Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 AM   #1
makers_fiend
Just in from the Storm

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
makers_fiend is on a distinguished road
Default First online purchase

So I took the plunge, for me anyway, and bought a 5 Vegas Limitada '13 10-pack. I have always bought from a B&M because I am still trying to find what I truly enjoy. Was this a good purchase for someone who likes RP Decades, AB American Classic, Romeo by RyJ, H.U 1844's?
Old 07-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #2
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all
Default Re: First online purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by makers_fiend View Post
So I took the plunge, for me anyway, and bought a 5 Vegas Limitada '13 10-pack. I have always bought from a B&M because I am still trying to find what I truly enjoy. Was this a good purchase for someone who likes RP Decades, AB American Classic, Romeo by RyJ, H.U 1844's?
5 Vegas is a solid marca, but only you can tell if you like them, which is the only thing that matters. You'll find a lot of reviews here if you poke around. If you read reviews of sticks you're familiar with and compare them with reviews of the Limatada, or what ever else you're curious about, it should help you get a sense of what you're looking at. That's what I do, anyway.

Oh BTW, Welcome aboard!
Old 07-22-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post
5 Vegas is a solid marca, but only you can tell if you like them, which is the only thing that matters. You'll find a lot of reviews here if you poke around. If you read reviews of sticks you're familiar with and compare them with reviews of the Limatada, or what ever else you're curious about, it should help you get a sense of what you're looking at. That's what I do, anyway.

Oh BTW, Welcome aboard!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

congrats on your purchase and the crazy idea of joining this nuthouse!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
makers_fiend
Just in from the Storm

Thank you guys. BTW I like to be crazy that's why I didn't go sign up for home quilting techniques with Emily.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
brigey57
Smoke me if you can...

First Name: Bri
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
brigey57 is on a distinguished road
Talking Re: First online purchase

Congratulation with your first on-line purchase and down the dark and slippery slope know by cigar smokers all over the world. Only you will be able to determine if it was a good purchase since it will be determined by the one person who can determine the quality and value of the purchase. Enjoy the smoke!

Quote:
There are five things that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a fine cigar." Just say NO to SCHIP and Cigar taxes!
brigey57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

When I first started getting serious about cigars I ordered a lot - make that a LOT - of samplers from CI and FSS. It was a great way to try a wide variety of smokes and helped me determine what I do and do not like.

And if you're not already signed up for the Newbie Sampler Trade, I highly recommend it.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:05 PM   #8
makers_fiend
Just in from the Storm

I am second on the newbie waiting list. Thank you.
So I just got off the phone with CI and I have to say they were great. I made a severe newbie mistake and didn't research enough before delving in the MMAO arena. I bid 2X what they offered it at (still 37.5% cheaper than MSRP) and they changed my bill to match what they offered it at (37.5% of MSRP). I have found my online home.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Thank you guys. BTW I like to be crazy that's why I didn't go sign up for home quilting techniques with Emily.
If that's Emily in your avatar picture - you're nuts! One could quilt all day.....
nutcracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #10
makers_fiend
Just in from the Storm

Nope, Carmen Electra. If that were Emily she would be locked up away from all you nutcases...
Old 07-22-2014, 02:38 PM   #11
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I am second on the newbie waiting list. Thank you.
So I just got off the phone with CI and I have to say they were great. I made a severe newbie mistake and didn't research enough before delving in the MMAO arena. I bid 2X what they offered it at (still 37.5% cheaper than MSRP) and they changed my bill to match what they offered it at (37.5% of MSRP). I have found my online home.
Yep, that's a lesson learned. MMAO & Cigarbid (a.k.a. The Devil Site) almost always list the MSRP for comparison even though they actually sell the item for less. Anytime I use MMAO or Cigarbid I keep other tabs open to CI, FSS, and a few other vendors to see what they actually sell for.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:06 PM   #12
makers_fiend
Just in from the Storm

A lesson well learned. Luckily I didn't have to suffer from my mistake.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:40 PM   #13
badbriar

Welcome...
Now, to add to your hobby...
Check out Small Batch Cigars (free shipping), Atlantic Cigar, Holts and Cigar Federation. All are good people and each has unique offerings.
Beware of CAD (cigar acquisition disorder). That's what most of us are in the Asylum for!
Old 08-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #14
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subvet642 View Post

Oh BTW, Welcome aboard!
Absolutely! You need to find what you like, and that is all that matters. When you put a cigar in your mouth, it is your own tastes that you must satisfy - even if it is a grape Swisher.

Stick around here long enough and read enough posts, you will find out whose tastes are similar to your own. Their reviews will be the most valuable. But even then, you probably will not agree 100%, so it ultimately boils down to you liking your own cigars. I have good friend who lives nearby, he and I enjoy many of the same sticks - BUT - not everything I love does he like, nor do I like all the sticks he enjoys.

As to your purchase, I hope you enjoy them. They are a solid stick and have many followers who enjoy them.

Welcome to the Asylum!

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
BHalbrooks
Have My Own Room

First Name: B
Trading: (5)
SP CoastGuard (Active)
BHalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutBHalbrooks has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porch Dweller View Post
Yep, that's a lesson learned. MMAO & Cigarbid (a.k.a. The Devil Site) almost always list the MSRP for comparison even though they actually sell the item for less. Anytime I use MMAO or Cigarbid I keep other tabs open to CI, FSS, and a few other vendors to see what they actually sell for.
THIS. Some guys don't pay attention to what CI lists an item at, and will overbid. Pay attention to your bids too. It doesn't happen often, but some guys have bid $2,000 instead of $200.

If you like something, smoke it. No shame in your game bro.
BHalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote