Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 06-29-2011, 10:48 AM   #1
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road
Default Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Cigar Cutter (54850) review

Since there are hardly any reviews on the internet of this cool gadget, I thought I would offer my two cents on it.

After seeing an add for this Swiss Army Knife in a past Cigar Snobb magazine, I decided to purchase it. I had been looking for a punch that offers 3 different sizes, since I'm relatively new to cigars (2 yrs) and I smoke a wide variety of vitolas, from 40 rg to 65 rg and wanted a cutter that could handle this.

The main reason why I bought this - three different size punches!

A typical Swiss Army Knife, with scissors, nail file, and blade

And now onto the punches! I used a CAO La Traviata with a ring gauge of 50.

The smallest of the 3, with a size of ~6mm

The middle of the 3, with a size of ~10mm

The largest of the 3, with a size of ~12mm

Now, onto the cut. The punching was an ease! I was a little worried when I first got it, since it seemed like the punches weren't very sharp. But with a little force initially (and I mean little!), the punches will slide right into the cap of the cigar. I was really impressed with the ease of it all!

The pros: Three different size punches, All Stainless Steel construction, and it's a Swiss Army Knife - who doesn't like them!?

The cons: You do not get the classic "toothpick" with this Swiss Army Knife. This would have been a real treat, since you need something narrow and pointed to get the part of the cigar that was punched out of the actual punch. I had to find a nearby pen to do this. Second, There is no key ring. At just under 3 inches long and under 1 inch wide, I'm afraid that I might loose this one. It would be nice to attach a key chain or something to it.

Overall, I would still recommend this! There are a very few number of punches out there that offer different sizes. I had been waiting 8 months for the Credo "3-in-1" punch to come out, but after multiple manufacturing issues, they have unofficially stopped production of it. Also, for the price (bought on Amazon for a significant discount under MSRP), it's spot-on with the prices of single bullet punches!

**I have no affiliation with Victorinox or Amazon. I'm just a BOTL who looked for reviews prior to purchasing this and found none, so I thought I would offer my review of it on the inter web!
ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #2
ZachF88
Feeling at Home

First Name: Zach
Trading: (32)
ZachF88 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Victorinox Swiss Army Knife Cigar Cutter (54850) review

Also, with the punch blade out, the holding of the whole knife is quite nice. In my left hand, I can hold the cigar with the cap facing up. In my right hand, I can hold the knife with my thumb and my 3 outer fingers wrapped around it and use my index finger to apply pressure to the punch blade.

ZachF88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I like that knife. That is a great idea.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #4
kickerb

pretty neat tool, thanks for the review and pics!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #5
BlindedByScience
Proud USMC Dad

First Name: Tom
Trading: (0)
BlindedByScience will become famous soon enough

I've had one of these for about a year, and it quickly became my fave tool. Still need a cutter for torps, but most of the time this the one I reach for. Extremely sharp punches and the sharp little knife blade makes getting under labels really easy..!!...

As with any cutter, you need to clean them now and then with a little alcohol to keep the oils from accumulating on the cutting surfaces. Alcohol wipes from the pharmacy work perfectly for this.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Very cool!!
Old 06-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotFromHere View Post
I've had one of these for about a year, and it quickly became my fave tool. Still need a cutter for torps, but most of the time this the one I reach for. Extremely sharp punches and the sharp little knife blade makes getting under labels really easy..!!...

As with any cutter, you need to clean them now and then with a little alcohol to keep the oils from accumulating on the cutting surfaces. Alcohol wipes from the pharmacy work perfectly for this.
To bad the scissors where not cutters!
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #8
Sherlockholms

Great Review, I like the stainless steel design.
Old 06-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
To bad the scissors where not cutters!
Wenger has one with cigar scissors

Victorinox also used to make a similar one with cigar scissors up until a few years ago. The scissors themselves were basically identical to those in the Wenger. I don't know which one of the two companies came out with the scissor version first.

With sharp blades, they make a brilliant cut.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote