Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 12-04-2010, 11:17 AM   #1
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road
Default Davidoff Review: first impressions

As the title says, this is my first time smoking a Davidoff so I thought I would do sort of a "live review" and update the thread while smoking, so I can just record my thoughts as they come to me.

This one appears to be a standard PC size smoke, I'm guessing 5x42. The band has the number 2000 printed on the side, not sure if that means anything. Here's a crappy phone pic.

Right off the bat here, I'm enjoying the overall flavor but having trouble distinguishing individual characteristics. The perfect balance of the blend is honestly the most defining characteristic so far.

It's definitely more salty than sweet. There is the faintest hint of sour grass, which is a flavor I usually associate with lighter Connecticut shade wrappers, although the wrapper on this one looks a little darker, closer to a rosado maybe.

I'll update in a minute and see how it progresses.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:01 PM   #2
JJG
Have My Own Room

Partagas
Default Re: Davidoff Review: first impressions

This one is burning down quickly! I just finished my first post and realized I'm already getting towards the halfway mark.

The flavor hasn't changed much, which is a good thing, because I'm really enjoying the flavor of this cigar. It's a little on the mild side for me, but the balance of the blend is just perfect.

The only criticism I can come up with, is that there really isn't a "signature" flavor here that I can distinguish. For example, a Don Carlos has an unmistakable blend of sweet cinnamon balanced against a hefty amount of cedar, or when you light a Padron. You don't need to be told it's a Padron because they all have that dry cocoa mouth feel and weird "pumpkin spice" flavor that sets them apart from any other cigar.

This Davidoff is a wonderful smoke, but I'm not convinced I could pick it out blind, which for me, is the difference between an 'A' and an 'A+' so to speak. Nevertheless, this cigar has definitely been a pleasure to smoke so far.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

The 2000 is a very smooth and mild stick. One of the first "real" cigars that I ever tried.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
JJG
Have My Own Room

Partagas

Final Thoughts: I really liked this cigar. Don't get me wrong, but I can think of a handful of smokes at the same price, that are a little more interesting and complex. This was a great smoke, just not one that I would consider a new fave.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
nexprofit

i had my first davidoff special R yesterday and it was gone way too fast. i tasted leather. and i liked the taste it left on my lips more than anything. not sure what the wrapper was, but i liked it. im sticking with my maduros tho.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:10 PM   #6
CigarDoc

I divide my smoking into 2 distinct categories: A) Full bodied smokes and B) Davidoffs.
I guess what I mean by this is I almost always smoke "full bodied" cigars. Typically I smoke after dinner. I eat, the wife and I put the little man to bed, and I sit on the porch after the sun has gone down and have a good cigar. Typically, my selections are DPG's, 601's, Tat's, Fuente, an Edge every now and then. But when I feel like a smoke and it's any other time of the day, I almost always reach for a Davidoff. IMHO, there isn't another stick out there that has the flavor profile of a Davidoff. I've tried a ton of sticks recommended by B&M's that claim to have the same flavors, but I've never found one. The flavors that I've found from them are fresh cut grass, a flaky pastry like a crossoiant (however you spell it) hibiscus flower (I've never tasted a hibiscus flower, but the scent reminds me of the taste of a davidoff) mild cinnamon, and straight but light tobacco. Davidoff is by far my favorite brand, and if I wouln't end up in the poor house, I'd buy alot more of them. I have one CC Davidoff that I was gifted over 3 years ago, but I just havn't found the opportunity or reason to smoke it yet. I guess my mind won't let go of the fact that I'll probably never get one again after that one! I don't know if it works for other people, but I like to read reviews of what I'm smoking when I smoke it so I can see if I get the same flavors as other people. It kind of gives me a "oh that's what I'm tasting, I put my finger on it!" Try another Davi, I like the Perfecto a lot, and the Special R is a must try too.

Doc
Old 07-14-2011, 07:25 AM   #7
nexprofit

i tried the special R. and it was a walk on the opposite side of what im used to. i havent smoked something with light flavors before. and it seemed like it wasnt a full flavored cigar. the burn was way to fast and wouldnt burn even. but like i said, the flavor it left on my lips was sweet every time i licked them. ill wait a while before i try the perfecto. davidoff is proud of their name. or they need to hire some rollers for minimum wage to drop their overhead costs. $15 bucks a stick is a lil pricey for a 30 min smoke for me....well i say that. but i still end up buying those pricey sticks all the damn time
Old 07-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
CigarDoc

I dunno what happened to the stick you got. I've never had any burn issues with Davidoff. Might have not been stored properly before you got it. Most of mine seem to burn longer than most cigars the same size. The millennium series is a bit stronger than the rest of their line. The Maduro R is great too.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
nexprofit

Maduro R, i am putting that on my list.
thanks Doc. ill let you know how it goes when i get to it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #10
baddevildog82

The Millennium series are the only NC Davidoffs that I have truly enjoyed. The rest are too light and too grassy for me. I feel the same way about a lot of the AVO's.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarDoc View Post
I have one CC Davidoff that I was gifted over 3 years ago, but I just havn't found the opportunity or reason to smoke it yet. I guess my mind won't let go of the fact that I'll probably never get one again after that one!
Doc
A worse thought is never being able to smoke it because something happens to you before you get the chance. Now, I'm not saying go out in a rainstorm and smoke it under the umbrella, but sometimes just being alive is reason enough to enjoy a great cigar.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:19 AM   #12
CigarDoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
A worse thought is never being able to smoke it because something happens to you before you get the chance. Now, I'm not saying go out in a rainstorm and smoke it under the umbrella, but sometimes just being alive is reason enough to enjoy a great cigar.
Bad juju! I'm in Afghanistan, in the worst province in the country.There have been more KIA's here than all the other 20 something provinces combined. I've only had 3 CC's. A Bolivar BF, and a Bolivar GM. I smoked those two and the other one is the one that's sitting in the humi. I'll smoke it when I get back from this tour. I'm supposed to take my wife and little man to Disney, so I'll bring it with me and fire it up.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 AM   #13
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Sorry, brother. I meant no disrespect. I had no idea you were deployed. Obviously, I would've had a better choice of words, had I known.

Again, my sincere apologies. And thank you for your service!
Posted via Mobile Device
pektel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Bad juju! I'm in Afghanistan, in the worst province in the country.There have been more KIA's here than all the other 20 something provinces combined. I've only had 3 CC's. A Bolivar BF, and a Bolivar GM. I smoked those two and the other one is the one that's sitting in the humi. I'll smoke it when I get back from this tour. I'm supposed to take my wife and little man to Disney, so I'll bring it with me and fire it up.
Sounds like you have a great celebration stick ready for when you get back to me.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
baddevildog82

Quote:
I'll smoke it when I get back from this tour. I'm supposed to take my wife and little man to Disney, so I'll bring it with me and fire it up.
Get home safely and enjoy the well deserved trip with the family. I am really looking forward to taking my son to Disney when he is a little bit older!
Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #16
Mattso3000
Will ninja for beer

First Name: Matt
Trading: (20)
HdM
Mattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the roughMattso3000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattso3000 View Post
Sounds like you have a great celebration stick ready for when you get back home.
How autocorrect hit it that way??? fixt.
Mattso3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:23 AM   #17
burnem
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Ernie
Trading: (3)
Partagas AirForce (Active)
burnem is on a distinguished road

I I agree with what's been said here and I think the Maduro R is great. Anyone looking for stronger stick should try the Millineum Series.
burnem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
CigarDoc

No worries on the deployment thing, it ain't my first rodeo! I was more kidding than anything. I like the Milleneum series the best, I can't wait to try their new line the "Puro d'Oro" I have enjoyed the "Winston Churchill" line too. They are a great smoke. I like the Avo XO line, but that's about it for the Avo's. I havn't tried a Zino or a Griffins in a while, so I might be visiting them again soon. Davidoff is the only not full bodied cigar that I enjoy at all, so it gets dangerous when I go to a spot that they sell them with my Discover card!

Last edited by CigarDoc; 07-19-2011 at 01:52 PM. Reason: forgot some stuff.