Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Nickerson

Thumbs up Alec Bradley Sun Grown Robusto

Cigar Name: Alec Bradley, Sun Grown.
Cigar Size: Robusto, 5"x50.
Wrapper Type: Sun Grown.

I've been aware of Alec Bradley cigars since I got into smoking two years ago. Not sure why but they never really drew my attention. They got some great looking cigars, and I've read some great things, but I never felt the urge to actually buy some to try.

I put that to rest this past weekend. I put a $50.00 bid on a box of Alec Bradley Sun Grown Robusto's on CigarAuctioneer. These are a Famous-Smoke exclusive and they seem to get some pretty favorable reviews. These sell for $95.00 on Famous so I didn't really expect to win, but I did! 20 cigars at $55.00, hard to beat that.

Construction: 10/10

This is one of the best looking cigars you will ever find. A nice dark sun grown wrapper, minimal veins, very solid and heavy in hand.

Flavor: 19/25

The cigar tastes pretty good. Its pretty much woody and earthy from start to finish. There is a very light sweetness to it, and a little bit of nutty flavors. From start to finish it seemed to have the same taste, though a bit more intense near the end.

Draw: 8/10

The first inch or so had some troubles. The draw didn't seem that hard, but it wasn't producing much smoking. After the first 1" to 1.5" the draw really loosened up and was very easy to draw.

Burn: 10/10

Perfect. Razor sharp never more than 1/4" uneven at any point. Stayed lit after 5 minutes without drawing. What more can you ask for.

Ash: 5/5

Nice salt and pepper ash, the ash holds very well beyond the 1" mark.

Smoke: 4/5

As I mentioned with the draw, the first 1" to 1.5" had some difficulties. The draw didn't seem that bad, but it just wasn't producing much smoke. After the 1.5" though it loosened up and became very easy to draw and produced a sufficient amount of smoke.

Impression: 30/35

The cigar was very enjoyable. These normally retail at $5.00 a stick, but I got a killer deal on CigarAuctioneer for around $2.50 a stick. Its hard to beat that price. Medium-bodied, medium-flavor, medium-full strength. Perfect constructions, small issues with draw and smoke, good flavor, perfect burn. What more can you ask for?

Overall Rating: 86

A great first cigar from Alec Bradley. One thing to keep in mind is I smoked this thing right off the truck, so with at least 3 weeks of rest to allow them to settle, With a little rest I would expect the flavor to become more full bodied and full flavored. The initial draw issues should also be resolved once they stabilize a bit. Looking forward to seeing how these do with some rest and then aging.

If your a Alec Bradley fan or a Sun Grown fan, I recommend giving these cigars a try. If you are brave like me, snag a box of these on auction for around $50.00 for some hefty savings. You can also find 5ers of these on auction and on CigarMonster as well.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alec Bradley Sun Grown Robusto

Nice review...I really enjoy these!!