Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM   #61
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2016 Poker Chips....

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Still Favor Something Similar To This.
I agree with Greg.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:19 PM   #62
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

How about a guy like this then? Swap out cigarette for big cigar.

http://www.ww2gyrene.org/boot_camp.htm
Old 12-22-2015, 10:11 PM   #63
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

The more I think about it, the more I realize that we need to make our own! I was thinking about Churchill or US Grant- but I'm sure their visages are also copyrighted!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:17 AM   #64
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
The more I think about it, the more I realize that we need to make our own! I was thinking about Churchill or US Grant- but I'm sure their visages are also copyrighted!
The images themselves aren't but the picture might be. I think since we don't "profit" from the images and just use them for a hobby if you will, most likely we can do whatever we want butI am no lawyer.

Most likely we are below radar and concern. I can ask some lawyer friends but they don't specialize in copyright or patents so they would just be a slightly better opinion then myself.

Maybe Warner Bros will respond and a CEO will want to talk cigars? Could happen hah.
Old 12-23-2015, 11:06 AM   #65
CRIMPS
Benn/Seguin best friends

First Name: Zach
Trading: (50)
RA
CRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the roughCRIMPS is a jewel in the rough

Old 12-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #66
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Ok, here is the legal side. Summary, as long as we don't profit from the image, we can pretty much do whatever we want.

http://info.legalzoom.com/profit-vs-...ues-20396.html

Profit and Remedies

If your use of a copyrighted work is found to be an infringement, a variety of legal remedies are available to the copyright holder. If the copyright was registered with the U.S. Copyright Office before you infringed it, or within three months of its publication, you may be fined between $750 and $150,000 per act of infringement at the discretion of the court. The fact that you profited from the work might lead a court to assess a higher damage award against you. If the copyright was not registered in time, the court may still order you to turn over all of your profits to the copyright holder. If your use was for non-profit purposes and the work was not registered, the copyright holder must prove that he suffered actual damages from your use to win a judgment. It is often quite difficult to prove damages in copyright infringement cases when the infringing party did not profit from his use of the copyrighted material.

The nonprofit angle is often used by YouTube gamer commentaries when in game audio includes music that is trademarked. If you do not profit, Sony can't cause your video to be removed however, if you turn on advertising and profit, then Sony can make claims to the audio if it can meet some threshold above Fair Use which YouTube gives to Sony upon any claim. So video game reviewers have taken to removing music audio tracks if possible if they intend to profit from the review. Conversely, Twitch TV streams the actual content as it's being played and hasn't run afoul of Sony I presume because the stream isn't saved just broadcast.

Summary, we can do whatever we want, have at it.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #67
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weelok View Post
Ok, here is the legal side. Summary, as long as we don't profit from the image, we can pretty much do whatever we want.

http://info.legalzoom.com/profit-vs-...ues-20396.html

Profit and Remedies

If your use of a copyrighted work is found to be an infringement, a variety of legal remedies are available to the copyright holder. If the copyright was registered with the U.S. Copyright Office before you infringed it, or within three months of its publication, you may be fined between $750 and $150,000 per act of infringement at the discretion of the court. The fact that you profited from the work might lead a court to assess a higher damage award against you. If the copyright was not registered in time, the court may still order you to turn over all of your profits to the copyright holder. If your use was for non-profit purposes and the work was not registered, the copyright holder must prove that he suffered actual damages from your use to win a judgment. It is often quite difficult to prove damages in copyright infringement cases when the infringing party did not profit from his use of the copyrighted material.

The nonprofit angle is often used by YouTube gamer commentaries when in game audio includes music that is trademarked. If you do not profit, Sony can't cause your video to be removed however, if you turn on advertising and profit, then Sony can make claims to the audio if it can meet some threshold above Fair Use which YouTube gives to Sony upon any claim. So video game reviewers have taken to removing music audio tracks if possible if they intend to profit from the review. Conversely, Twitch TV streams the actual content as it's being played and hasn't run afoul of Sony I presume because the stream isn't saved just broadcast.

Summary, we can do whatever we want, have at it.

"This article was created by and is owned by Demand Media, its subsidiaries, affiliates, or contractors ("Demand Media") and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of LegalZoom. Nothing stated or implied in this article should be construed to be legal, tax, or professional advice. Demand Media is not a law firm and this article should not be interpreted as creating an attorney-client or legal advisor relationship. For questions regarding your specific situation, please consult a qualified attorney. LegalZoom is not a law firm and can only provide self-help services at your specific direction."

Also bear in mind that the company manufacturing the poker chips will be making a profit, so using an image without permission potentially puts them at risk. Your you tube example is not applicable since there are no tangible, physical goods involved, and no third party making a profit.

Last edited by T.G; 12-23-2015 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #68
bonjing
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Trading: (39)
bonjing has disabled reputation

How about a limited run of the ToE. A limited number of each chip with one of the ToE's picture on each chip

Sorry ToE's, I just woke up
Old 12-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #69
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Hafta agree with Adam. The TOE will have to make the final decision, but in the litigious society we live in we need to tread carefully when using images of people or cartoons/drawings. Even if I take a picture of a guy re-enacting a German General- if I want to profit from that picture I would need his permission. That is why some photogs have model releases in their camera bags. Ideally we have one of the talented folks here draw a soldier and use that depiction on the coin. I doubt a small group like ours has anything to worry about and IF we were "found out" we'd probably simply get a "cease and desist" order, but why even tempt fate? Let's go with our own design.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #70
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
How about a limited run of the ToE. A limited number of each chip with one of the ToE's picture on each chip

They may have to throw Peters chip in the clearance aisle.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:32 PM   #71
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post

You get a pass, buddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
You, on the other hand.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #72
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

How would we ever get a picture of Tyr since we never see him?

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Tır and Mr. Mark!
Old 12-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #73
T.G
Grrrrrr

Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
I copyrighted Peter's image a few days ago and I find that unacceptable.

A BOGO would be ok by me though.
Old 12-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #74
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Sure. But which one of the many Photochops of me would you use? There are easily a dozen viable choices. Can you say "Commemorative Set"?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:51 PM   #75
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

Or we could just email the artist and ask him to use the image, let him know it's not for profit, they are just commemorative and are traded back and forth between the members, maybe toss him a cigar or two if he's interested, I don't think it's a huge deal and worth asking. I'm sure there's a contact link on that site is anyone here a member of Deviant?
Old 12-23-2015, 01:53 PM   #76
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post

Also bear in mind that the company manufacturing the poker chips will be making a profit, so using an image without permission potentially puts them at risk. Your you tube example is not applicable since there are no tangible, physical goods involved, and no third party making a profit.
You bring up an interesting point however I stand by my assertion that it's a non-profit activity since the company making the chips makes profit from the chips themselves and not from any artwork etc we ask them to use. The same could be said for publishers of others works as well as T-Shirt companies who provide a service to the owners of the images but don't actually profit from the copywrited material and instead profit from the service.

So back to my assertion, we can use the images as long as it's not for profit for ourselves. And even more so if it's a one time activity and on a limited run.
Old 12-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #77
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Unless folks posting here practice copyright/patent law (and can offer solid advice), I am inclined to avoid any possible issues - no matter how strong the assertions or "potential" lack of risk.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #78
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

So my mate Jon (who did the soldier guy I posted) can draw just about anything. So with some generic guidelines, he'll whip us up some samples.

I'll ask him to do a few military theme subjects - concept sketches first.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:13 PM   #79
pnoon
YNWA

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
So my mate Jon (who did the soldier guy I posted) can draw just about anything. So with some generic guidelines, he'll whip us up some samples.

I'll ask him to do a few military theme subjects - concept sketches first.

Thanks, Neil.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:22 PM   #80
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

A Mountie with a cigar hanging from his mouth? It could be a regional release
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
Closed Thread