Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Tea Discussion

Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #1
Whipper Snapper
95% Banter 5% MMM Habanos

First Name: Blake
Trading: (0)
RA
Whipper Snapper has disabled reputation
Default My thoughts on puerh tea, and why cigar guys might like it.

You might think that the only way tea and cigars are alike, is in the fact that they are both made out of leaves. This is not entirely the case.

Before I married my beautiful wife, I knew full well that she was not fond of tobacco use. This didn't keep me from marrying her of course, and so out of respect for her, I don't smoke as much. That's a different conversation for a different day.

Because I knew I'd be smoking less, I knew I'd need to find some kind of replacement. My research somehow brought me to puerh tea. For those who don't know what it is, puerh tea comes (mostly) from the yunnan province in china. Its leaves are picked from mountain bushes, and tea trees. The leaves are almost always picked, dried, and then compressed into various shapes. (Bricks, discs, bowls, etc.).

The unique thing about puerh tea is, much like cigars, the tea changes with age. Puerh tea undergoes a natural oxidation and fermentation process. The leaves get darker, and the flavor profile transforms. A 2 year old tea is going to taste different from a 5 year old tea. A 5 year old tea is going to taste different than a 10 year old tea. I think you probably get the idea. The older teas are almost always more valuable and desirable.

The regions in which the tea is picked also has a huge effect on the taste of the tea. Some puerh teas are blends from different moutains, while some teas are blends from a single mountain. So, puerh tea also shares this in common with cigars.

Puerh tea does not have nicotine (for those who enjoy a little buzz with a smoke), but it does have caffeine, and another substance that makes one feel awake yet calm. Indeed, some high quality teas can even make one feel high. I have experienced this firsthand. It is kind of like having a little bit of a booze, caffeine, and narcotic buzz at the same time, but it does not impair your judgment or ability to function.

Lastly, there are all kinds of factories with their own variety of blends. So, as you can see, this is a world that has a ton of similarities to the cigar world.

It's also worth noting that there are two kinds of puerh teas produced.
Sheng, and shu (or raw/ripe).

Sheng/raw is more or less a green tea that ages/darkens in color over time.
Shu/Ripe is a puerh tea that undergoes a rapid fermentation at the factory to emulate what an 15+ year old naturally aged sheng puerh tastes like. Many people think that shu puerh benefits with age as well.

Both have their place in the drinking world, but most collectors prize sheng over shu puerh. Plus, many people prefer the way young sheng puerh tastes. Me? Well, I like it all. I've not tried a tea older than 98 yet. They start to get really pricey at that point. But, I'm hoping to age some stuff myself in the long run.

If you have any questions, let me know. Puerh isn't a terribly expensive hobby to get into. But it can be if you want it to be.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Robulous78

Default Re: My thoughts on puerh tea, and why cigar guys might like it.

Really interesting...

I like a cup of Earl Grey on cold nights... anything else you would suggest?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Whipper Snapper

RA

I would suggest you check out these videos, which might push you over the edge to try some puerh tea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThOL272oEqI (on how it is made)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2CjFnpcJMg (on brewing puerh tea)

I suppose I forgot to mention how puerh is brewed. Traditional puerh tea brewing is usually a high leaf/to water ratio. Also, puerh tea is brewed in short, multiple brewings.
I will brew my leaves anywhere from 6-10 times, sometimes even more if the leaves are potent enough.

Everyone is different, but my brew times look like this.
20 seconds
15 seconds
25 seconds
35 seconds
45 seconds
1 minute
(and then higher increments as needed).

It's important to note that very often, new flavors come through and or become more pronounced throughout the various infusions.

I think it's pretty great stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Whipper Snapper

RA

One more video. This is of a "pumidor"
There is a slope in this hobby.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNHIKjtALU
Old 01-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
the nub
Papa Chino

Trading: (2)
LGC
the nub is on a distinguished road

been drinking a lot of utility grade puerh the last few days. Generally I prefer something more subtle and/or 'green' or vegetal like oolongs. Puerh is a nice change of pace though I have to be in a particular mood for it since it is so earthy tasting.
the nub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Whipper Snapper

RA

Yeah. I'd suggest that folks new to it try a bunch of samples from a reputable vendor to see if it's even their thing. Oolongs are more of my change of pace tea.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 PM   #7
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I've tried a few Puerh teas and can't really get behind them, they taste kind of funky and rotted to me, I guess they are just fermented too much for my palate. Only way I could get through what I bought was with a lot of half&half. Anyone looking to try them should buy them in small amounts because sometimes they can be incredibly pungent and hard to choke down
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #8
Whipper Snapper

RA

Chances are you tried some low quality shus? Did they kind of smell like pond water? How dark were they?
Old 08-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about

How'd I miss this been looking at Puerh tea for awhile just never pulled the plug. Figured It'd be another yet slippery slope but now I am intrigued once again and had some great reads and vids thank you Blake.