Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Verdadero organic

A friend handed me this cellophane wrapped 6x52 Verdadero Organic cigar at a herf and asked me to review it. As I like to review cigars I took this cigar home, looked it up on the internet and the whole idea behind this cigar intrigued me, a cigar made from tobaccos grown without any pesticide or chemicals. The tobaccos are grown at the base of the Mombacho volcano in Nicaragua. As I do taste difference between bio industry and free range chicken for example, I was interested if I could taste a better love for the product and the environment in this cigar too.

The cigar has a sharp point and the burning end of the cigar is cut in an angle, maybe it was a monday morning cigar. The wrapper is pale with a few veins and looks a bit dry. The band isn't of the highest quality of print work. The cigar has a full smoky barnyard smell. The predraw is fine and I taste tobacco and spicy raisin.

I taste coffee and some burned soil. After a quarter of an inch the coffee disappears and a mild wood flavor joins the burned soil. The flavors are a bit musty, I suspect the wrapper is Connecticut shade. After half an inch the cigar gets really spicy, but the spiciness fades away just as quickly. The flavors are dry.

After a third the cigar becomes tasteless and the few flavors I taste aren't really nice, it reminds me of musty and rotting wood. After two thirds I also taste a very unpleasant sour flavor, the cigar gets so bad that I had to toss it.

I tossed the cigar after an hour and fifteen minutes as I couldn't punish myself any longer. The draw is great, just like the burn. I got enough smoke, but the smoke was too thin. The frayed ash is firm and has a salt & pepper color. This cigar is mild to medium flavored and mild to medium bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? NO WAY!!!

Appearance: 6 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 6 / 10
Aroma second part: 5 / 10
Aroma third part: 4 / 10
Old 07-28-2011, 03:28 PM   #2
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Verdadero organic

Wow...I like these quite a bit. They do need rest though. I take the cello off and let them sit for a few months.
Old 07-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Verdadero organic

Thanks for the review, Ferdie.

OK, I know it's only me and my solipsistic attachment to the meaning of words, but I feel that Phillies and bubblegum cigars are organic, and the sole exception I've ever seen of an inorganic one are those pens made to appear like Tiparillos. Oh, wait . . . since plastic is made from carbon-based materials, such as petroleum or coal, then they too are organic, by definition. So, am I merely nuts, or am I completely nuts?
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote