats himself out of the rotation or breaks down in a couple of years. Glad to see the Yankees sign him. Hope that they sign Lowe also and watch him have problems in an east coast pressure cooker as he did in Boston. Pressure and 4am closing times. Great choice.
Your just jealous Boston didn't get him. Only 28 years old and the most dominating pitcher in baseball the last two years in a row. If the Yanks had signed Burnett it would have been dead money, Sabathia 'fraid not.

Now we only need three more pitchers and we'll be able to compete with the Sox and Rays
Old 12-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #11
taltos
Really, really old

taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

Actually pitching is a spot where we are ok right now. Would like Burnett on a short term deal, 3 years or less. I just think that with the innings pitched the last couple of years and the weight he is carrying, Sabathia is a good candidate for a breakdown in the next couple of years. Lowe was a bit of a head case here in Boston as the team got better and more competitive. Good luck with these guys, the season is more fun when we are in a good race together.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:42 PM   #12
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Actually pitching is a spot where we are ok right now. Would like Burnett on a short term deal, 3 years or less. I just think that with the innings pitched the last couple of years and the weight he is carrying, Sabathia is a good candidate for a breakdown in the next couple of years. Lowe was a bit of a head case here in Boston as the team got better and more competitive. Good luck with these guys, the season is more fun when we are in a good race together.
I hope the Sox sign Burnett. He can be your Carl Pavano
Old 12-10-2008, 01:59 PM   #13
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
I hope the Sox sign Burnett. He can be your Carl Pavano
To this day I would like to understand what happened to Pavano. He showed incredible potential with us, got what was supposed to be a minor injury and then his career went to hell. Thought that he was going to be very good for a long while.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
To this day I would like to understand what happened to Pavano. He showed incredible potential with us, got what was supposed to be a minor injury and then his career went to hell. Thought that he was going to be very good for a long while.
Hell if I know. When we signed him I thought it was a good move. Young, good arm, playoff experience, WS win under his belt. Then every little injury resulted in him needing season ending surgery. I don't think he pitched much over 12 games his whole 4 year tenure with the Yanks. He milked us for 40 mil!
Old 12-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #15
taltos
Really, really old

Funny to think that Pavano was the lead player (Tony Armas Jr was the other) in the trade that got the Red Sox Pedro Martinez.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:07 PM   #16
bigloo
Crazy like a fox

First Name: Lu
Trading: (27)
Partagas
bigloo will become famous soon enough

apparently baseball is recession proof!
bigloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:55 PM   #17
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Actually pitching is a spot where we are ok right now. Would like Burnett on a short term deal, 3 years or less.
Looks like Burnett is coming to NY as well. I pray he stays healthy.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #18
taltos
Really, really old

Quote:
Looks like Burnett is coming to NY as well. I pray he stays healthy.
You're not laughing now! I wonder how much in luxury taxes these signings will cost.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:15 PM   #19
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

no way is his fat ass worth 160 million, hes good but not that good. Yanks overspent for AJ Burnett also, 5 yrs at 82 million. 3 years at 40 million would have been a better deal. Boston needs to land Texiera.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 PM   #20
VirtualSmitty
WiP!?

Vegueros

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak View Post
no way is his fat ass worth 160 million, hes good but not that good. Yanks overspent for AJ Burnett also, 5 yrs at 82 million. 3 years at 40 million would have been a better deal. Boston needs to land Texiera.
if you look at the figures he has been the best pitcher in baseball for the last two years running. They overpaid, but he was going to cost a pretty penny no matter who signed him. Burnett worries me, but he had a solid year last, maybe his arm will hold together for another year or two lol.

From what i've read the Nats are actually offering Tex the most money right now.