Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 11-29-2008, 06:41 AM   #41
theycallmedan'lboone

Default Re: CA's First Annual Iron Bowl Thread

Checkmate. (and thats without going through my facebook friends list )
Old 11-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #42
TideRoll
It is what it is.

First Name: Tim
Trading: (5)
Partagas
TideRoll is on a distinguished road

Oh, the smack talk. Well, there's going to be plenty of that for the next year any way you slice it.

Here is why Alabama will win and probably dominate this game:

I'll start by mentioning Bear Bryant, because Auburn fans think we do too much already even though we don't really talk about him all that much these days. Coach Bryant used to talk about a team playing together, with "one heartbeat." Alabama is doing exactly that: they believe in what Saban is doing, they have great chemistry, they're moving together in one direction. Contrast that with the discord that has been happening this year with our Lee County friends.

Second, there is that old coaches saying that you need to stop the run, establish the run and limit mistakes. The second reason Alabama is going to win this one is that our offensive and defensive lines are superior and we will win the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Burns might slip out while ad-libbing once or twice, but Auburn is not going to beat Alabama by making it up as they go along.

That is two thirds of the old winning formula. Which brings us to the third reason we will win the game. We've got a senior quarterback who has done a good job of directing the offense and limiting mistakes this year.

Then there is coaching. Alabama has finally stopped playing around with favored sons, unstable hucksters and good time Charlies. Auburn has feasted while we've been playing musical coaching chairs, but that song has stopped.

Did I mention that opposing teams have only been inside our Red Zone six times this year?

Reasons Auburn might surprise us:

Rain can change the complexion of a football game. Turnovers occur more often, and that ball can bounce funny ways. Some of the forecasts I've seen indicate most of the rain is going to be before the game, but it could still have an impact.

Auburn players might have enough pride left to pull together for this game, though we will see if Alabama should get up a couple of scores early on them. This is still the Iron Bowl and almost anything can happen in these things. This is their bowl game on the line, and their shot at redemption for a sub-par year. They don't need any extra motivation than simply playing Alabama, but they have it anyway.

Odd turn of QB-ing. Should John Parker Wilson suddenly return to his Mississippi State form of last year and Cody Burns and his supporting cast turn all-world on us, the game could get interesting.

Special teams mistakes early. If Javier Arenas gets fumbly on an early punt or two, it could make the game much closer than it could be. Of course, the corollary is that if he should get hot, it could get ugly in a hurry the other way.

If there are any Auburn fans who want to wager on this one, I'll put a fiver up to make it interesting.

Last edited by TideRoll; 11-29-2008 at 08:12 AM.
TideRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:35 AM   #43
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Good synopsis TideRoll. I don't see us changing our gameplan at all from what we have seen week to week. I think Auburn's pride will keep them close through the first half but I feel we take over the game early in the third. As Steadman Shealy said, it's time for the streak to end.

I like our chances to dominate today.

dan'l, it's time to pay the piper brother...let's get it on.
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 01:42 PM   #44
kdog

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!! I better not miss any of the game because of Georgia v GT. Go Tigers
Old 11-29-2008, 01:44 PM   #45
kdog

Dan'l, She Is FINE!!!!!! We grow em well in Auburn
Old 11-29-2008, 05:39 PM   #46
theycallmedan'lboone

My Synopsis:
1) block for your FG kicker, because this one, apparently can kick...
2) don't turn down an INT
3) don't fumble the ball
4) don't keep your d on the field for 50 minutes of the game
5) don't fumble the ball
6) don't fumble the ball
7) Maybe this is just me, I don't give a damn if you're losing 550-0, have some testicular fortitude, go for it. This game, IMHO got Tuberville fired, he showed ZERO heart, didn't get after his players, EXACTLY the opposite of Saban. The Bama punter shanked a kick, when the score was lots to nothing, and he still chewed that boys ass off. Auburn's O needs some serious work. I think the trickle affect is what made the D look sloppy. Apparently when you play 55 minutes of a football game, you get tired...

Alabama played very well. Enjoy your win.
Auburn played like they had all season. What would anyone other than a delusional Tiger fan expect ;-) War Eagle. We'll see you next year... but for now. I need your address sir.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #47
auburnfan1980

I like my crow served medium-rare, please.

Jason
Old 11-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #48
kdog

congrats Bama, we'll meet again. At least I got Dan'l s pics to give me a rise. War Eagle, we still got six in a row. I hope bama wins it all now. Better South than north.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 AM   #49
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote