Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #1
MrClean
Bald Man

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (28)
Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough
Default So exhausted from......

trying to find a car for my 16 yr old daughter. We started looking for something in the $4000 range. There is nothing 'decent' that you can find in that price range. They either have 200k + miles or are so ratty you don't want your kid driving them. We upped our budget to $5k and it's still not much better. Now I realize you can't expect a lot with this budget, but I'm so tired of looking at nothing but junk. We've driven all over town, up to 1.5 hours away and still nothing. This morning, we finally found a decent buy.

2000 Chrysler LHS. The cleanest looking car we've seen and it drives good, very little body noises. Transmission shifts good and engine runs smooth. Kind of a big car, but I think she'll be safe in it. It's nicer than my truck! Power everything and heated seats
I'm just glad the search is over. Time for a drink and a smoke.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
cjhalbrooks
I am behind you. SHHHHH

First Name: Cory
Location: Under a Bridge, trying to find the troll who stole my soul.
Trading: (20)
Montecristo Army (Active)
cjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura aboutcjhalbrooks has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: So exhausted from......

Glad you found what you where looking for.

GMCGTPWHAF Tennessee Chapter. Down with the bloody BIG HEAD
cjhalbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very safe...but not cheap on gas.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM   #4
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo
MrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the roughMrClean is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
Very safe...but not cheap on gas.
That's what I was thinking too Mac. She doesn't have any long drives, at least right now. Heck, she won't have her license for 2.5 months. But I think I'll feel a little less stress knowing she's in a bigger car like this one.
Old 07-13-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Jeff, I hear ya brother. Did this exact same thing a few years back with my youngest. Went out looking for a car with a $ 6500 budget....couldn't find anything in that price range. Dropped 10K on a 2004 Chevy Impala and gave me piece of mind knowing he'd be safe if he was in an accident.

Fast forward a few years...he paid the car off, sold it, and bought a Lexus I300. Kids!!
Old 07-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Glad you found a decent ride Jeff
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #7
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

It's good that you found your daughter a nice starter car. Now for the tough parts:

- Waiting for her to come home after she has been out driving
- Paying for car insurance

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Jeff, I hear ya brother. Did this exact same thing a few years back with my youngest. Went out looking for a car with a $ 6500 budget....couldn't find anything in that price range. Dropped 10K on a 2004 Chevy Impala and gave me piece of mind knowing he'd be safe if he was in an accident.

Fast forward a few years...he paid the car off, sold it, and bought a Lexus I300. Kids!!
Come on dad, what's cooler the I300 or the Impala?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
It's good that you found your daughter a nice starter car. Now for the tough parts:

- Waiting for her to come home after she has been out driving
- Paying for car insurance

The first time she's out driving by herself, I'll be a nervous wreck. In MO you're required to have a learners permit for 6 months, so even though she's 16 now, she can't test for her license until September. It's going to make her crazy riding the bus to school for a month
And she has to fit the bill for gas and insurance, time for someone to get a job!
Old 07-14-2013, 05:46 PM   #9
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

But, Dadddddyyyyy, I need some money to hang out withmy friends....

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

She's stylin' now!
Old 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
MrClean
Bald Man

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
But, Dadddddyyyyy, I need some money to hang out withmy friends....

Michael, you've obviously been in this situation my friend.
Old 07-15-2013, 05:48 AM   #12
jledou
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jay
Trading: (27)
Punch
jledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura aboutjledou has a spectacular aura about

Looks like a good find Jeff. I am not looking forward to doing the same in about 8 years.
jledou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Try to keep a firm hand on that pledge to let her fund her own wheeled dreams.
That car won't age sitting in the driveway. When she has money, she has wheels.
When she is broke, she has friends. I started my first job at 14, cooking chicken.
My nights were shot thereafter, but I was flush with cash, and when I DID have
time to hang out, my friends enjoyed helping me spend my money. But if she learns
that lesson with this car, she will be SO MUCH LESS LIKELY to get into financial
difficulty even with a credit card. HOLD FAST to that idea, gas, oil, insurance, all
out of her own funds. It will pay off for both of you. Til she has a garage sale
and puts all the expensive things you bought her out on the street for 50 cents.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Right on. I hated searching for my truck.. I finally gave up for a few months.. then when I went back to searching, found something fairly quick.

Glad your little headache is over.. Enjoy and be safe!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:54 AM   #15
gbum
Feeling at Home

First Name: Asyraf
Trading: (0)
Partagas
gbum is on a distinguished road

wow... for 5k you can get that nice car...

in my country... what you can get for 5k is just something like 1991 Peugeot 405 GTX...1991 Daihatsu Charade 1.0 (M) and 1989 Ford Laser TX3 Hatchback or any pre 1995 local brand...

sigh....
Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM   #16
czerbe
Just a Traveling Man

First Name: Corey
Trading: (2)
Partagas
czerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura aboutczerbe has a spectacular aura about

My first car was an 89 VW Fox!!! I drove that thing in to the ground paid 3K cash for it at 17 and drove it until I was 22 then I bought a 2002 VW Jetta still have it today.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:53 PM   #17
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

Heck, I still drive my ever-trusty 94 Chevy truck everywhere I go.

I had a 77 Bonneville growing up. The Land Yacht. It could hold a load of friends and went all over the world. Great days...
Old 07-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Continuing thread jack....
Lord, we used to put 10 in a Country Squire wagon and ROLL around New Orleans on the weekends.
Man, what times.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:58 PM   #19
Simple1
Livin' the dream

First Name: Brian
Trading: (14)
ERdM
Simple1 will become famous soon enough

My baby is only 11 months old. You guys are scaring me. I dread the day I but him a car and he can drive.
Simple1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 PM   #20
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

My first car, i had to pay for myself, it was like a mid 70s ambassador piece of sh!t that was rusting out, the passenger side floorboard, or what was left of it gave you a great view of the road as you went along. I drove it to and from school and work for 2 yrs this was in about '84, I think it was around 500 bucks. SCORE!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote