Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 PM   #1
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about
Default Savinelli filter question

I'm looking at getting a new Savinelli, and out of the couple I am looking out one takes the balsa filters, the other does not. Anyone have any opinions about these filters. A guy at the B&M told me he doesn't mind them, and gets 2 uses out of each filter by turning it around. I'm not concerned with the price of the filters just if they make the smoke any better, or if it's for the worse.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Mark
Tarheel.

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
Mark will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Savinelli filter question

Personally I find that they just filer out flavor, and I don't really know what the true purpose is. Not to mention there are two styles of balsa system filters, and one (the blue four pointed one) is REALLY hard to find, and it seems thats where the industry is going. You can smoke with it if you like the flavor, but I don't like what it does to the smoke.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

You usually get a spacer that goes in place of the filter with the Savs if you don't wanna use it. I think it's not so much a filter as it is a moisture wick. I never liked filters as I thought it interrupted the air flow that I preferred. I would say try it and if you don't like it, toss it. I wouldn't say they make the smoke any better at all though.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
atlharp
Microaggressor

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (1)
HUpmann
atlharp is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
You usually get a spacer that goes in place of the filter with the Savs if you don't wanna use it. I think it's not so much a filter as it is a moisture wick. I never liked filters as I thought it interrupted the air flow that I preferred. I would say try it and if you don't like it, toss it. I wouldn't say they make the smoke any better at all though.

Agreed,

My experience with filters is that they tend to hinder flow and flavor in a pipe rather than enhance it. I have yet to find a filter that does anything than cause problems in a pipe.

ATL
atlharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post

+2
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #6
bkv04fsu

I tried the balsa filters with my pipe, I liked it better than the paper ones, but overall I go filter less. Call me a mad-man
Old 08-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
The.Sheepdog
I Need More Pipes!

First Name: Bill
Trading: (0)
LGC AirForce (Disabled Vet)
The.Sheepdog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkv04fsu View Post
I tried the balsa filters with my pipe, I liked it better than the paper ones, but overall I go filter less. Call me a mad-man
No way anyone can call Hinderer knives or anyone involved with it mad. best darn knives I ever saw. and yea I had some striders. Could not keep them.

Now have a ZT 551 and feel better as I was afraid to mess the more expensive blades up. My Hinderer? stolen!
The.Sheepdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #8
bkv04fsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog View Post
No way anyone can call Hinderer knives or anyone involved with it mad. best darn knives I ever saw. and yea I had some striders. Could not keep them.

Now have a ZT 551 and feel better as I was afraid to mess the more expensive blades up. My Hinderer? stolen!
That's just no good bud. Yeah I love the hinderer design. They have been putting out.knives like crazy, get another while the getting is good!