Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 AM   #21
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (2)
JackSchwartz is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Davidoff - Like, Love, or not worth the money?

Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric
JackSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #22
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengalMan View Post
The Maduro's are very young and have been notorious for having burn problems. The ones I have I'm letting sit for about 6 months and will revisit them.
Yup I wasn't totally impressed with the Maddy...but time will tell if they stay in line with the other yummy stuff.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Trading: (62)
papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz View Post
Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric

Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow.
papajohn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #24
hdroadglide
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
hdroadglide is on a distinguished road

this is just what makes the world go round. i have never cared for the flavor profile of davidoff (although i've never tried a cc). for the price, i'd rather have a nice tatuaje. but that's just me. more for everyone else!!
hdroadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM   #25
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow.
I was lucky enough to meet Winston Churchill's grandson when I was in Las Vegas for the trade show. Very nice gentleman. He was a news correspondent after graduating college. When I told him I was from Chicago he told me a great story. "I've covered many conflicts and wars; from Vietnam to the Middle East. Funny enough, the only time I was injured covering a story was at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago."
I guess he was going back to his hotel room when two cops approached him and asked him where he thought he was going. He told them he was heading back to his hotel. "Oh yeah, where's your key and what's your name", the cops asked. "Here's my key, and my name is Winston Churchill", he replied. CRACK!!! The cop smacked him over the head with his baton. "You some kind of wise guy?"

Thought that was a funny story. Intrestigly enough we have a little connection to Winston Churchill as well. Jack Schwartz presented him with a case of Montecristo cigars when Churchill came to Chicago. We have a photo in the shop.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:31 PM   #26
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #27
68TriShield
Got Torque?

First Name: Dave
Trading: (40)
HUpmann
68TriShield has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68TriShield View Post
That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric
Oh and as far as Davidoff as a brand,there are cigars in the line that I like.
Never bought a box because there are too many equal cigars for much less $.
68TriShield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:56 PM   #28
weak_link
The Stranger

First Name: Eric
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
weak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura aboutweak_link has a spectacular aura about

I really enjoy the Ani no 3's and the original no 2's. Shame about the price but they do have a place in my rotation every once in a while. Special 't' are also great, almost forgot those.
weak_link is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #29
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

papajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nicepapajohn67 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSchwartz View Post

Eric
Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!
Old 10-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #30
Sauer Grapes
Snatchin' yo people up

Trading: (44)
Cohiba
Sauer Grapes has disabled reputation

Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.
Sauer Grapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:32 AM   #31
JackSchwartz
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by papajohn67 View Post
Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!
Those Winston Churchills are from recent shipments. I've smoked the Chequers and the Marrakesh from this latest batch and found them to be excellent.

Also, I tested all the Legend lighters before we sent them out. All worked great. I liked the strong flame on them.

Enjoy the smokes.

Eric
Old 10-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #32
Addiction

I love Davidoff, but I do think they can be a little expensive. When I look at the price I think "Davidoff or Cohiba" and Cohiba is a clear winner in that comparison.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:35 PM   #33
Legend

Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it. Just can't pull the trigger.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #34
papajohn67
Reprobate From The 101st

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes View Post
Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.
I smoked a WC Chequers late last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very unique taste. Great draw and burn. However I can see where the cigar might not suit a great many peoples tastes....not implying cigar snobbery but the WC did float this BOTL's boat. I have to agree it is a pricy sucker!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:57 PM   #35
massphatness
Where's my buffaloooo ...

First Name: Vin
Trading: (206)
ERdM
massphatness has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it.
How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM   #36
ahc4353

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

You are so smart.

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.

I will fix this next trip up. I will pick up two Aniversario #3's and a bottle of Cragganmore.
Next trip!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #37
AdamC

Mwuahaha! I just got some of these last sat. Just the 9cigar sampler and a few others.
Old 10-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #38
SonsofClubDeck

Like em' but not enough to pay out for them. However, their full-flavored cigarettes will straight up Terry Tate your ass. $4 per pack in NC but well worth it.