Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-09-2014, 06:55 PM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default Bought a Quadcopter

I bought a Hobsan X4 h107l on amazon ($54 including same day shipping) Its kinda tiny.

But its SUPER cool! It starts up in Normal mode, where the controls are not as sensitive. Pretty easy to fly. I took it to the park with my daughter who is 13 and she was able to fly it fairly good.

I put it in expert mode, and it responds great! And I turned off the Anti-Flip mode and tried my had at some flips...I did a couple but it is pretty difficult to control coming out of the flip.

I don't have any RC experience beyond cars. If I can get a video Ill post it. You can search Hubsan X4 on youtube and see some good pilots haha. You can get a version with a camera too.

The battery only lasts 7 minutes which is typical with these lower end copters. Takes about 30 to 45 minutes to charge...you can buy extra batteries for about $5.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #2
TXSmokey
huh

First Name: Richard
Trading: (1)
Montecristo
TXSmokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Bought a Quadcopter

Cool! I always like playing with the little air hogs helicopters
TXSmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

I've been wanting one myself. How has it been holding up to crashes?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #4
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold

All I can think about with seeing that thing is how I know I would have terrorized my parent's cat with it when I was a kid. It used to climb to this perch on top of the cupboards above the fridge to get away from us kids. He could watch most of the house from there and be free from kids trying to mess with him. This little toy would have changed all that.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
dave
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
Trading: (15)
Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Had something much larger flying around my housing development the other night. Was after dark, but the craft had bright green and red lights on it. It hovered around a square block area for about 15-20 min. No idea where the controller was or what type, if any, sensors were on board. Creeped me out a little. Can't imagine the civilians in communities that have drones overhead 24/7.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave View Post
Had something much larger flying around my housing development the other night. Was after dark, but the craft had bright green and red lights on it. It hovered around a square block area for about 15-20 min. No idea where the controller was or what type, if any, sensors were on board. Creeped me out a little. Can't imagine the civilians in communities that have drones overhead 24/7.
I was at a concert last summer where there was something similar, bright lights and cool flying maneuvers. that thing could go for a distance as well, it would fly way out of sight then back and hover over the audience. never did see it land, may have been an alien, but probably a big quad copter
Old 06-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
kgoings
Cigarologist

kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough

It is handling real well after crashes. My daughter has smashed it into a light pole, a fence, the ground multiple times. etc.

It comes with extra props, and you can buy more as well. It also is completely rebuildable if you break it. The parts are cheap.

Yea there are some really advanced ones out there. Some of them you just put in a course on your computer, put it down and send it off. It flys by itself. Which I think kind of defeats the purpose.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)
dave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the roughdave is a jewel in the rough

Unless your purpose is to fly over fences, around corners and video the chick in the shower through her window 2 blocks away.....or follow your teenager on a Saturday night....I'll get over it, I suppose, but I'm not real comfortable with this technology being available to anyone with $54 and an Amazon account.....or at least the 'more advanced' ones. The palm-size toy for the backyard or the playground is fine with me.....for now...
Old 06-10-2014, 10:21 AM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Curious how far the radio range is and does your experience seem to meet with the advertised rage?

Obviously, being the size of your palm, it's not like you can fly it that far away and still see it, but still nice to know.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Unless your purpose is to fly over fences, around corners and video the chick in the shower through her window 2 blocks away.....or follow your teenager on a Saturday night....I'll get over it, I suppose, but I'm not real comfortable with this technology being available to anyone with $54 and an Amazon account.....or at least the 'more advanced' ones. The palm-size toy for the backyard or the playground is fine with me.....for now...
Pull!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #11
dave
Have My Own Room

Partagas Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Pull!
I like the sentiment....I'll have to check with the brick of a book that my HOA gave me
Old 06-10-2014, 10:31 AM   #12
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
I like the sentiment....I'll have to check with the brick of a book that my HOA gave me
Pressure washer with a 0-degree (straight stream) nozzle.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:42 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

If it doesn't make it back, they can't tell who shot at it...well some can, they record video to an Ipad.
But if I see one hovering over my yard it is a goose. I don't give a crap how much someone paid for it.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #14
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Curious how far the radio range is and does your experience seem to meet with the advertised rage?

Obviously, being the size of your palm, it's not like you can fly it that far away and still see it, but still nice to know.
Range is 100m, its too small to fly that far away. As far as the rage, yea I think its freakin cool! My daughters love it too, its fun to fly around. And a cheap way to get into RC flying in a small area. Park flyers and such require a much larger area to practice. And the 'skills' to fly both are similar.

And in regards to some other posts. There is no video on this one. And the ones with video your not going to be sneaking up on anyone...these things are pretty noisy. The FPV ones are pretty cool as you can fly it using a screen on your remote. Im not into recording anyone lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:28 PM   #15
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
I've been wanting one myself. How has it been holding up to crashes?
Buy us some for the next herf!
Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 AM   #16
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, I knew yours was not video enabled. And I have not seen any drones around me.
Although someone on the sidewalk likes knocking down my fake surveillance camera that
looks down along the sidewalk. Now that the dog is slowing down, I have to be more
vigilant around here. Looks like a fun deal you got there, though.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 AM   #17
Brlesq
Carpe cigar!

First Name: Bruce
Trading: (17)
Montecristo
Brlesq will become famous soon enough

Neat gadget. Now you need to put a basket on it and have it bring you a beer and a stogie.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #18
kgoings
Cigarologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brlesq View Post
Neat gadget. Now you need to put a basket on it and have it bring you a beer and a stogie.
For sure!
Old 06-11-2014, 09:20 AM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I was gonna get a big one for my GoPro, but they say they wander off at least 30% of the time. Once I saw that, I just wasn't feeling it as hard.
One of those little buggers looks like fun.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #20
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

I have this one, and it's pretty fun.

http://www.amazon.com/Syma-Channel-2...7SSQVPW90BXP5Q
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote